SPHL to Danville?

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Still unconfirmed, but an attendee at tonight's arena board meeting posted on F/B that the "Danville Bobcats" will be the SPHL team playing at Palmer Arena.

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
Seems awful sudden to have a team name ready and everything.

Also, enunciation or alliteration is sometimes better for some of these markets. I don't know if the area is going to embrace this new club.

Atlantian

Dec 13, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Call me a pessimist or whatever but I am really not seeing how this team plans to make money. We had stated our doubts with the increased costs as well as having the smallest arena in the league and the dashers not drawing well. Well here is their ticket pricing courtesy of the Bobcats Facebook:

Ticket prices have been set for the 2021-22 season.
Children 0-2 years old
Free
Children 3-12 years old
$5.00
Students with ID, Seniors, Military, and First Responders
$7.00
Adults
$10.00

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Call me a pessimist or whatever but I am really not seeing how this team plans to make money. We had stated our doubts with the increased costs as well as having the smallest arena in the league and the dashers not drawing well. Well here is their ticket pricing courtesy of the Bobcats Facebook:

Children 0-2 years old
Free
Children 3-12 years old
$5.00
$7.00
Adults
$10.00
Compare those to the single-game prices published by the Dashers prior to cancellation of their 2020-21 season. Seems that the new local owner has more faith in her ability to fill the house than Barry Soskin did. :huh:

CrazyEddie20

Hey RuZZia - Cut Your Losses and Go Home.
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car

Children 0-2 years old
Free
Children 3-12 years old
$5.00
$7.00
Adults
$10.00

Assume you comp 10% of the arena's capacity, or 235 seats. That gives you 2,115 remaining paid seats. Assume 33% (698) are kids, that's $3,490 in revenue. That leaves room for 1,417 paying adults, generating $14,170, for a "best case Ontario" game total of $17,660 in revenue for $494,480 of ticket revenue in a 28 game home schedule.

Danville's BEST average attendance since joining the Federal No-Prospects Hockey League is 1,154 in 2016-17. If you make the above calculations at the same rate, you'd be selling 343 kids tickets and 696 adult tickets, generating $242,900 over a 28-game season.

It costs around $1.2 million to operate an SPHL team each season. How much sponsorship revenue can they possibly generate in a city with a population of 33,000 and a county population of 81,000?

Minor League Rando

Mar 13, 2021
I will just leave what I posted on twitter as my reaction to the ticket prices. Eddie nailed everything.
Ez7WAEDXMAAWHXa

Edit: Attempting to kill my brain cells and looking at the reactions on Zuckbook. Oh god the amount of people who think this is a good thing. This is why you never listen to Facebook people.

Last edited:

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Assume you comp 10% of the arena's capacity, or 235 seats. That gives you 2,115 remaining paid seats. Assume 33% (698) are kids, that's $3,490 in revenue. That leaves room for 1,417 paying adults, generating $14,170, for a "best case Ontario" game total of $17,660 in revenue for $494,480 of ticket revenue in a 28 game home schedule.

Danville's BEST average attendance since joining the Federal No-Prospects Hockey League is 1,154 in 2016-17. If you make the above calculations at the same rate, you'd be selling 343 kids tickets and 696 adult tickets, generating $242,900 over a 28-game season. ...
From observations at the handful of weekend Dashers games I've attended, the typical crowd was never as heavy on 3-12 year olds as you've assumed (more like 10-12% of attendees - perhaps there are lots of babysitters in town, or the kids are left home alone to drink the cheap beer). But the $7 Student Discount might get a brisk workout from what I witnessed, so your numbers probably aren't TOO pessimistic.

Reactions: Atlantian

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
From observations at the handful of weekend Dashers games I've attended, the typical crowd was never as heavy on 3-12 year olds as you've assumed (more like 10-12% of attendees - perhaps there are lots of babysitters in town, or the kids are left home alone to drink the cheap beer). But the $7 Student Discount might get a brisk workout from what I witnessed, so your numbers probably aren't TOO pessimistic.

As someone who attended an old CHL game back when I was a youngin' and the Coliseum was a dump (we're talking turn of the millennium), the FPHL never really is meant to market to the younger members of the family based on who they market to... and they don't market much to begin with.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->