SPHL Gains One Team Then Loses Another

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
uh, CH, yes I DO know the history of Roanoke hockey, even before you chimed in. My post was a direct response to JDogIndy's comment a/b the QC Storm logo being ugly. No history lesson will improve the beauty of the RYD logo, but thanks for trying.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

SemireliableSource

Liter-a-cola
Sep 30, 2006
HSV
uh, JM, you DO know the history of Roanoke hockey, correct...... Roanoke was one of the few markets who were adamant to say the least about reentering pro hockey at any level, junior or pro, just as Norfolk and Richmond had/have their history, Roanoke was a part of that with the Express (think the Railers HC logo was a bit derived from that one when you looked at it).... Roanoke was the first market anyone knew of that shunned any attempt to place a team in the arena, much less the Civic Center there..... there are still hopes to get Richmond back in to hockey now that the Coliseum aka "The Freezer" is set to be replaced, even though the heyday of the Renegades in both the ECHL/SPHL has already been tried....

Roanoke then is lot like what Elmira ended up becoming if not for the history of the Jackals and that history surrounding the ultimate end of that franchise.
tenor.gif

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Big downgrade. I could understand not wanting (or being able to retain) the Mallards name and logo, but that being said if you go in a new direction you should at least try to match what's getting replaced.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Big downgrade. I could understand not wanting (or being able to retain) the Mallards name and logo, but that being said if you go in a new direction you should at least try to match what's getting replaced.

in fact they are, the only difference is how damaged is the Mallards brand..... not discounting Calgary's intrusion, which wasn't the organization's fault for suspending the franchise when the Flames were there... that is the problem, is it the franchise aka the tenant, that has no control over the brand, or is it the arrogant stand taken by the arena operator aka Taxslayer Center that has that control.... that is the core issue, not who "owns" the brand and who ultimately says Mallards is owned by the ECHL, because in all honesty the former owner made that choice when he returned the franchise to the ECHL, and the League "terminated" the franchise, so to be as accurate as possible, do we know that Mallards branding is owned by the ECHL... even if there's no longer a franchise connected, I don't see this group leaving the SPHL at this point in time if that's the league they want to go to.... nor do I see them establishing this franchise to return there at a future time if that's how they're marketing a 'new era', it sounds like Mallards is gone permanently, no matter what attachment or branding they've done there or the fanbase knows that brand....

if they can brand "Storm" to the level "Mallards" was, without the negative connotations attached to it, the market is fine.... if Portland, Worcester and Newfoundland can embrace the ECHL, I have to think QC can embrace the SPHL, JUST AS THE Colorado Eagles have to prove they made the right choice to be in the AHL.

Theoriginalalex

@3in3hockey
May 5, 2014
Staunton, VA
uh, CH, yes I DO know the history of Roanoke hockey, even before you chimed in. My post was a direct response to JDogIndy's comment a/b the QC Storm logo being ugly. No history lesson will improve the beauty of the RYD logo, but thanks for trying.
Roanoke fan here: our logo is terrible. Also our “rainbow” color scheme has got to go. Simplify all around.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->