Spezza and Karlsson

blahblah3

Jan 8, 2010
Except that Alfie played with Turris.

All you people that think we were great defensively last year are simply wrong.

Our goaltending kept us in games, this year it's not superhuman.

Our D sucked last year too.

This is true BUT our D seemed to be better at covering the open guy around the net last year. This year they aren't doing that at all and it is killing us. Gonchar's experience is needed.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa

I don't often agree with you, but this is undeniable.

Last year was so refreshing because we won games we had no business being in.

The other shoe has dropped.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
For the forwards, yes, it might be an idea to put Turris' line against the other team's first line. I still don't think that's going to amount to a whole lot, though, because I'm not convinced Spezza's line can consistently produce.

Say what you want about his defensive woes, but if there's one thing that Spezza does regardless of his linemates is produce consistently. Hell, he was 2nd in the league in the last 30 games behind only Corey Perry after coming back from injury with Colin Greening and Bobby Butler on his wings in 2011.

Hammertyme

Jun 20, 2006
Gatineau/Ottawa
This is true BUT our D seemed to be better at covering the open guy around the net last year. This year they aren't doing that at all and it is killing us. Gonchar's experience is needed.

Why? Were Karlsson/Cowen playing last year? Neither have been close to steller this year in the D zone. Wiercioch's minutes are up and he is a disaster in the d zone. Add Corvo and he isn't known for defensive prowess. Humm! Still wonder why?
Seems everybody on these boards wants PUCK MOVING DEFENSEMEN. Points points points. It's tough when the forwards can't finish. Puts extra pressure on the d to be offensive at the expense of defense.

exv91

Oct 13, 2011
I think blaming our best players is the wrong approach. Karlsson & Spezza are doing a great job, not just statistically but overall. They are both trying to contribute in areas they're not expected to; Spezza defensively, and EK offensively. That's what leaders do, they go that extra bit to give their team a fighting chance. They are NOT the reason we are off to a miserable start, it's the secondary role players who have not stepped up. That and our depth is quite shallow, both defensively and offensively. Disparaging or knocking EK or Spezza is just wrong. Also, Spezza is not a goal scorer, he's a playmaker and a faceoff guy. He's not been given the right players for him to be affective. Same can be said about EK. EK is a wonderfully gifted offensive D that needs to paired with a strong backchecker who's a stay-at-home. D

blahblah3

Jan 8, 2010
Why? Were Karlsson/Cowen playing last year? Neither have been close to steller this year in the D zone. Wiercioch's minutes are up and he is a disaster in the d zone. Add Corvo and he isn't known for defensive prowess. Humm! Still wonder why?

Because it is clear to me that our defense right now is significantly worse than it has ever been. I have never seen so many instances of uncovered guys around the net as this year.

In my opinion, the one area you don't want to have an inexperienced group is defense. It is too important.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Say what you want about his defensive woes, but if there's one thing that Spezza does regardless of his linemates is produce consistently. Hell, he was 2nd in the league in the last 30 games behind only Corey Perry after coming back from injury with Colin Greening and Bobby Butler on his wings in 2011.

Unhealthy Mancrush.

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com

Our breakout was much, much better last year. This year, we've tried long stretch passes in the defensive and neutral zones far too often, and they get picked off, resulting in strong odd-man chances for the opposition.

In that sense, our defence was miles better last year than it's been this season.

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
Getlaf has hardly 10 points so far this season, 5 of them came vs us. Toews just scored a natural hattrick against us. They both were matched up against Spezza.

It seems like the other teams top Centers are having a field day when going up against our top Center.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad