Speculation: Speculation thread to end all Sens poor play speculation threads

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
I can't believe there are too many speculation & blame threads on our poor play of late, so here's another.

Stop blaming the Coach, stop blaming Goaltending, stop blaming Defense, stop blaming Spezza, Greening, Neil, Ryan.....ect. You get the picture.

BLAME MELNYK! Period the end!

Melnyk came out last year and made it clear, he was not going to spend anymore money on the team, so welcome to the Ottawa Budget Senators. :rant:

Let me be the first to say "I was wrong" when I've been blaming MURRAY for his lack of movements at the trade deadline, when all along he's been penny pinching for a reason.

Come playoff time, you can watch the Leafs play as we go golfing!

Philadelphia Collins

May 31, 2011
Spezza is being gofted all these o-zone starts and without fail his line ends up hemmed in our zone for his entire shift.

If I ever see a Cowen-Gryba pairing again I will openly weep

melnyk budget*

Problem is our D (cant afford one or no trade possibilities?)

and a HUGE problem is fan expectation.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Go back to complete basics and install the style of play we played last year with all of our guys injured if it's not too late. The players have to buy in though, if they don't it doesnt really matter. Using those nice middle of the ice breakouts last year was nice too, we don't do that anymore.

And for chrissakes, block some ******* shots. We didn't do this last year either, we let every shot get through to the net. Pretend Tortorella is our coach or something.

blahblah3

Jan 8, 2010
Go back to complete basics and install the style of play we played last year with all of our guys injured if it's not too late. The players have to buy in though, if they don't it doesnt really matter. Using those nice middle of the ice breakouts last year was nice too, we don't do that anymore.

And for chrissakes, block some ******* shots. We didn't do this last year either, we let every shot get through to the net. Pretend Tortorella is our coach or something.

Pretty sure they already tried, but the players refuse to listen.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Trade everyone in the organization under 6' including management. :laugh:

Last edited:

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
Have the sens become a basketball team.

BYFTzuFCQAATJAS.jpg:large

Yes.

RingoCalamity

Oct 25, 2006
Last season, the captain of this team basically personified the kind of game that we wanted to play. All the coach had to say was, go out and do what Alfie's doing.

This captain can't play the style game that we want if his life depended on it. It makes it hard for him to lead by example when he's getting called out by the coach with reduced minutes. So where does the leadership and accountability on the team come from?

I don't hate Spezza and I was actually - I can't believe I'm saying this - I was optimistic going into last night's game because his linemates meant he was going to have to do the heavy lifting himself to create offence, which he looked pretty good doing in the Phoenix game. Well, he couldn't do it last night, and I feel like he's looked awful this season more games than not.

Obviously there are other problems with this team as constructed. The shots-against numbers defy logic, and there is a guy missing on defence in that 3-4 spot. Cowen and Wiercoch aren't ready for it and Phillips can't handle it anymore. Still, I'm afraid of what we'd potentially give up in an effort to fill that hole.

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
What big FA's should we have signed? That Clarkson contract sure looks great lol

If Murray was allowed to spend more money, he would have gone about it differently and some trades that were made out of necessity, instead of a want list. Then it might have been different pieces required at the deadline instead of a big UFA.

Who knows, maybe Kelly & Alfie might still be here (as an example)

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
If Murray was allowed to spend more money, he would have gone about it differently and some trades that were made out of necessity, instead of a want list. Then it might have been different pieces required at the deadline instead of a big UFA.

Who knows, maybe Kelly & Alfie might still be here (as an example)

So....who are you willing to give up in a trade then?

Cowen? Ceci? Turris? Karlsson? Anderson? Spezza? Lehner?

There wasn't anything good to be had in the free agent market this past summer. Only way to get what we need is by trade.

It's is incredibly naïve and foolish to think simply throwing money at the problem would solve anything.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland

Our GM said he wanted other teams to block shots and not us (implying he wants us to have possession), so don't bet on this.

Also, trade for rights to Alexei Kovalev, if we're going to float let's bring the numero uno expert in as an example and have some fun watching it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad