Proposal: Speculation: Rumours: Done Deals: Trade Deadline 2019 ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
For free? Sure.

Problem is those guys come at a premium. Unless it was a futures deal, we'd have to trade more skill going out than coming in. I like our chances better maximizing skill/speed because that's what we already have a lot of. We can hide a guy like Johnsson or Ennis on the 3rd/4th line to feast on bad match-ups without hurting the top-6 at all. Same for the other side of the coin, if you had physical forwards on every line, that's going to wear a team down over a playoff series. Having just one or two guys on your 3rd line wouldn't really change anything

Mediocre skill/mediocre physicality doesn't win anything, you have to pick one and do it better than anyone else. Unless you get lucky get players who have both.

Not really. Ever 5 man unit or every line just has to outplay who they are matched against. Where is the advantage to rolling out identical lines? You add the best pieces you can and play with them. Look at the Hawks Cup winners and the changes they made. They didn't pick one or the other they won and then they moved costly pieces to let them take another run at it. The more physical lineup could have won again, Buff and Ladd could still play, but they had to move somebody. Kadri is effective when he is physical. They need effective players, not clones.

Last edited:
Reactions: baton elevated

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
There's 0% chance that Chyaka gets rid of Hjalmarsson

You could MAYBE get Jason Demers, but I doubt that too.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
And how cheap do you think he is going to come if he's capable of being a top 4 RD on a contender?

If he was really that good, he has absolutely no reason to command anything less than Zaitsev is making right now, unless he wanted to take a discount. Especially after what guys like Alzner, De Haan, etc. went for, and given there really is not much talent on the FA market for defense. Depending on your feelings about Myers, he's the best RD out there after Karlsson and Stralman.
Remembering to TO was in on DeHaan.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
I'm not for getting a forward, but if they get one that's an upgrade on Lindholm and it's cheap. (3rd rounder of equivalent prospect, Hagelin??) I'd do it.

baton elevated

One Man Gang
Jun 4, 2009
Yes, that really messed up our plan......alot. How he chose to go to the Canes when they were stacked on defense rather than follow his buddy JT to the leafs and write his own ticket is a head scratcher to me.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Who was Washingtons top line heavy hitter? Tom Wilson? the moron who takes suspensions almost weekly? Why do we need a big body #9 who will probably be offensively inefficient and bring us down? So he can lay a hit? wowzer this is 1990 all over again
Man. Just Stop. Wilson was a big part of that run, if you cant even acknowledge the importance of even a little bit of physicality you are just being ignorant. Laying big hits has nothing to do with the stone age/new age/old age, it has a place in the game and is something we are lacking.

You cant win the cup being a one-dimensional team. It doesnt happen. Look at tampa last year

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Yes, that really messed up our plan......alot. How he chose to go to the Canes when they were stacked on defense rather than follow his buddy JT to the leafs and write his own ticket is a head scratcher to me.
Pretty sure the idea at the time was sign CDH, flip Gardiner.
I still back that idea, but, seems unlikely at this juncture. Makes too much sense.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

I believe it, but I doubt they were ever considering him at that price.

They probably considered him at like 3x3.5 or something. However how he exactly fit in would be beyond me... Like putting Rielly on his off-side again just to fit De Haan in, or trading Gardiner.

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
Some people seem to think we absolutely need a physical presence. I don't really subscribe to that, but I am open to adding a quality player.

Some people are just as bad on the other side. They seem to think that adding some 'size' means we have to be less skilled. I'd take Tom Wilson on our team in a heartbeat (although maybe not with his contract, but him as a player).

There is such a thing as a skilled, fast, big player. They are rare but we should be looking to add one of those guys.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Some people seem to think we absolutely need a physical presence. I don't really subscribe to that, but I am open to adding a quality player.

Some people are just as bad on the other side. They seem to think that adding some 'size' means we have to be less skilled. I'd take Tom Wilson on our team in a heartbeat (although maybe not with his contract, but him as a player).

There is such a thing as a skilled, fast, big player. They are rare but we should be looking to add one of those guys.

None are available right now. And we are not going to add some physical presence who is not good enough for our top 12/6. Right now, that is the case for the majority of options. Plain and simple.

Bigmarycombo

Jul 15, 2017
When you watch our team we play the worst when
The other team

Traps in neutral zone
Collapses down low in front of their net blocks shots and boxes us out.we don’t have the players to fight to get to the net. When this happens we get very few shots on goal and the ones we do get are from the perimeter.

We need some grit to fight for that space in front of the net. It goes the same way in our end . We don’t hav3 the defense to out muscle players in front of our net. How many more goals are we going to allow because Gardiner gets outplayed.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Man. Just Stop. Wilson was a big part of that run, if you cant even acknowledge the importance of even a little bit of physicality you are just being ignorant. Laying big hits has nothing to do with the stone age/new age/old age, it has a place in the game and is something we are lacking.

You cant win the cup being a one-dimensional team. It doesnt happen. Look at tampa last year

Wilson is a top 6 forward ffs not some 4th line plug

Now I want you to give me a realistic scenario (asking a lot if your other proposals are any indication) where we get a top 6 physical forward and what it's going to cost to acquire said player

Baring in mind Dubas has said he's not keen on rentals so he's still got to have term on his deal and its a money in money out scenario

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Someone who is physical but can't play anything other than sheltered minutes is pointless other than for games until the end of the regular season.

What the team could use is at least one substitution for Nylander/Johnsson/Kapanen/Brown/Gauthier/Lindholm/Ennis who can play the game AND harden up the Leafs' lineup at the same time. That's all easier said than done. The faster the league is getting the more rare these players are getting. They're as rare as RHD and quality goalies. And when you find them, they have short shelf lives.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I don't think my post implied that we should do that.

Target upgrades.

I'm not saying it does, I am just saying that is how it is right now. At least that is what it seems. What targets are there, and what do you have to pay? That's the problem.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Now I want you to give me a realistic scenario (asking a lot if your other proposals are any indication) where we get a top 6 physical forward and what it's going to cost to acquire said player

Baring in mind Dubas has said he's not keen on rentals so he's still got to have term on his deal and its a money in money out scenario

Again, I support Dubas making a hockey trade that isn't a rental.

Depending on term, cap, position determines how much I'd be happy to give up.

Have to find a team that is in rebuild, or has an excess of what the Leafs need.

No single prospect is untouchable, but I'd be loath to do something like Sandin and Liljegren, but would be okay including one in a package for a defender with term, minimum 3 years without NMC and age appropriate.

I'd be okay with a late pick and meh prospect for a rental.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Again, I support Dubas making a hockey trade that isn't a rental.

Depending on term, cap, position determines how much I'd be happy to give up.

Have to find a team that is in rebuild, or has an excess of what the Leafs need.

No single prospect is untouchable, but I'd be loath to do something like Sandin and Liljegren, but would be okay including one in a package for a defender with term, minimum 3 years without NMC and age appropriate.

I'd be okay with a late pick and meh prospect for a rental.

If we're talking late pick meh prospect for a rental I doubt he's going to be a physical top 6 forward, those guys generally cost a mint

Even Simmonds is going to cost plenty and I think he's massively overrated around here

About the only guy I think could be available and would fit the bill is Kreider out of New York, I'd love to have him but I think of the likely cost and I cringe because he's going to be insanely expensive imo

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
If we're talking late pick meh prospect for a rental I doubt he's going to be a physical top 6 forward, those guys generally cost a mint

Even Simmonds is going to cost plenty and I think he's massively overrated around here

About the only guy I think could be available and would fit the bill is Kreider out of New York, I'd love to have him but I think of the likely cost and I cringe because he's going to be insanely expensive imo

Kreider would fit well with the Leafs. He is on the trade board, has 1 year left. Need to make the money work next year.

Rielly, Muzzin, Dermott should be LD next year.

They have to get a top 2 pairing RD for next year. To me that is the biggest need today and going forward.

?, Zaitsev, ? is the projected RD for next year.
Trade, Zaitsev, Liljigren, based on landing a real RD and Liljigren being ready, which is a huge question mark for me. Keeps losing development time due to injury.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Is this the least hyped deadline in a while?

I'm just not that excited for it for some reason, and it's usually a holiday for me :laugh:

Perhaps it's just work taking up so much time, but yeah, I'm not as excited for the deadline. It's like what, a week or so away?

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Kreider would fit well with the Leafs. He is on the trade board, has 1 year left. Need to make the money work next year.

Rielly, Muzzin, Dermott should be LD next year.

They have to get a top 2 pairing RD for next year. To me that is the biggest need today and going forward.

?, Zaitsev, ? is the projected RD for next year.
Trade, Zaitsev, Liljigren, based on landing a real RD and Liljigren being ready, which is a huge question mark for me. Keeps losing development time due to injury.

I think the aquisition cost of Kreider is going to kill that idea, Jesus I saw a Rangers fan turn down a top 3 protected 1st and Fox from a Carolina fan

I like Kreider but **** me

Unless Rielly or Muzzin can play the right were in deep ****, even if Zaitsev stays I just don't see how we fill that hole unless Dermott takes a massive jump forward in his development and can play his offside

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan

Brown+Liljegren for Josh Anderson
Kapanen+Gardiner for Pesce+Ferland (probably need an add and I would include up to a 1st)
Zaitsev+2nd+3rd for Gudas

Ferland-Matthews-Nylander
Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Johnsson-Kadri-Anderson
Marleau-Gauthier-Ennis

Rielly-Pesce
Muzzin-Gudas
Dermott-Hainsey

Next year they would have to move heaven and earth (Marleau) to accommodate Ferland but if you did you could run a similar set up with Marchment-Gauthier-Moore as the 4th line and Dermott-Rosen or Oz as the 3rd pairing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->