Spezza vs Weiss

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff Shafer

Established: 1987
BigDaddyMeatWhistle said:
Spezza was clearly the better player last night. He not only scored a nice goal but he won the majority of his faceoffs and made a nice defensive play behind Prusek.

Yeah I agree Spezza had a good game last night scoring and all but Weiss was one of the only few bright spots for the Panthers. Overall Horrible game played by the Panthers but both players showed great ability

Sammy*

luongofan said:
IMO, Weiss has been outplaying Spezza so far this season. Realistically, I think Spezza will put up more points but Weiss will be a great two-way player with an awesome +/-.
What do you base that statement on?

Rattrick

Oct 31, 2002
Orlando, FL
www.rattrick.com
Sammy said:
What do you base that statement on?

I have watched Spezza play numerous times and Weiss even more so. I just think Weiss has been playing better so far this season. He carries the play and creates opportunities for himself and his linemates.

HF2002

Aug 20, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
Spezza has 5 goals in the last 4 games(including a SH GWG vs TB), and now overall he has 17 pts in 24 games.

I'm not comparing the two at this point, but Spezza is starting to find his game, and I have been critical of him this season. Ever since Jacques Martin put Spezza and Hossa together Spezza has started to play a more important role - killing penalties, extra PP time, more regular ice time.

My suggestion would be wait for the end of the season to compare the two, and then wait another 5 years to compare where they are then. If I had to bet I'd lay my money on Spezza to be the more accomplished player.

SpezNc2

Mar 3, 2002
HF2002 said:
Spezza has 5 goals in the last 4 games(including a SH GWG vs TB), and now overall he has 17 pts in 24 games.

I'm not comparing the two at this point, but Spezza is starting to find his game, and I have been critical of him this season. Ever since Jacques Martin put Spezza and Hossa together Spezza has started to play a more important role - killing penalties, extra PP time, more regular ice time.

My suggestion would be wait for the end of the season to compare the two, and then wait another 5 years to compare where they are then. If I had to bet I'd lay my money on Spezza to be the more accomplished player.

I agree that Spezza is a better player when he is playing with Hossa.. He showed his best NHL moment last year when he played with Hossa...

The scary about Spezza this is that he have only 5 point or so this year on the PP.... and we all know that it's his force... So if he keep the same race as he do rigth know in EV and if he add his normal PP production, he will sooner than later become a pts/game man...

But no, Spezza is not getting penalty killing time... His goal was in fact a EV goal... The proof... He was te guy serving the penalty.. So... I hope it's not him who score the goal....

He fact, when he left the penalty box, Hossa created a scoring chance. Spezza decide to join the rush instead of regain his bench... GREAT DECISION, because he score the game winner goal.....

In the NHL:

Weiss: 103 GP, 12 G, 28 A, 40 PTS, -2
Spezza: 58 GP, 17 G, 21 A, 38 PTS, +2
Spezza

HF2002

Aug 20, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
SpezNc said:
I agree that Spezza is a better player when he is playing with Hossa.. He showed his best NHL moment last year when he played with Hossa...

The scary about Spezza this is that he have only 5 point or so this year on the PP.... and we all know that it's his force... So if he keep the same race as he do rigth know in EV and if he add his normal PP production, he will sooner than later become a pts/game man...

But no, Spezza is not getting penalty killing time... His goal was in fact a EV goal... The proof... He was te guy serving the penalty.. So... I hope it's not him who score the goal....

He fact, when he left the penalty box, Hossa created a scoring chance. Spezza decide to join the rush instead of regain his bench... GREAT DECISION, because he score the game winner goal.....

In the NHL:

Weiss: 103 GP, 12 G, 28 A, 40 PTS, -2
Spezza: 58 GP, 17 G, 21 A, 38 PTS, +2
Spezza

You're right. It wasn't a SH goal after all.

Bobby Orr's Knees

Dec 17, 2002
Where it hurts most
Visit site
I am kind of puzzled by this discussion. You can have a good debate when two players are close in terms of talent; but it's just not the case with Spezza and Weiss. Spezza is better in every aspect of the game. The only thing Weiss has over Spezza is experience.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
The one thing about Spezza that has really impressed me is the fact that he’s not afraid to go to the net and do the dirty work. He takes a beating in front on power plays and has scored a few goals lately driving to the net.

Rattrick

Oct 31, 2002
Orlando, FL
www.rattrick.com
Bobby Orr's Knees said:
I am kind of puzzled by this discussion. You can have a good debate when two players are close in terms of talent; but it's just not the case with Spezza and Weiss. Spezza is better in every aspect of the game. The only thing Weiss has over Spezza is experience.

I totally disagree. I will agree that Spezza is definately a better overall player, but they do have some tradeoffs between them.

To compare the stats for the two careers isn't really justified because Weiss played last year as a 19 year old and didn't fair to well under Keenan. This season would be a better justification. As I write this, Spezza is starting to tear it up.

TexSen

Nov 20, 2003
Schaefer..Beer..mmmm
luongofan said:
I totally disagree. I will agree that Spezza is definately a better overall player, but they do have some tradeoffs between them.

To compare the stats for the two careers isn't really justified because Weiss played last year as a 19 year old and didn't fair to well under Keenan. This season would be a better justification. As I write this, Spezza is starting to tear it up.

Can't we just save this for the end of the year?

TexSen

Nov 20, 2003
Schaefer..Beer..mmmm
luongofan said:
Since we are a few games from the end of the year (bet y'all would figure one of us would forget huh?)
gms G A Pts +-
S. Weiss 2003 FLA 50 12 17 29 -10

J. Spezza 2003 OTT 77 22 32 54 +22

Let's just say Jason had the better year. Weiss again ran into injuries limiting games played.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
TexSen said:
Since we are a few games from the end of the year (bet y'all would figure one of us would forget huh?)
gms G A Pts +-

Let's just say Jason had the better year. Weiss again ran into injuries limiting games played.

A little bit of homerism there? Florida is at least three years away from being where Ottawa is now, so those stats mean squat to me. Spezza plays on a more talented, more experienced team, Weiss has twice played on the youngest team in the league his first two seasons. After Weiss' brief AHL stint to start the season, he came up ready to prove why the Panthers chose him with the first round pick. Weiss "again" ran into a knee that IMO, should of cost that player a few games. And now he is out cause he was trying to block a shot. If those injuries never occured, his point total would be near Spezza's IMO.

Spezza is going to be the bigger scorer of the two IMO, but Weiss is going to be a great two-way player, and a future captain of the Panthers. Getting to see both play often, Id take Weiss.

Last edited:

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
pb1300 said:
A little bit of homerism there? Florida is at least three years away from being where Ottawa is now, so those stats mean squat to me. Spezza plays on a more talented, more experienced team, Weiss has twice played on the youngest team in the league his first two seasons. After Weiss' brief AHL stint to start the season, he came up ready to prove why the Panthers chose him with the first round pick. Weiss "again" ran into a knee that IMO, should of cost that player a few games. And now he is out cause he was trying to block a shot. If those injuries never occured, his point total would be near Spezza's IMO.

Spezza is going to be the bigger scorer of the two IMO, but Weiss is going to be a great two-way player, and a future captain of the Panthers. Getting to see both play often, Id take Weiss.

I'll take Spezza any single day of the year over Weiss, thanks. Spezza often plays on a 3rd-4th line with minimal ice time considering all the depth Ottawa has. To be Ottawa's 4th leading scorer shows a lot imo. He has played well this year, but I think even he knows he can do more. This is his first 'real' year in the NHL and a 55+ point year is pretty good, no?

I wouldn't be surprised if he explodes next year after he knows he's staying for good and what to expect out there.

Rattrick

Oct 31, 2002
Orlando, FL
www.rattrick.com
TexSen said:
gms G A Pts +-

Oh, I definately did not forget. Here are my thoughts: Spezza outscores Weiss, which I expect will happen a lot over their careers. As PB said, Weiss wasn't able to play with the quality that is on the Sens. His +/- would be great on a team that wasn't so poor defensively. Weiss plays a great all around game and what impresses me most is how he blocks shots so often.

The Nedorost-Weiss-Horton line really started to dominate for a while there. Down goes Horton and shortly after, Weiss breaks his leg. I think Weiss can put up 50-60 points next year and I think Spezza can do that plus.

As I stated a long time ago, I think Spezza will put up more points and Weiss will bring the intangibles to the game. Not to compare anyone, but you can relate it to Hejduk/Sakic. Hejduk usually outscores Sakic, but Sakic is just so important to the Avs.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Weiss 17:41 ATOI and 30:31 Prod

Spezza 14:39 ATOI and 20:54 Prod.

Its been a good year for Spezza considering he gets less than 15mins ice time per game.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
pb1300 said:

:lol

Pot. Kettle. Black.

Crossbar

Apr 29, 2003
48" above the ice
Pointless comparing stats, Weiss would probably get near the same production as Spezza if he was on a talented team like the Senators because Ottawa's 3rd line is about as talented as Florida's 2nd...hell...even 1st line in comparison to each other, and Weiss playing on the 2nd line means hes playing against the other team's top players while Spezza isn't forced in those situations being on the 3rd line for most of the season this year. Oh and Weiss not being fast or physical is a new one on me unless you're expecting him to hit like Roenick and skate like S.Fedorov, then no. :blush:

SmokeyClause

Feb 27, 2002
Miami, FL
Visit site
luongofan said:
But Weiss barely gets 3 minutes more. Granted it's still more, but only 3 minutes.

3 minutes is a ton of ice time. It's 3 shifts per game. Over the course of an 82 game season, that's 246 shifts. In Spezza's average game he gets 19.5 shifts per. So using a 1 minute per shift scale, if Spezza had played the same per game as Weiss, it would have been roughly 12 and a half extra games for Spezza. Don't tell me it's only 3 minutes.

And this is actually undervalueing Spezza's time lost to Weiss (in TOI) because Spezza doesn't run 1 minute shifts. He runs closer to 45 seconds. So it's closer to 15 less games.

TexSen

Nov 20, 2003
Schaefer..Beer..mmmm
pb1300 said:
A little bit of homerism there?

Yeah, pasting stats sure smacks of homerism. Get off your high horse. I even mentioned Weiss season was shortened due to injury. I gave the guy credit. Apparently you can't see that. Did I say Spezza was the BETTER player? No. I said he had a better year.

Step out of the sun once in a while and cool off.

Zhackpot

Feb 20, 2003
Texas
Visit site
luongofan said:
Oh, I definately did not forget. Here are my thoughts: Spezza outscores Weiss, which I expect will happen a lot over their careers. As PB said, Weiss wasn't able to play with the quality that is on the Sens. His +/- would be great on a team that wasn't so poor defensively. Weiss plays a great all around game and what impresses me most is how he blocks shots so often.

The Nedorost-Weiss-Horton line really started to dominate for a while there. Down goes Horton and shortly after, Weiss breaks his leg. I think Weiss can put up 50-60 points next year and I think Spezza can do that plus.

As I stated a long time ago, I think Spezza will put up more points and Weiss will bring the intangibles to the game. Not to compare anyone, but you can relate it to Hejduk/Sakic. Hejduk usually outscores Sakic, but Sakic is just so important to the Avs.

Geez, Heatley played on a crappy Atlanta team and put up impressive numbers, Rick Nash plays on a bad Columbus team and is a difference maker. Weiss has been hurt but all in all when on the ice Spezza has had a much bigger impact.
Just cause Spezza plays on a more talented team with more talented players doesn't mean crap. Put me out there with Hossa or Havlat and I wouldn't do squat. You need talent to play with talent and produce with talent.

winnipegjets4life

Mar 16, 2003
Visit site
Spezza doesn't play with any heart. He's got 2nd line centre potensial right now but if he starts playing with more fire then and only then he will become the all-star everyone wans him to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad