News Article: Spezza’s Consistency and Skill Make Him a Senators Legend

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Spezza-Kovalchuk-Draft.jpg

Jason Spezza, Ilya Kovalchuk, and Alexander Svitov (THE CANADIAN PRESS/AP, Tony Gutierrez)

Since its inception into the National Hockey League during the 1992-93 season, many greats have donned the famous black, red, white, and gold of the Ottawa Senators. The past 28 seasons have seen like likes of Daniel Alfredsson, Chris Phillips, Dany Heatley, Erik Karlsson, and Alexei Yashin all make significant names for themselves in Canada’s capital city. Another name that can be added to the aforementioned list of all-time Senators greats is Mississauga, Ontario-native, Jason Spezza.

Read more on the Hockey Writers

https://thehockeywriters.com/jason-spezza-consistency-skill-ottawa-senators-legend/

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Since its inception into the National Hockey League during the 1992-93 season, many greats have donned the famous black, red, white, and gold of the Ottawa Senators. The past 28 seasons have seen like likes of Daniel Alfredsson, Chris Phillips, Dany Heatley, Erik Karlsson, and Alexei Yashin all make significant names for themselves in Canada’s capital city. Another name that can be added to the aforementioned list of all-time Senators greats is Mississauga, Ontario-native, Jason Spezza.

Read more on the Hockey Writers

https://thehockeywriters.com/jason-spezza-consistency-skill-ottawa-senators-legend/
In our history, Spezza's been one of our best players and I'm happy to give him the accolades he deserves. But as our franchise gets older, I think he'll rightly settle in the tier of great-but-not-legendary, which I think he fits better.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
In our history, Spezza's been one of our best players and I'm happy to give him the accolades he deserves. But as our franchise gets older, I think he'll rightly settle in the tier of great-but-not-legendary, which I think he fits better.

I agree to a certain extent, however Spezza put up 687 points in 686 games in a Sens jersey

By way of comparison, Montreal has two guys in franchise history with more than 500 games played for the franchise and more than a PPG. Belliveau and Lafleur. Toronto has three: Sittler, Sundin and Vaive.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
I agree to a certain extent, however Spezza put up 687 points in 686 games in a Sens jersey

By way of comparison, Montreal has two guys in franchise history with more than 500 games played for the franchise and more than a PPG. Belliveau and Lafleur. Toronto has three: Sittler, Sundin and Vaive.
I'd argue Vaive is the closest comparable in that group. Similar PPG over their full careers, well liked players in the franchise who made notable impacts while they were there. But just a bit short of the same tier as a Belliveau, a Lafleur, a Sundin or a Sittler. But this isn't a particularly strongly-held opinion — I'm just glad to see Spezza getting his due after being the whipping boy in his final years here.

Reactions: Cosmix

otown

Sep 4, 2009
Obviously the best one dimensional Sens player to ever don a Sens jersey but I would tend to agree with dzingelalltheway.
Great not legendary!

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
He was underrated in his time here for sure. I was always a fan, up until they gave him the "C" in an attempt to keep him around or whatever that was...even though he wasn't pushing his way out of town too hard, it just rubbed me the wrong way, didn't really miss him when he left, which is unusual. I also would have totally welcomed him back last year when it was rumoured.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Spezza's peak was amazing. 2011/2012 guy was looking like one dimensional player turned all around savvy vet and future beast captain.

Injuries decimated him sharply, though. I recall 2012/2013 the guy came out BANGING doing everythinggg. Rewatch those games, he was everywhere. But after that, I recall his back injuries being so bad he said he couldn't even sit on the bench in-between shifts. Then came with it everything else.

If there was one major justified critique is the guy got shutdown whenever it mattered most and didnt show up (which is why we almost traded him a season or two before to Columbus). But then he looked like he was turning a corner in his career (especially 2012 playoffs) and boom the injuries just crippled everything else towards the end.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad