Spezza still getting no respect

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
There are a lot of quality centers BEHIND Spezza on that list, such as E Staal, Datsyuk, Backstrom, Getzlaf, Thornton, B Richards and Zetterberg, not to mention many other elite forwards. I think he is probably about right on the list.

Whether he is a top 10 center in the league is a matter for debate. He is definitely a top end talent, but he will always have a few strange backward passes at the wrong time every game, which drop him down a bit on list IMO. They aren't always killer mistakes, but they are just part of his game we have learned to accept (to a degree), although he will always generate a few cat-calls from home fans each game for the rest of his career because of these plays. But he is an above average #1 center, so happy to have him going forward for sure.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
There are a lot of quality centers BEHIND Spezza on that list, such as E Staal, Datsyuk, Backstrom, Getzlaf, Thornton, B Richards and Zetterberg, not to mention many other elite forwards. I think he is probably about right on the list.

Whether he is a top 10 center in the league is a matter for debate. He is definitely a top end talent, but he will always have a few strange backward passes at the wrong time every game, which drop him down a bit on list IMO. They aren't always killer mistakes, but they are just part of his game we have learned to accept (to a degree), although he will always generate a few cat-calls from home fans each game for the rest of his career because of these plays. But he is an above average #1 center, so happy to have him going forward for sure.

If 'above-average' is 4th in the league in scoring with Michalek and a rotation of 3rd liners as linemates I'd hate to see what he could do if he were an elite centre.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
If 'above-average' is 4th in the league in scoring with Michalek and a rotation of 3rd liners as linemates I'd hate to see what he could do if he were an elite centre.

It's the only time in the last 4 years, he has been in the top 25 scorers in the league, so let's not get ahead of ourselves. And playing With Karlsson on the Powerplay, along with Gonchar, Michalek and Alfredsson is better than most of the #1 centers around the league have it in terms of support.

I know he missed some games during those 4 seasons, but he is still averaging less than a point per game during that spell. So are most #1 centers. But the bottom line is over the last 4 years he is not amongst the elite point producers, and I would argue there are a number of guys with similar production who have better all-around games (Getzlaf, Toews, E Staal etc. ). And that doesn't even include the top 5 guys like Malkin, Stamkos, Crosby, Datsyuk, Sedin. Then there are guys like Giroux, Kopitar, B Richards, M Richards, Thornton etc. It's tough competition, and tough to rank no matter how you cut it.

So yeah, I think saying he is amongst the top 15 centers in the league is probably "fair". Some might have him on the edge of the top 10. Some might have him in the 15-25 range. It's subjective, of course.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
From a fantasy perspective, Ottawa's usually been a pretty terrible bet.
So that's understandable.

Really? I don't give a crap about fantasy leagues but just with logic, it sounds weird because Ottawa has been top-5 in NHL scoring in most of the last 12 years (From the numbers I had 3-4 years ago, they were the most prolific team in scoring after the Wings, in the 2000's). They had a down year in 2010-11 but they were 12th in 2009-10 and 4th in 2011-12

Spezza has one point. The stat page is wrong. He had nothing at the Peg game and 1 in Ottawa.

So, you're saying that NHL.com is wrong?

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
It's the only time in the last 4 years, he has been in the top 25 scorers in the league, so let's not get ahead of ourselves. And playing With Karlsson on the Powerplay, along with Gonchar, Michalek and Alfredsson is better than most of the #1 centers around the league have it in terms of support.

I know he missed some games during those 4 seasons, but he is still averaging less than a point per game during that spell. So are most #1 centers. But the bottom line is over the last 4 years he is not amongst the elite point producers, and I would argue there are a number of guys with similar production who have better all-around games (Getzlaf, Toews, E Staal etc. ). And that doesn't even include the top 5 guys like Malkin, Stamkos, Crosby, Datsyuk, Sedin. Then there are guys like Giroux, Kopitar, B Richards, M Richards, Thornton etc. It's tough competition, and tough to rank no matter how you cut it.

So yeah, I think saying he is amongst the top 15 centers in the league is probably "fair". Some might have him on the edge of the top 10. Some might have him in the 15-25 range. It's subjective, of course.

You could argue that all of these players have had elite or high end puck moving defenders to help their points totals. Or at least most of them.

Malkin and Crosby have Letang. Getzlaf had Pronger and Neidermyer. Toews has Keith. Kopitar and Doughty. It definitely helps for points as a top center, when you can rely on your D to get you the puck.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Really? I don't give a crap about fantasy leagues but just with logic, it sounds weird because Ottawa has been top-5 in NHL scoring in most of the last 12 years (From the numbers I had 3-4 years ago, they were the most prolific team in scoring after the Wings, in the 2000's). They had a down year in 2010-11 but they were 12th in 2009-10 and 4th in 2011-12

As I said, usually... and was looking at the team overall.

But I think in terms of Fantasy points Spezza ended up mid teens to mid 20s usually because of a few teams having stacked 1-2 centres and playing both on PP1. All depends too on what stats your league uses.

But after Spezza, Alfredsson, Karlsson (now), Heatley (then), production is pretty spread out and everyone's more a jack of all trades/master of none (in my past experience).

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Alfie goes into Toronto and gets booed. Karlsson goes into Winnipeg and get booed. Spezza only gets booed in Ottawa after a bad drop pass.

Hopefully soon some team will be booing Spezza and that might be the year the franchise turns around.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
This is kind of cool...some interesting stats I stumbled on.

Look at a list of players with a career PPG over 1.00. You will find it looks like this:

Drafted in 1991 - Forsberg, Jagr, Palffy
Drafted in 1993 - Kariya
Drafted in 1997 - Thornton
Drafted in 2002 - Kovalchuk, Spezza
Drafted in 2004 - Ovechkin, Malkin
Drafted in 2005 - Crosby
Drafted in 2008 - Stamkos

Disclaimer: I was too lazy to check the list in detail so there may be more...someone else posted this in another thread. Someone mentioned Selanne and Bure are missing from the list...more great company.

Pretty good company, wow.

On top of which I was going through some Corsi stuff just looking around and I found this:

Jason Spezza, 2012 playoffs, Corsi On: 28.53

Corsi On - On-Ice Shot Differential (goals + saves + missed shots + blocks). This is expressed as a rate stat per 60 minutes.

Pretty impressive for a guy that supposedly 'wasn't noticeable' in the playoffs last year despite leading our team in points and obviously driving our possession.

For example Alfredsson's best ever is 19.83, Karlsson is 23.95 etc. Even Crosby, Malkin and Toews only have one year ever better than Spezza's performance last year...each of them have a year at 32 Corsi On...so not as big of a gap as some would have you believe (in that respect).

I can't wait for Spezza to get back.

Inf4mous0ne

Jan 28, 2010
1) These initial rankings are based on expectations of the season going forward (including injuries)

2) Who cares

ATdaisuki

Dec 4, 2012
Ottawa
speaking of underrated (under appreciated might be better here. or maybe just plain not paying attention) has anyone been reading the game recaps on nhl.com? one game they wrote weircioch as a forward, then the next called him peter wiercioch.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
speaking of underrated (under appreciated might be better here. or maybe just plain not paying attention) has anyone been reading the game recaps on nhl.com? one game they wrote weircioch as a forward, then the next called him peter wiercioch.

I rarely see news headlined about Ottawa on NHL.com. Almost every other game is put in the sidebar but I don't think I ever see Ottawa's results in there unless they're against a high profile team.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
I rarely see news headlined about Ottawa on NHL.com. Almost every other game is put in the sidebar but I don't think I ever see Ottawa's results in there unless they're against a high profile team.

Giving Ottawa a team was one of Ziegler's last moves IIRC.

Betty loves us not.

SensTopLine

Mar 6, 2013
Quebec (Province of)
I don't know. There's something about a player who puts up a point per game during his entire career that doesn't make sense as to why he would still get disrespected. Anyway, who is he being disrespected by? A bunch of idiots having a lot of time over at NHL.com? Que katz.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad