Spend to the cap? playoff team?

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
Like really what sense does it make to take on Datsyuk's contract for a draft pick? Id like to actually use that cap space this year to improve this team. We arent the arizona's of the league anymore.

We're not spending to the cap this season, so it's fairly irrelevant.

joshjull MOD EDIT: Pulled this out of the draft thread. Sorry for the clunky title.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
What non-playoff teams spend to the cap? There's no reason to this season.

I'm 90% sure we'll be in the playoffs next season. But the cap is not a problem next season. If we can get something out of taking on Datsyuk's contract for a year then go for it.

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
I'm 90% sure we'll be in the playoffs next season. But the cap is not a problem next season. If we can get something out of taking on Datsyuk's contract for a year then go for it.
thats pretty damn optimistic. I'll just be happy if theyre a true bubble team, win a few more of those 1 goal games that they lost and MAYBE overacheive ala Philly to get in.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
What non-playoff teams spend to the cap? There's no reason to this season.

This is the wrong thread for this particular conversation, but Datsyuk plus resigning our RFAs would leave us with very little room to sign a LHD, which we need.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
This is the wrong thread for this particular conversation, but Datsyuk plus resigning our RFAs would leave us with very little room to sign a LHD, which we need.

Sabres are $22.5M under the cap right now, so not really.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
6M to Risto, 4-5M between Girgensons/Foligno, 1M for backup goalie, 1 M for McCabe.

We could easily add 8M via UFA D-man and a forward. If not more.

Assuming you sign a UFA, sure. My guess is Murray goes the trade route, which is less impactful towards the cap.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Assuming you sign a UFA, sure. My guess is Murray goes the trade route, which is less impactful towards the cap.

I imagine Murray plans to attack both free agency as well as trades.

A trade can be impactful on the cap depending on assets moved. But I agree with your general premise that the UFA route usually has the bigger impact.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
I imagine Murray plans to attack both free agency as well as trades.

A trade can be impactful on the cap depending on assets moved. But I agree with your general premise that the UFA route usually has the bigger impact.

It all depends on who he trades for.

If he gets a premium RFA that needs a new deal...

Agreed. I guess my main contention would be that taking on Datsyuk's contract wouldn't prohibit Murray from making the other moves he may want to. I don't think Murray will take the contract, nor do I want him to, but he could swing it if he really wanted to.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Agreed. I guess my main contention would be that taking on Datsyuk's contract wouldn't prohibit Murray from making the other moves he may want to. I don't think Murray will take the contract, nor do I want him to, but he could swing it if he really wanted to.

I see taking on the Datsyuk contract as a fallback if they miss on getting pieces that will make this team better next season.

Fixing Detroit's problem for a 2nd rounder doesn't really make sense for the Sabres now.

It would have two years ago. But, we aren't at that stage in team-building.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Add a Lindholm and an Okposo or some equivalently well paid pieces and resign your RFAs, you don't have $7M to spare.

We're not tanking anymore. No reason to blow off a season for an extra 3rd rounder.

McPhatty00

Apr 23, 2014
State College, PA
There's no reason to not spend this year. The team was better in the second half and I feel like they can at least contend for a WC. As long as any UFAs are short term, spend away. Murray's hands aren't tied.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad