spfan's 2020 NHL Mock Draft - With Analsysis

spfan

May 4, 2009
These are not predictions. This is how I would pick if I were the GM of each team.

1. New York Rangers - LW Alexis Lafreniere
6'1" 194lbs

QMJHL 52GP 35G 77A 112pts

Alexis Lafreniere has been the #1 player for a long time and no surprise that he stays #1. Lafreniere is the total package. He's a good skater, he's a very good playmaker. He's good defensively too. He has a physical edge to his game as well. He's got good size already as well. He's NHL ready and should be a solid contributor right away.

Comparisons: Jonathan Huberdeau, Jamie Benn

2. LA Kings - C Quinton Byfield 6'4" 215lbs

OHL 45GP 32G 50A 82pts

The draft starts to get interesting here as Byfield vs Stutzle has been highly debated for months now. What gives Byfield the edge to me is that he has that kind of size and is still a good skater, as well as the fact that if he was a few weeks younger, he'd have been in the 2021 draft instead. Another player that pretty much has
it all. He's huge, a very good skater for his size, good playmaker and has a good shot. He's sound defensively as well. Only real knocks on him is that he's raw and he could use his size to his advantage more. While LA don't have a big need for a Center with Kopitar, Vilardi, Kupari on the team already, they can't pass up a talent like this. I think he's NHL ready as well.

Comparisons: Vincent Lecavalier, Eric Staal

3. Ottawa Senators - C Tim Stutzle
- 6'1" 187lbs

DEL 41GP 7G 27A 34pts

The Senators end up with whoever LA doesn't pick of Byfield and Stutzle, so this is an easy pick. Stutzle is a very dynamic player with very good skating. He's a great playmaker and can score as well. Some debate if he's better off as a LW, but I think he has the makings to be a center. Ottawa also does have a bigger need for a #1 center. He's got solid size as well, just needs to continue to bulk up and get stronger for the NHL. I think it could go either way if Stutzle plays in the NHL right away or not. Ottawa don't need to rush him, but he might be ready to step in right away.

Comparisons: Mathew Barzal, Mitch Marner

4. Detroit Red Wings - D Jamie Drysdale
5'11" 170lbs

OHL 49GP 9G 38A 47pts

Here's where the draft really opens up after there was a clear top 3 in the draft. Detroit could go quite a few ways. I believe Drysdale is as talented as anyone at this spot. And while Detroit did grab Seider last year, I think they have a pretty weak defensive core still. With the emergence of players like Hughes and Makar, I
think it shows that Detroit needs to grab a dynamic d-man of their own. Drysdale is a great skater and puck mover. He's sound defensively as well. The NHL is clearly more about skating and skill than size and physicality now, so Drysdale fits the modern mold of an elite #1 d-man. He will need to bulk up some still and continue to grow his defensive game, but he has very high potential. I don't think he should jump straight to the NHL, as 18 year old d-men rarely do. I think he could be ready after a year though.

Comparisons: Duncan Keith, Cale Makar

5. Ottawa Senators - LW/RW Lucas Raymond
5'10" 183lbs

SHL 33GP 4G 6A 10pts

Ottawa are back on the board from the SJ trade. Senators does have options here, but I believe the BPA is Lucas Raymond. With getting a #1 Center, now they can grab an elite winger. Ottawa have a pretty solid core of young d-men with prospects as well. They've built a solid core of forwards as well, but getting another elite
forward here would really be a big boost. Raymond is a very good skater and a very dynamic player. So he and Stutzle could be a dynamic duo. Stutzle is a very good playmaker, as well as a good goal scorer. He's also a solid two-way forward as well. He's not tall, so he's not the biggest player, but he's got a solid build already.
So he just has to continue to get stronger. He's not going to play in the NHL right away. He's probably 1-2 years away.

Comparisons: Mitch Marner, Artemi Panarin

6. Anaheim Ducks - LW Cole Perfetti
5'10 185lbs

OHL 61GP 37G 74A 111pts

Anaheim could go a few ways here, but I think Zegras can be their #1 Center and then Sam Steel at #2, so they grab the best winger. There's been some debate if he should be a center or winger in the NHL, but I think he's better suited as a winger. He's a high IQ player and very skilled player. He's not tall, but does have a solid build already. He is not the greatest skater despite the smaller size though, so getting strong and getting faster will be something to improve. He was one of the most productive players in the entire draft. He's already shown how good of a goal scorer he is, but this year, he showed how good of a playmaker he is as well. Will need to improve his defensive game as well. He's probably 1-2 years away from making the NHL.

Comparisons: Jonathan Huberdeau, Nikita Kucherov

7. New Jersey Devils - RW Alexander Holtz
6'0" 183lbs

SHL 35GP 9G 7A 16pts

I think this would be a great fit for the Devils. They've got their top 2 Centers in Hughes and Hischier, so they need to give them some weapons on the wing for their two young Centers. Holtz is arguably the best goal scorer in the draft. He's a solid playmaker as well. He's a pretty good skater, but not elite. Defensively, he does need to improve. He's not the biggest, but he's not small either. Just needs to add some strength. He's probably 2 years away from the NHL.

Comparisons: James Neal, David Pastrnak

8. Buffalo Sabres - C Marco Rossi
5'9" 187lbs

OHL 56GP 39G 81A 120pts

Buffalo have built up a strong prospect pool and have good young NHLers already, so they really don't have any real weakness. They can go for the BPA here and I believe that's Rossi. Similar to Perfetti, he does lack in size, but also not the greatest skater, so that's the only real knock here. He does lack in height, but does have a solid build already. He's a solid two-way player as well, so I don't think there's any issue of him not being an NHL center. He was also 1 of the most productive players in the draft. He's a good goal scorer, but a great playmaker. Buffalo did take Mittelstadt and Cozens recently and have played center before, but Mittelstadt hasn't developed as well as expected so far and might be better as a winger. Cozens did have a good year in the WHL, but if they add Rossi, they could develop Cozens as a RW. Rossi is probably 1-2 years away from the NHL.

Comparisons: Claude Giroux, Sebastian Aho

9. Minnesota Wild - C Anton Lundell 6'1" 187lbs

Liiga 44GP 10G 18A 28pts

This pick is perfect for the Wild. It's the BPA and Minnesota are desperate for a future top center. With trading away Staal and Koivu now not coming back as well. Lundell probably isn't going to come in right away, but I could see him only needing 1 more year of development. Lundell has the size already, just needs to continue to build on that frame. He's not the best skater, so he could use some imrpovement there. He's 1 of the best two-way forwards in the draft. Some question his offensive skill and his ultimate upside, but I think he's a guaranteed NHLer, but also has the upside of a #2 Center or even #1 Center.

Comparisons: Mikko Koivu, Patrice Bergeron

10. Winnipeg Jets - D Jake Sanderson 6'1" 185lbs

USHL 19GP 2G 12A 14pts

This is another perfect fit. The Jets have built a strong forward core, they also had a pretty strong defensive core as well, but with Byfuglien having essentially left the team, Trouba being traded and Myers leaving via free agency, it's put a big hole in their defense. I think Sanderson is also the BPA here. He's someone that
had 1 of the biggest draft stock jumps over the course of the year. I'm not quite as high on him as some others, but I do think he's the 2nd best d-man and the 10th best player. Sanderson is an excellent skater and is a very sound, modern shut-down d-man. He moves the puck well, though I do wonder how much offensive upside he has. But I think he's a lock to be a top 4 d-man in the future. He's got decent size, just needs to add some muscle to make him harder to play against in the NHL. He's probably 2 years away from the NHL.

Comparisons: Jacob Slavin, Hampus Lindholm

11. Nashville Predators - RW Jack Quinn
5'11 176lbs

OHL 62GP 52G 37A 89pts

Nashville doesn't have any big weaknesses, but they've always kind of lacked star offensive players, so Quinn would be helpful to them. With Centers like Duchene and Johansen, adding a scoring winger like Quinn would be great. Quinn does lack some in size, but he's not too small. But he'll definitely have to get stronger. He's also arguably the best goal scorer in the draft. He had 1 of the biggest imporvements from before his draft year, to his draft year. While Nashville have lacked a lot very skilled offensive players in their franchise history, they've always been a more defensive team and Quinn won't hold them back in that regard either and would fit in, as he plays a good two-way game as well.

Comparisons: Kyle Connor, Tyler Toffoli

12. Florida Panthers - RW Seth Jarvis 5'10" 172lbs

WHL 58GP 42G 56A 98pts

While Florida do have a big need for defense, they can't pass up Jarvis here. With last years draft, they covered their goaltending needs. They've also built a solid core of young forwards as well. Dadanov is a UFA, so it's unknown if he'll be back. So they will need to re-stock their forwards for the future still. Jarvis does
lack in size, so that's the only real issue with him. So he definitely has to put on some mass. He had 1 of the most productive years in the draft as well, especially in the 2nd half. Despite his size, he does work hard though. He's a good two-way forward. He's a good skater and is capable as a scorer and a playmaker. Some debate if he should be a center or winger, but I think he makes more sense as a winger, but there could be the opportunity as a center with Florida. He's probably 2-3 years away from the NHL.

Comparisons: Cam Atkinson, Travis Konecny

13. Carolina Hurricanes - G Yaroslav Askarov 6'3" 176lbs

VHL 2.45GAA .920sv%

I'm not big on drafting goalies in the 1st round or especially this high, but I think Carolina can afford that risk, as their only big missing piece is a true #1 Goalie. They have a strong defensive core and a solid core of forwards as well, so this could push them over the edge as a true cup contender in the future. Askarov is a big, posiitionally-sound goalie. He's also quite athletic. The big knock for him was his disappointing WJC, but that shouldn't be a huge factor in any player. He's going to be a few years away from the NHL, as goalies take longer and goalies are so unpredictable as well.

Comparisons: Carey Price, Andrei Vasilevsky

14. Edmonton Oilers - RW Dawson Mercer
6'0" 179lbs

QMJHL 42GP 24G 36A 60pts

Oilers are improving, but it always seems like they're missing something. They've built a solid defensive core. They obviously have 2 franchise players in McDavid and Draisaitl, but they're still lacking depth outside of them. They're arguably getting the BPA here, but the draft is getting more and more wide open. Mercer is a very good two-way player. He was on 2 teams last year and his production was better in the first half, but his draft stock has stays relative solid all year. He's not the most skilled player, so he doesn't really have 1st line upside, but he's likely a guaranteed top 9 forward. Some debate if he should be a center or winger, but I think he'd probably be better as a winger. But it'll also depend on what the Oilers decide to do with McDavid, Draisaitl and RNH. But either way, they're adding a talented player that could play with any of them and help aleviate pressure from them too. He's a few years away from the NHL.

Comparisons: Alex Killorn, Teuvo Teravainen

15. Toronto Maple Leafs - D Braden Schneider 6'2" 205lbs

WHL 60GP 7G 35A 42pts

Barrie is a UFA and probably not coming back, Ceci as well. So they don't have much for RHD, although this pick wouldn't be for help right away. But the Leafs problem hasn't been scoring really for a while. It's been defense. Schneider brings exactly that. He's most likely a guaranteed NHLer, but he does lack high upside. He can be a top 4 d-man and play on your PK. He's a solid skater, has good size already and brings a physical game too. He's more of at throwback d-man. He's unlikely to put up a lot of points, but can be a reliable d-man for years. He's probably a few years away from the NHL.

Comparisons: Travis Hamonic, Anton Stralman

16. Montreal Canadiens - C/LW Dylan Holloway 6'1" 203lbs

NCAA 35GP 8G 9A 17pts

I think similar to Edmonton, Montreal are improving, but still missing something and just looking an identity still. Montreal could go for a d-man here, but I like Holloway more here. He's a solid player with not much risk and solid upside too. I think he can be a middle-6 forward forward for them. Some debate if he's better at center or winger, I think it could go either way. He might be needed more on wing in Montreal though. It also helps that he's playing with 1 of the Habs top prospects now already in Cole Caufield. Holloway has good size already and is a solid skater. He brings a physical edge to his game as well and somewhat of a power forward game. He's a good two-way forward as well. He'll need a few years in college and maybe a year in the AHL, but should be a pretty good NHLer in the future.

Comparisons: Adrian Kempe, Lars Eller

17. Chicago Blackhawks - D Kaiden Guhle 6'3" 187lbs

WHL 64GP 11G 29A 40pts

Drafting Dach last year, bringing in Strome, who's had much more success in Chicago and trading Jokiharju for Nylander, I think Chicago has a pretty good forward core, so they could use some help on defense. Guhle has a good frame and a decent build, just needs to fill it out more. Kind of similar to Schneider, he's not really a high risk pick, but not someone with big upside either. He's a good skater and plays physical too. He's got a pretty good shot from the point. But won't be a big point producer. Will be able to play the PK and can be a top 4 d-man of the future. He's going to need a few years before he's NHL ready.

Comparisons: Darnell Nurse, Brian Dumoulin

18. New Jersey Devils - LW Rodion Amirov 6'0" 168lbs

MHL 17GP 10G 12A 22pts

New Jersey are picking again and they're going to get another winger that can help their 2 young star centers. Amirov is a good two-way player and has a good amount of skill and offensive upside as well. He's not a big player, but he's got a solid frame, so he'll be able to add more mass. New Jersey has always been more of a
defensive team, but Amirov can still fit in that system, but also has the skill to fit in with a more speedy, skilled system too. Amirov will probably spend a few years in the KHL before making the jump to the NHL.

Comparisons: Jakob Silfverberg, Artturi Lehkonen

19. Calgary Flames - C Connor Zary 6'0 181lbs

WHL 57GP 38G 48A 86pts

Calgary have built a good defensive core. They could use some more depth with forwards though. Some question Monahan as the #1 center, and while Zary won't be a #1 center, he'll strengthen the depth of the position. Zary is not the flashiest player, but an effective player. He had a pretty productive draft year. He's a good two-way player. He doesn't have any weaknesses really, just not elite at anything really. He's got decent size, but just needs to continue getting stronger. He'll be a few years away from the NHL.

Comparisons: Mikael Backlund, Adam Henrique

20. New Jersey Devils - LW/RW Noel Gunler
6'2" 174lbs

SHL 45GP 4G 9A 13pts

New Jersey are once again on the board and they're going to take another winger. I think losing Hall was a pretty big deal and getting weapons for their 2 young centers will be important. I think their defensive core isn't bad and also, I don't think 1 is worth taking here either. Gunler is pretty similar to Amirov too. He's a good skater, has a good shot and plays a pretty good two-way game as well. He's got a good frame to be able to put more mass on. So getting stronger will be 1 of the main focuses of being able to be NHL ready. He's going to need a few more years in the SHL before jumping to the NHL.

Comparisons: TJ Oshie, Kyle Palmieri

21. Columbus Blue Jackets - C Mavrik Bourque 5'11" 185lbs

QMJHL 49GP 29G 42A 71pts

Columbus just trying to get more depth at center. Bourque isn't the biggest player, but not small either. He had a pretty productive draft year. He's a decent two-way player, a pretty good playmaker and has a solid shot. Solid upside. He'll need a few years before being NHL ready.

Comparisons: Mikael Granlund, David Krejci

22. New York Rangers - C Hendrix Lapierre 6'0" 181lbs

QMJHL 19GP 2G 15A 17pts

NYR are back on the board and having taken the best player in the draft already, they grab anothr QMJHL player and potentially even a future linemate of Lafrenierre. Lapierre missed a lot of the season due to injuries and health concerns, so there's some fear and risk here. Before this season, he was 1 of the most highly touted players in the draft. So this is kind of a high risk, high reward pick, but I think the NYR can afford to take that risk here. The 20/21 QMJHL season already started and Lapierre is healthy and looking good so far, so that should increase his stock some. Lapierre has decent size, but needs to get stronger still, especially in a much more physically demanding league like the NHL. He's a pretty good skater and he's a good playmaker. He's got top 6 upside. He's going to need a few years before he's NHL ready.

Comparisons: Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Nick Schmaltz

23. Philadelphia Flyers - C/LW Jan Mysak 6'0" 181lbs

OHL 22GP 15G 10A 25pts

Flyers don't have much needs, as they've really drafted well and have plenty of young NHLers already. There's some uncertainty about Nolan Patrick's health, so adding a potential center could help that some. There's some debate whether Mysak is better as a center or winger, but we'll see what Philly would potentially do with him. Mysak was playing in the Czech Republic, but came over to the OHL and was pretty productive right away. So he has some familiarity with North America. He's a skilled player, that owns a good shot, but he's also a responsible two-way player as well. He has a decent floor and decent upside. He'll need a few more years before he's NHL ready.

Comparisons: Nick Suzuki, Robby Fabbri

Comparisons: Mike Hoffman, Kyle Palmieri

24. Washington Capitals - D Helge Grans 6'3" 192lbs

SHL 21GP 1G 2A 3pts

The Capitals defense has been somewhat depleted over time and they're not the youngest, so they grab 1 of the best d-men available here. Grans has good size, using his reach to his advantage as well. He skates well for his size and he's solid puck moving d-man, that can contribute to you at even strength and 5 on 5. He's not bad in his own zone either. But his defensive game is what he'll need to work on more. He's going to need a few years before he's NHL ready.

Comparisons: Mike Matheson, Matt Niskanen

25. Colorado Avalance - RW Jacob Perreault 5'11" 198lbs

OHL 57GP 39G 31A 70pts

Colorado has built a strong defensive core. So they look to add scoring depth. Perreault is one of the better goal scorers of the draft. He's got NHL bloodlines, as his father Yannick played over 800 NHL games. He's not really the same type of player as his father, but it's always helpful to know someone who has so much experience. Not a tall player, but has a very solid build already. He's improved his skating, so he'll need to continue to do that and round out his game more. Will be a few years before he's NHL ready.

Comparisons: Mike Hoffman, Kyle Palmieri

26. St. Louis Blues - D William Wallinder 6'4" 192lbs

Allsvenskan 18GP 0G 2A 2pts

Pietrangelo's future is unknown, so that would be a big blow to the Blues defensive core. But even with or without him, the left side has been weaker, so Wallinder would be a good fit. Wallinder is a very tall d-man and fairly built already, but will need to continue to add bulk to make him even harder to play against in the NHL. Wallinder skates very well for his size and is a good puck mover as well. He'll need to work on the defensive side more, but he has the tools to succeed with his size, skating and reach. Wallinder will need a few years before he's NHL ready.

Comparisons: Travis Sanheim, Brady Skjei

27. Anaheim Ducks - RW Tyson Foerster
6'1" 194lbs

OHL 62GP 36G 44A 80pts

Ducks added 1 OHL scoring winger, now they add another. Foerster also had a pretty productive year in the OHL. His point totals jumped quite a bit from the year before. Foerster has a good shot and good offensive abilities. He's got good size already. Just needs to continue improving his skating and round his game more. He'll need a few years before he's NHL ready.

Comparisons: Max Pacioretty, James Neal

28. Ottawa Senators - LW JJ Peterka
5'11" 192lbs

DEL 42GP 7G 4A 11pts

Ottawa has built a solid defensive core, so they go for a forward again. They also add a fellow German for Stutzle in Peterka. Peterka is a good skater that plays a good two-way game. He's not the flashiest player, but he's effective and solid at just about everything. He's not tall, but already has a solid build. He's experienced
in a men's pro league already as well. He'll need a few years before he's NHL ready.

Comparisons: Alex Steen, Michael Frolik

29. Vegas Golden Knights - LW Lukas Reichel 6'0" 172lbs

DEL 42GP 12G 12A 24pts

Vegas follows suit and takes a German winger as well. Reichel is the less safe pick, but also the possible higher upside and more skilled player. Reichel is a decent two-way player as well, but a more skilled player. Has a decent frame, but he'll need to add more muscle and get stronger for the NHL. But he's also had experience in a pro men's league already. He'll need a few years before he's NHL ready.

Comparisons: David Perron, Tomas Tatar

30. Dallas Stars - C Brendan Brisson
6'0" 185lbs

USHL 45GP 24G 35A 59pts

Dallas plays a strong defensive game, but they're still needing more scoring depth and needing more depth down the middle as well. Brisson is a good two-way player and a good skater as well. He should be a pretty safe pick, but with solid upside as well. Can be that middle 6 center for them in the future. Brisson's going to college next year, so he'll need some years there to develop further. Will be a few years before he's NHL ready.

Comparisons: Bryan Little, William Karlsson

31. San Jose Sharks - C Roni Hirvonen 5'9" 170lbs

Liiga 52GP 5G 11A 16pts

San Jose doesn't have much in their prospect pool, so they just need talent just about anywhere. So adding the most important position is never a bad thing. Hirvonen doesn't have huge upside, but you're not really going to get that this last in the draft typically. He's also a pretty safe pick, that they're likely to at least get an NHLer out of this pick. Hirvonen can be a middle 6 center for them in the future. Hirvonen is a good two-way player. He lacks a lot in size, but he doesn't play that small and has the skill and speed to make up for it too. He's got some experience in a pro mens league already as wel. He'll need a few years before he's NHL ready.

Comparisons: Yanni Gourde, Alex Kerfoot

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad