SPHL player suspended for one year for assaulting linesman

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Well.... considering that Darling's the only SPHLer to ever crack an NHL roster as far as I'm aware, I'd hardly highlight him as an example rather than an exception.

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
For every negative comment regarding the SPHL I am sure there are four times as many who enjoy what the SPHL brings to the people that support it. If the SPHL was such an easy league to crack then come on folks, step up and tryout to make the cut. The hockey players, coaches, front office staff, officials are getting paid to be a part of what they love, in the game they love. Each share a goal to compete hard for maybe a shot at a title, maybe get a chance at a call up, and provide a fun fan experience and maybe even some civic pride to the communities in the league. The SPHL seems to fill a need, it seems to be run very well for hockey at this level, so whats the deal. The guy involved is obviously a head case, could benefit from some anger management therapy lol, and should just be dealt with appropriately by the league which it looks like they have done. The coach of Peoria had hit the nail on the head with regards to this clown. His behavior should not be viewed as to what the SPHL represents. In a few years as the hockey landscape changes in the northeast their might be a few former AHL cities wishing they could even be a part of a league much like that of even the SPHL.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
The SPHL isn't a necessary league. I think that's the garbage point of it. Hell the ECHL in terms of the word necessary really isn't. The point is SPHL guys are going nowhere. Maybe some ECHL action if lucky.

Pretty delusional on your part dont ya think, arent you an Elmira fan? Most SPHL cities are like four times the size of Elmira lol and the arenas they play in are not only twice the size but twice as nice. Why do the players have to get called up to the ECHL or AHL to be necessary or of any significance? They play for living, with a goal to win the SPHL title for the city they play in, and for the fans who pay to watch them and the businesses thay sponsor them, hmmm imagine that. Sounds like minor pro hockey to me lol. Southern cities, healthy economics, mild to warm markets, nice mid size arenas, wow then there is Elmira NY, but no offense lol. Dying Upstate NY town, drawing not enough to sustain the team or building they play in. Elmira reminds me of the Johnstown Chiefs where the local economy has been in a downward free fall in over several decades, and support for the Elmira Jackals over the last several years has been in severe decline as well. Fans supported the Jackals better in the lower level UHL then they did in the developmental minded ECHL. How does your "necessity" argument have any merrit? It doesnt have any. Fans there enjoyed cheaper hockey, in a lower level, more for the entertainment and civic pride then they did for the remote chance a player may move up to the AHL.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
The SPHL isn't a necessary league. I think that's the garbage point of it. Hell the ECHL in terms of the word necessary really isn't. The point is SPHL guys are going nowhere. Maybe some ECHL action if lucky.
Thats like saying the Elmira Jackals are garbage because in a couple of years they wont be irrelevant because they are going to end up folding or going single A...... and the SPHL is miles ahead of where it used to be. and it serves a purpose moving players up. look at Darling or Riley Gill. so its kinda of a narrow minded comment to bash a league thats on par with the ECHL of the 1990s. once again the haters overlook facts and throw us in the same catagory as the FHL :shakehead:laugh:

I know they will go under but Pensacola doesn't have room to jab. I admit I'm one of those who wouldn't want a team just to have it. If not quality I really wouldn't want a team. I'd rather watch juniors over Single A and they aren't pros.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
They play but the quality isn't even CoUHL level. Hockey wouldn't suffer if we got rid of the SPHL. I can't tell you why Elmira is in the ECHL but the longest running team of Wheeling doesn't have a big building either.

As for Scott Darling he's a goalie. Its like a pitcher. The NHL has 60 goalie positions available. Outside of your star starters most teams goalie positions are up for grabs and the difference between an NHL backup and an AHL starter isn't much. Intact those guys often switch leagues from one to the next lol

IceFlyersRule

Palmtrees N' Pucks
Sep 15, 2011
They play but the quality isn't even CoUHL level. Hockey wouldn't suffer if we got rid of the SPHL. I can't tell you why Elmira is in the ECHL but the longest running team of Wheeling doesn't have a big building either.

As for Scott Darling he's a goalie. Its like a pitcher. The NHL has 60 goalie positions available. Outside of your star starters most teams goalie positions are up for grabs and the difference between an NHL backup and an AHL starter isn't much. Intact those guys often switch leagues from one to the next lol

wow. I just cant disagree with you more. hockey is hockey. sure we have abominations like the FHL. but the SPHL to me is on par with the ECHL of the late 90s. but you wouldn't know that as Elmira wasnt even a Thought in Brosal's Head at the time. this league most definitely serves a few purposes. it keeps us hockey fans entertained. it keeps Arenas booked on nights they would rather not be. It promotes local business in the markets. and it makes the folks in those cities proud to have a pro hockey team. like it or not the league even helps players move up in the hockey world. and the hockey is entertaining. and until you come and see a game I would not count it out and make narrow Baseless Claims like you have in this Thread. and just asking how does Pensacola have no room to talk? our ownership group is 100 times better than Elmira's. maybe if our guys owned the Jackals the team would have those longtime fans that weren't alienated by your current ownership as well as the casual fan. not the 1,500 a night you guys seem to draw now.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
The NHL regular season product is ho him to watch. The playoffs are great though. Ever since they have ruined the game by trying to make it all about offense regular season games aren't as exciting to watch.

PredsFanFromla

Jul 10, 2010
louisiana
The SPHL is the only hockey most of us have down here,Glad to be a proud season ticket holder of the louisiana icegators and boy,do we hate tyler sheldrake(our nickname for him is Sasquatch).

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
There's something to be said for what the SPHL has that the AHL (as a 15 year season ticket holder) doesn't. A more physical game and guys playing long term for teams leading to rivalries. 10-15 years ago you knew all the goons on say Hartford or Manchester or Portland when they'd come though and you'd get geared up for it as part of a good physical hockey matchup. Now you just don't have that even with teams playing each other 12 times a year. Instead, they settle into this very stale, passive brand of hockey, almost as if they know each other too well. I can't say that any team Providence plays makes my blood boil like it did in the late 90's or early 2000's. It doesn't mean I want to see a bench clearing brawl every night, but by god every once in awhile a donnybrook would be nice.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
There's something to be said for what the SPHL has that the AHL (as a 15 year season ticket holder) doesn't. A more physical game and guys playing long term for teams leading to rivalries. 10-15 years ago you knew all the goons on say Hartford or Manchester or Portland when they'd come though and you'd get geared up for it as part of a good physical hockey matchup. Now you just don't have that even with teams playing each other 12 times a year. Instead, they settle into this very stale, passive brand of hockey, almost as if they know each other too well. I can't say that any team Providence plays makes my blood boil like it did in the late 90's or early 2000's. It doesn't mean I want to see a bench clearing brawl every night, but by god every once in awhile a donnybrook would be nice.

Most of today's players are so passive. It almost seems as if the scrums after a play around the crease are uncomfortable to them.

Like so many things, pendulums tend to swing too far the other direction under reforms. While I don't need to see a team with 3 guys with 350 PIM on the roster, the modern day minor league player with less than .5 PIM per game is becoming the norm.

The boring norm.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad