Spittin' Chiclets Podcast - Part II

Ray Mercer

Oct 3, 2018
Not every person likes having their ego stroked. Who’s to say they haven’t asked for those guys and those guys have declined? And there are people out there who aren’t big fans of barstool for whatever reasons so maybe some of those guys you mentioned fall in that camp?

You’re right some people do like to remain private but I would imagine the majority of retired players especially during Covid would love to sit down and talk about hockey and their careers for an hour. I highly doubt all of the players I listed off initially turned down an interview. I just enjoy hearing about guys they found difficult to play against back in the day, who was underrated and overrated, do they enjoy the modern game as much with the decreased hitting and fighting, what players do they enjoy watching today, who mentored them, what team was the best they played on, what aspect of the game was their weakest, what did they have to work on most, what was their training like, what coaches did they enjoy best, do they have any career regrets, what would they like to see more in the modern game, are they still involved with the game, what players got under their skin, who impressed them the most etc. These are all great topics that would be amazing to hear discussed by legends of the game. I absolutely hate the Bruins but listening to the Cam Neely and Adam Oates interviews were so interesting. Neely was a beast and he talked about how he hated staged fights and didn’t understand why guy should have to fight after delivering a big clean hit. I couldn’t agree with him more. This is the kind of stuff they should be focusing more on.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
They should focus on getting stars from the 90’s more they’ll tell any stories they’re entertaining .

If you want good stories, you'll want the enforcers and journeyman guys, not the star players. Stars are boring.

Tie Domi was one of my favorite all time interviews on Chiclets. He talked about the Flyers fan incident and all the legal fees he accrued and how he made up with the guy, among lots of other things. Very entertaining

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
As much as they may want to deny it or avoid acknowledging it, the quality of the guests they have been able to bring on has taken a massive hit since the Roenick episode.
I measure their "quality of guests" on the guys/girls who can tell stories and are great interviews. 95% of the time it's the lesser known guys who provide the best stories.

Reactions: bluuuurr

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
Loved the Brent Sutter interview, thought it was one of the better episodes they've done in a while.

Generally think the pod seems to be getting more polished. Wonder if they would ever consider bringing in a regular guest for a shorter segment every week or something.

They brought in Grinelli's roommate for a few episodes where he would tell his dating stories on Hinge. It was clearly sponsored content and cringe AF, but it seems like they were trying to create some sort of segment with it.

A weekly Rink Shrink segment would be awesome, assuming it doesn't get old after a few weeks.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Sutter was the best interview in idk how long. Nothing against anyone else but he had me rolling, especially since he has a dry delivery.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I can't listen to any of these new age players on the podcast. I only like listening to retired guys tbh. These new guys are so bland typical hockey bros.
I don't listen to the podcast myself and was just browsing this thread, but the modern player has gone through so much PR training and they still have something on the line as they're actively playing.

Obviously there's generational differences as well but I don't think those two factors can be overlooked. The modern NHLer is just not marketable and is forced to be bland because hockey.

Ray Mercer

Oct 3, 2018
I’ve been jumping ship to the Cam and Strick podcast and I have to say their guests and interviews are better. If you enjoy interviews from guys who played in the 80’s and 90’s I recommend their podcast.

Reactions: Nikki Potnick

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Loved the Brent Sutter interview, thought it was one of the better episodes they've done in a while.

Generally think the pod seems to be getting more polished. Wonder if they would ever consider bringing in a regular guest for a shorter segment every week or something.

But do you want Kevin Hayes or Keith Yandle on the show every week? :laugh: :sarcasm:

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

But do you want Kevin Hayes or Keith Yandle on the show every week? :laugh: :sarcasm:

Nikki Potnick

Aug 26, 2020
Where the sun don't shine
I’ve been jumping ship to the Cam and Strick podcast and I have to say their guests and interviews are better. If you enjoy interviews from guys who played in the 80’s and 90’s I recommend their podcast.
Same. I'll continue to listen to Chiclets, but I think Cam and Strick have won me over.

In the past month-ish alone, they've had Todd Bertuzzi, Mike Babcock, Gary Thorne, Brett Hull on, and they're able to ask them all the good questions. It's pretty clear that after the Roenick incident (and probably just the overall vibe of SC) that certain players prefer to talk with Cam and Strick. Their guest list is becoming, if not already, better than SC.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
The Pastrnak interview was hilarious.

Him telling the story of the bet with Tom Wilson in the bubble was hilarious, basically if Pastrnak lost, he had to tweet that Wilson was the best goal scorer in the NHL (which he lost) and if he won, he would drop the gloves and Wilson would have let him one punch him, hahaha.

This guy oozes charisma.

CartographerNo611

Oct 11, 2014
Same. I'll continue to listen to Chiclets, but I think Cam and Strick have won me over.

In the past month-ish alone, they've had Todd Bertuzzi, Mike Babcock, Gary Thorne, Brett Hull on, and they're able to ask them all the good questions. It's pretty clear that after the Roenick incident (and probably just the overall vibe of SC) that certain players prefer to talk with Cam and Strick. Their guest list is becoming, if not already, better than SC.

That Babcock interview was horrendous. It wasn’t bad in a funny way either, it was this guy is so full of himself to the point I pity him bad. Even Cam and Strick were struggling to say good things about it afterwards. And yeah, Cam and Strick are the better interviewers.

Reactions: JasonRoseEh

Nikki Potnick

Aug 26, 2020
Where the sun don't shine
That Babcock interview was horrendous. It wasn’t bad in a funny way either, it was this guy is so full of himself to the point I pity him bad. Even Cam and Strick were struggling to say good things about it afterwards. And yeah, Cam and Strick are the better interviewers.
The best interview I've heard of Babcock, because C&S wouldn't keep pushing him on his issues.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

Yea a lot of the time it seems like SC has a bunch of former AHL/NHL tweeners - guys who might have some funny stories but few about the NHL and the life around it since they didn't play much in the big league. I know Strickland is/was a longtime Blues beat writer so he probably has a whole host of guys he can ask; most of whom are major guys in the sport as you listed.

Is their podcast overseen/owned by anyone? I.E. I agree about the JR incident but before the interviews were awesome since Barstool is pretty open when it comes to content and creativity.

Bruins4Lifer

Jun 28, 2006
Regina, SK
The Pastrnak interview was hilarious.

Him telling the story of the bet with Tom Wilson in the bubble was hilarious, basically if Pastrnak lost, he had to tweet that Wilson was the best goal scorer in the NHL (which he lost) and if he won, he would drop the gloves and Wilson would have let him one punch him, hahaha.

This guy oozes charisma.
I'm obviously biased as a Bruins fan, but I think Pasta was one of their best interviews from a current player they've ever had.

Bobby Orrtuzzo

Ya know
Jul 8, 2015
St. Louis
I'm obviously biased as a Bruins fan, but I think Pasta was one of their best interviews from a current player they've ever had.
I actually agree. Truth be told when I saw he was gonna be on I was like “oh great, another Boston slober job incoming” but it was very good and Pasta seems like a very likeable dude

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Whit and Biz are naturally good conversationalists and storytellers so the show still has it's moments where it is very good (like the Pastrnak interview). However, it has without a doubt become stale. There has been no progression in terms of the show's format and really no changes to the pod at all other than the addition of Biz. I was in love with this pod from the time it was first released but it has changed from an absolute must-listen from start to finish as soon as a new episode is released to maybe just something I tune in to if their guest is interesting and even then I usually just fast forward right to the interview portion.

I guess to a certain extent it was inevitable it would lose its luster but I do feel there are changes or developments that could be made to freshen things up. Their guest list has always been drawn largely from Whit and Biz's circle of friends + local Boston people which has produced some of their best interviews (Yandle x3, Yandle's brother Ross Yandle, Getzlaf, etc.) but they need to start widening that net a bit. It seems like they are either reluctant to bring on players whose first language is something other than English or they've just been unsuccessful in doing so. Great, you got Crosby, Pronger, McDavid, Matthews, Marner etc. How about Patrick Roy, Jaromir Jagr, Alex Ovechkin, Igor Larionov? All these guys are more than capable of doing great, funny interviews in English. Look at how good Pastrnak was. But why even limit ourselves to players who can speak English? They should get a rotation of solid, dynamic translators in the usual "hockey languages" like French, Russian, Swedish, Czech, Finnish etc. Am I the only one who'd love to hear them talk with Kirill Kaprizov right now? Artemi Panarin? I know, easier said than done. However, if the show is going to continue for a long time and be strong then they need to make efforts to expand the interview list beyond just Whit and Biz's boys.

The other problem they have is they seem to have appointed RA their facts and stats guy when he's really not suited for that role. I get that a huge chunk of the audience doesn't want to listen to stats, let alone advanced stats, but if we're going to do a regular segment for gambling on hockey maybe it wouldn't hurt to actually give some hard numbers and analysis justifying the picks as opposed to just having RA say "I really like team X tonight against team Y."

Reactions: Voight

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Whit and Biz are naturally good conversationalists and storytellers so the show still has it's moments where it is very good (like the Pastrnak interview). However, it has without a doubt become stale. There has been no progression in terms of the show's format and really no changes to the pod at all other than the addition of Biz. I was in love with this pod from the time it was first released but it has changed from an absolute must-listen from start to finish as soon as a new episode is released to maybe just something I tune in to if their guest is interesting and even then I usually just fast forward right to the interview portion.

I guess to a certain extent it was inevitable it would lose its luster but I do feel there are changes or developments that could be made to freshen things up. Their guest list has always been drawn largely from Whit and Biz's circle of friends + local Boston people which has produced some of their best interviews (Yandle x3, Yandle's brother Ross Yandle, Getzlaf, etc.) but they need to start widening that net a bit. It seems like they are either reluctant to bring on players whose first language is something other than English or they've just been unsuccessful in doing so. Great, you got Crosby, Pronger, McDavid, Matthews, Marner etc. How about Patrick Roy, Jaromir Jagr, Alex Ovechkin, Igor Larionov? All these guys are more than capable of doing great, funny interviews in English. Look at how good Pastrnak was. But why even limit ourselves to players who can speak English? They should get a rotation of solid, dynamic translators in the usual "hockey languages" like French, Russian, Swedish, Czech, Finnish etc. Am I the only one who'd love to hear them talk with Kirill Kaprizov right now? Artemi Panarin? I know, easier said than done. However, if the show is going to continue for a long time and be strong then they need to make efforts to expand the interview list beyond just Whit and Biz's boys.

The other problem they have is they seem to have appointed RA their facts and stats guy when he's really not suited for that role. I get that a huge chunk of the audience doesn't want to listen to stats, let alone advanced stats, but if we're going to do a regular segment for gambling on hockey maybe it wouldn't hurt to actually give some hard numbers and analysis justifying the picks as opposed to just having RA say "I really like team X tonight against team Y."

He's a gambler, not a gambling expert. There's a twitter account called RA's Gambling Corner that compiles all of his bets and he barely breaks even. He's in no position to offer any sort of betting advice.

Reactions: Voight

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad