Spengler Cup : Canada vs. Magnitogorsk

Status
Not open for further replies.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
Markov said:
No kidding. Between last night's WJ and tonight's game, it's turned into a pretty ****** weekend for Russia. All that's left now is the drinking, night all. ;)

No actually it's not the "weekend" that was ******, but the "last 10 years" :cry:

willie

Mar 3, 2002
Visit site
So are Thornton & Nash going to play for HC Davos against Canada? :dunno: If so, that should make for an interesting game.

willie

Mar 3, 2002
Visit site
Sykie said:
They will.

Martin St-Louis too. He will play for Davos for this tournament.

Wow. I have to think those three run amok over this Canadian team.

Why is St.Louis playing for Davos though? I thought he was on Lausanne. Is the team they send to the Spengler just an all star team from the Swiss league? :dunno:

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
willie said:
Wow. I have to think those three run amok over this Canadian team.

Why is St.Louis playing for Davos though? I thought he was on Lausanne. Is the team they send to the Spengler just an all star team from the Swiss league? :dunno:

Davos traditionnaly rent four or five players from other teams for the tournament. This year, Martin St-Louis from Lausanne, as well as Oleg Petrov, Brett Hauer and Barry Richter from Zug are playing for Davos. The other teams also use some swiss league players to fill the roster spots of players involved in WJC (notably David Aebischer, who will play for Sparta Prag).

Concerning team Canada, there's no restriction on the players they can use, they simply decided not to use any NHL player.

BAuldie

Apr 5, 2004
Nanaimo, B.C.
colonel_korn said:
I have a question about Team Canada...obviously they aren't a real club team like the other teams, but are there restrictions to which players they can name to the team? For instance what was stopping them this year from say, putting Martin Brodeur in net or Ryan Smyth up front? :dunno:

They were saying during the broadcast that they decided against doing that because this is very possibly what the team would roughly look like going into the Olympics next year, so they wanted to keep them together.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
^Exactly. The Hockey Canada staff were considering using locked out NHLers, but given the uncertainty of the NHL being at the next Olympics, they put these guys together because it's a pheasible non-NHL Olympic Hockey Lineup. And they handled themselves very well against a team that had Nabokov, Sykora and Gonchar boasted on its roster.

Big test for this version of Team Canada will be the game against Davos tomorrow. Nash, Thornton, St. Louis...all huge offensive threats. And while Canada's defense and PK were very solid today against Magnitogorsk, they'll need to step up considerably to take Davos.

Alex Auld rules for Canada in net. :yo:

~Canucklehead~

SwisshockeyAcademy

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
Very pleased to see McTavish playing, the last time i saw him live he was playing for St.F.X , which were not the glory days of the program. He has been a good player in Europe for a long time.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
canucklehead17 said:
^Exactly. The Hockey Canada staff were considering using locked out NHLers, but given the uncertainty of the NHL being at the next Olympics, they put these guys together because it's a pheasible non-NHL Olympic Hockey Lineup. And they handled themselves very well against a team that had Nabokov, Sykora and Gonchar boasted on its roster.

Big test for this version of Team Canada will be the game against Davos tomorrow. Nash, Thornton, St. Louis...all huge offensive threats. And while Canada's defense and PK were very solid today against Magnitogorsk, they'll need to step up considerably to take Davos.

Alex Auld rules for Canada in net. :yo:

~Canucklehead~

:handclap: Lets hope Auld steps up :yo:

Strizzi

Aug 8, 2002
Visit site
BAuldie said:
They were saying during the broadcast that they decided against doing that because this is very possibly what the team would roughly look like going into the Olympics next year, so they wanted to keep them together.
I guess that there's also another reason: These guys playing for Team Canada are mostly guys who are fighting for their jobs now with the influx of lockout players in Europe, so they need this tournament to advertise themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad