SPHL making history: female refs

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Very cool to see, but.... oy, I'd hate to imagine them trying to break up a fight between two goons with a combined weight of 500 lbs at center ice....

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Very cool to see, but.... oy, I'd hate to imagine them trying to break up a fight between two goons with a combined weight of 500 lbs at center ice....

IMO it will me lot easier. When the big boys will see, that there are women, they will cool down.
But the is another issue. You know, its ice hockey and trash talk is a part of it. Also from the spectators. How will they react?

ForsbergForever

May 19, 2004
IMO it will me lot easier. When the big boys will see, that there are women, they will cool down.
But the is another issue. You know, its ice hockey and trash talk is a part of it. Also from the spectators. How will they react?

I doubt hearing the guys trash talk each other on the ice will offend the dainty, virginal ears of the women refs. And if any of the players decide to make sexist comments i would expect the league to take appropriate disciplinary measures.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
They won't be able to break up fights and probably won't be able to keep up with the pace of play.

A pure publicity stunt.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Eh... I wouldn't be that cynical. Plus, how much real positive press would you expect a league that has a couple female refs to really get? Or extra ticket sales?

Not really anticipating any.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
I doubt hearing the guys trash talk each other on the ice will offend the dainty, virginal ears of the women refs. And if any of the players decide to make sexist comments i would expect the league to take appropriate disciplinary measures.

Nope. I'd expect to see an "abuse of official" penalty immediately.

And perhaps league fines/suspensions, depending on the severity.

The leagues (and officials' unions, if at that level) take any abuse, physical or verbal, of (on or off ice) officials very seriously.

CrazyEddie20

Hey RuZZia - Cut Your Losses and Go Home.
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
They won't be able to break up fights and probably won't be able to keep up with the pace of play.

As to your first statement, you don't seem to understand the difference between referees and linesmen. As to part two, you should know that elite female players skate just as fast or faster than SPHL players.

Francis10

Jan 28, 2012
Canada
Not too sure about that.....the Canadian Womens National Team plays exhibition games vs Midget AAA and Junior B teams and the games are very close. Granted some are great skaters, but most aren't from what I have watched.

Great that the SPHL is trying female refs though. I like it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad