Spencer Machacek

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
A guy who is more than the sum of his parts. Average size, OK skater, won't dazzle with puck skills. Smart player with pretty decent hands around the net. But is a tireless worker, excellent defensive player especially for his age, kills penalties, and is just an all-around solid player. Never takes a shift off, and has really battled to get where he is now after not even being selected in the WHL bantam draft.

Projects as a 10-15 goal 3rd line checker in pro as his upside. Sort of guy who can really cement a top checking line, and that good teams need in the playoffs.

Missed being eligible for this draft by about a month, and would probably have gone in the 50-80 overall range if eligible. Likely a 2nd-3rd round pick in 2007 ... I don't know if he has the offensive upside to go much higher than that.

Greg7

Feb 5, 2004
Basically I agree with MS' assessment, but I'll add just a bit.

He improved dramatically over the season, which is always a good sign, and his development right now doesn't show any signs of slowing down. It is also worth at least mentioning that, while he has imo absolutely earned his extra minutes and his spot on Brule's wing, his production is definitely benefitting from playing on that top line. I don't want to take anything away from him because I really like the way he's played - I think he's been among the best Giants night in and night out - but his excellent production in the playoffs is perhaps slightly misleading with regards to his offensive upside. That said, he's been great all year and always improving, he never takes a night or even a shift off, and his work ethic and willingness to learn and do everything he needs to do are great. Maybe a mid round guy who could if everything pans out carve himself out a nice career as a player coaches love who plays solid defense, is great on the walls, and will grind it out and score some dirty goals. Probably needs to keep improving his mobility, strength, and defense to give himself a good chance. He's pretty good in all these areas at a WHL level, but if he wants to take the next step these things will have to be what take him there.

Jovofan

Apr 26, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Greg7 said:
I think he's been among the best Giants night in and night out - but his excellent production in the playoffs is perhaps slightly misleading with regards to his offensive upside.

I agree, plus you also have to take into consideration that 3 of his 5 post-season goals came in one game. But he has been a steady player all season long for the Giants and has been very solid in their run to the Final so far.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad