Line Combos: Spezza to ignite Marner's goal scoring!

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Oh stop being so pedantic. You know what I meant.

What do I have to say: on average more than 1 assist is given out per goal? You should be able to decipher the point being made.
Except its an oversimplification, used to justify another oversimplification of Tavares being primarily a goal scorer. His entire time in the NHL he's been a versatile offensive force, who can either be deployed as the primary playmaker on his line or the primary goalscorer (such as he was with Marner). If you put Tavares with a pure-sniper, he'd pretty quickly adapt to that role. The reason he racked up a bunch of assists throughout his career is that he is a high-end playmaker with great vision (for example that pass to Matthews last night).

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Let Hyman Tavares and Marner do their thing finally they are all healthy and back on track. We need them humming like last year every night.

What we need to do know is get Matty and Willy humming again too. This guy who they played with them last night is not it. Sorry but he is AHL level. Same with Petan AHL level. Give Kork a chance maybe? or even Mik? or Marchment? Someone with some size who will fight for loose pucks like Hyman.
Ahl level... then proceed to name marchment, and Korshkov?

Petan had a dominant shift in the vancouver game where the leafs were in the offensive zone for 45 seconds. He was a waterbug and made maby passes to the defense but they proceeded to miss the net. I did not watch the entire game, but that was one hell of an impressive shift by Petan. He also looks quicker than i expected out there.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
It's not going to happen because it's so valuable to have two dominant #1 centers down the middle, and I don't think they want Nylander at center, but I really wish they could consistently do Tavares and Matthews together, because they are perfect linemates for each other.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Marner is never going to be a big scorer no matter who you put him with, as his shot is not lethal and most importantly he is a playmaker not a finisher.

Mitch's role is to make Matthews and Tavares into goal scorers.

This is not the Ottawa Sens Jason Spezza anymore, and in the twilight of his career as a depth player.

PS.. The only place I could see Spezza spotted is on the Matthews line instead of Aberg, who is not a 1st line NHLer.

Last edited:

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Ahl level... then proceed to name marchment, and Korshkov?

Petan had a dominant shift in the vancouver game where the leafs were in the offensive zone for 45 seconds. He was a waterbug and made maby passes to the defense but they proceeded to miss the net. I did not watch the entire game, but that was one hell of an impressive shift by Petan. He also looks quicker than i expected out there.
Petan has skills I'll give you that for sure. But he has not decided yet if he wants to play the game for keeps. He must get stronger on the puck and stop watching his passes. and his straight away skating up/down the ice is weak. But he can turn in a bigger phone booth great edges for sure.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
Except its an oversimplification, used to justify another oversimplification of Tavares being primarily a goal scorer. His entire time in the NHL he's been a versatile offensive force, who can either be deployed as the primary playmaker on his line or the primary goalscorer (such as he was with Marner). If you put Tavares with a pure-sniper, he'd pretty quickly adapt to that role. The reason he racked up a bunch of assists throughout his career is that he is a high-end playmaker with great vision (for example that pass to Matthews last night).

You’re talking about oversimplification when you’re inferring a higher ratio of assists to goals makes somebody a playmaker, without differentiating between primary and secondary assists?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Strange the OP has never returned to see the replies their absurd thought.
Safe to say, barring injury this won't be happening any time soon.

AvroArrow

69 for Papi
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Marner is never going to be a big scorer no matter who you put him with, as his shot is not lethal and most importantly he is a playmaker not a finisher.

This is not the Ottawa Sens Jason Spezza anymore, and in the twilight of his career as a depth player.

PS.. The only place I could see Spezza spotted is on the Matthews line instead of Aberg, who is not a 1st line NHLer.

I mean he's only what 22 ? He has more than enough time to get stronger and develop his shot. I agree he is naturally a much better playmaker but i can see him becoming a consistent 30-70 guy in his peak, when you're that dangerous of a passer defenders tend to cheat (which we've been seeing) but he just doesn't have the shot right now to consistently bury these chances. With his work ethic i think he can get there.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018

I agree it's unlikely he turns into a big goal scorer but it isnt unprecedented to have a late bloomer. Jagr didnt start putting up big goals until year 5 despite some pretty impressive points.

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
I mean he's only what 22 ? He has more than enough time to get stronger and develop his shot. I agree he is naturally a much better playmaker but i can see him becoming a consistent 30-70 guy in his peak, when you're that dangerous of a passer defenders tend to cheat (which we've been seeing) but he just doesn't have the shot right now to consistently bury these chances. With his work ethic i think he can get there.
Stronger shot is all he needs. I am sure he will get stronger. He wasn't a farm boy either so he wasn't hucking hay bails as a kid.

Last edited:

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Would like to see Spezza with Marner more often, and Taveres with Mathews, playmakers with goal scorers.

also would like to see defencemen/forwards use their speed more to skate the puck out of d'zone.

Spez and Marner are pass first forwards and Tavares and Matthews are shoot first forwards. You want to see 2 passers together and 2 shooters together?

I'd like to see our dmen not skate themselves into a corner of their own making.

Reactions: Its not your fault

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013

Considering we are only paying $700k for Spez, he is is kinda doing really good, 12 points in 21 games, 8 points in the last 11 games, 5 points in 8 games (since new coach). The guy still has some offence in his game. On pace for 41 points as a 3rd liner with little PP time. Even with his goofy laugh still annoying the heck out of me, he's won me over.

Perfect 3rd line leader, vet, skilled forward that can do spot duty further up in the lineup.

Now only if we could find a right shooting vet on D that could play above his pay grade to help Morgan.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
You’re talking about oversimplification when you’re inferring a higher ratio of assists to goals makes somebody a playmaker, without differentiating between primary and secondary assists?
No, what I inferred was Tavares was a very versatile offensive player who can play either role when paired with certain linemates. He's had multiples seasons where he's top 10 in 5v5 primary assists. The Isles constantly chose to run their PP directly through him, he's finished top 5 in total primary assists. If not only that, it's pretty damn evident whenever you watch him play that his offensive game is extremely versatile.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

67Leafs67

Nov 8, 2014
Also, I wouldn't get too caught up in line combinations under Keefe in general. He seems to be pretty flexible in moving players around, even throughout the course of a game, or situationally, to get the whole team going.

Reactions: Menzinger

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad