SPHL Expansion

Atlantian

Dec 13, 2017
Atlanta, GA
So the IceBears put out a release saying there’s another expansion team coming this summer. I have heard from someone (don’t know how reputable) that people from Tallahassee, Tupelo, and Florence (2019) had expressed interest in the SP and Biloxi had a whole bunch of renovations done. I don’t see this team in the north so there can be a north and south division.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
So the IceBears put out a release saying there’s another expansion team coming this summer. I have heard from someone (don’t know how reputable) that people from Tallahassee, Tupelo, and Florence (2019) had expressed interest in the SP and Biloxi had a whole bunch of renovations done. I don’t see this team in the north so there can be a north and south division.
Carolina looks to be a target, from those inside sources.... Elmira was also, but they weren't too keen on that possibility...

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine

Do you have a link to this release? They've been linked to half a dozen markets over the last few years.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Carolina looks to be a target, from those inside sources.... Elmira was also, but they weren't too keen on that possibility...
Unless Soskin sold his stakes in the Thunderbirds I doubt it would be them. With him at the helm they're bound to the FPHL or whatever becomes of it.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Unless Soskin sold his stakes in the Thunderbirds I doubt it would be them. With him at the helm they're bound to the FPHL or whatever becomes of it.
but what team or market is Knoxville hinting at, then, if it's not Carolina in a post-pandemic era..... it likely isn't Elmira....

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
but what team or market is Knoxville hinting at, then, if it's not Carolina in a post-pandemic era..... it likely isn't Elmira....
Maybe there's another reason beyond "state and local health regulations" that the Danbury Hat Tricks decided to sit out the 2020-21 FPHL season. At the very least, their approx. 3,000-seat arena beats the capacity of Danville' Palmer Arena ... AND they're planning to add an axe-throwing bar. How cool would THAT be for post-game meet 'n' greets with fans? :vhappy:

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Maybe there's another reason beyond "state and local health regulations" that the Danbury Hat Tricks decided to sit out the 2020-21 FPHL season. At the very least, their approx. 3,000-seat arena beats the capacity of Danville' Palmer Arena ... AND they're planning to add an axe-throwing bar. How cool would THAT be for post-game meet 'n' greets with fans? :vhappy:
doubtful it's Danbury, JM....

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I heard from someone (again, don’t know how reputable) that Tallahassee was a done deal prior to the pandemic.
interesting return, we'll see how that works out (just going off chatter I saw on an SPHL Group I'm in... ) they didn't seem to care much about Robbie Nichols (Elmira owner) from past experience...

it'll hopefully be another Savannah type scenario...

SemireliableSource

Liter-a-cola
Sep 30, 2006
HSV
As an FSU fan, I'd love it but I just don't see Tally working out. Not only would the team be the third tenant in the building, they'll be competing with FSU football in the fall, successful basketball (men's and women's), and baseball in the spring for the sports dollar. FSU is one of those schools where baseball actually turns a profit usually. Add in that you have that you have another Division I (FCS) athletic program in Tally as well (FAMU) and the sports dollar is pretty thin already.

Don't even get me started on the traffic. You can get across Tallahassee in 10-20 during the summer (depending on how you hit the lights). During the school year, it has taken me over two hours before. Where the TLCCC is in town is full of one-way streets. If there's any sort of event going on at FSU or near the capitol, and you can be inching along for a little bit.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
It wouldn't have to be an existing FPHL market based on the wording in that letter. "We will see at least one expansion team join the league, and hoping for another soon."
-Danbury checks off the 1st part
- "Hoping for another soon" could mean anything

I've always figured if the FPHL ever fully bites the dust the Danbury group will just focus on running as the NAHL Hat Tricks the top game in town. Which I think is the better play regardless.

Last edited:

CrazyEddie20

Hey RuZZia - Cut Your Losses and Go Home.
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car

I don't think it's Biloxi - the arena renovated the home hockey locker room into a VIP bar area. There's no other space for a hockey team to operate out of for home games in that building.

Tupelo? Ha. Metro area has a population of 140,000. Good luck.

Tallahassee is not happening for all the reasons Geoff stated and several others.

Florence? It's been a while, but McBob did all he could to poison the well there.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I don't think it's Biloxi - the arena renovated the home hockey locker room into a VIP bar area. There's no other space for a hockey team to operate out of for home games in that building.

Tupelo? Ha. Metro area has a population of 140,000. Good luck.

Tallahassee is not happening for all the reasons Geoff stated and several others.

Florence? It's been a while, but McBob did all he could to poison the well there.
South Carolina between the two teams there already existing/established as THE Stingrays and Swamp Rabbits are and with Savannah on the horizon as well... makes me think it's not SC.

Minor League Rando

Mar 13, 2021
https://www.fieldpassbrand.com/post...price-talks-state-of-the-league-and-expansion

"I also asked about another possible expansion team in the works. More specifically, a team possibly landing in Biloxi, MS. There have been some whispers going around since they recently renovated the arena in Biloxi, there could be a chance at the SPHL returning.
“Biloxi was one of our markets originally and I think would be a great fit. We have not been approached by any ownership group about Biloxi. If something were to come along, we would certainly take a good hard look at it with the success we have had there in the past.”"

Doug, you could have just said no comment if you didn't want to give it away.

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
https://www.fieldpassbrand.com/post...price-talks-state-of-the-league-and-expansion

"I also asked about another possible expansion team in the works. More specifically, a team possibly landing in Biloxi, MS. There have been some whispers going around since they recently renovated the arena in Biloxi, there could be a chance at the SPHL returning.
“Biloxi was one of our markets originally and I think would be a great fit. We have not been approached by any ownership group about Biloxi. If something were to come along, we would certainly take a good hard look at it with the success we have had there in the past.”"

Doug, you could have just said no comment if you didn't want to give it away.
As Crazy Eddie said above, the recent renovations involved converting the hockey locker room to a bar. That would be an indication that they are not planning to host a hockey team.

Here's a facebook post from the arena about it.

Between that and a pretty clear statement by the commissioner that nothing is happening, this rumor seems dead.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad