Proposal: Speculation: Rumours: Done Deals: Trade Deadline 2019 ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

horner

May 22, 2007
No I see him as more someone who lays the body on the opposition D and gets them hearing footsteps. An instigator whether he fights or not. Drawing penalties wins more games than fighting. And I like having a banger on defense who can randomly back up any line that is getting run, not necessarily babysit stars. The Leafs are set up to win only one type of game. They might go a whole playoff without seeing a bruising series, but laying the body on it traditionally how less skilled teams try to slow down the danglers. If you add some toughness the whole team will play a bit tougher. You don't need to win a fight to physically intimidate another club in today's game, but clubs can still be intimidated.
I agree

Reactions: dubplatepressure

LFF

Feb 17, 2019
Brandon Montour has another year on his contract 3,387,500 then 2020 he is a RFA
If instead it is Gudas has another year at 3,350,000 then 2020 he is a UFA

Pesce is good thru to 2023. Micheal Ferland is a UFA next year but will his new contract be more than Gardiner's

So the leafs defense could be:

Rielly/ Pesce
Muzzin / Montour
Dermott/ Hainsey

Reactions: WildBoy

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
Brandon Montour has another year on his contract 3,387,500 then 2020 he is a RFA
If instead it is Gudas has another year at 3,350,000 then 2020 he is a UFA

Pesce is good thru to 2023. Micheal Ferland is a UFA next year but will his new contract be more than Gardiner's

So the leafs defense could be:

Rielly/ Pesce
Muzzin / Montour
Dermott/ Hainsey

Pesce being signed to an affordable contract till 2023 is exactly why the Canes will want top talent back for him, which by the way the leafs cannot and will not give up.

Never gonna happen as both teams do not want or need futures or prospects.

If you wanna trade futures and prospects then you need to target a team rebuilding. The canes are not rebuilding.

horner

May 22, 2007
He's a guy

No matter what he does everybody knows that the rest of the team won't lay the body, we're just not built that way and we won't grind teams down over a 7 game playoff series like a Boston with only one physical player on the roster

To do that were going to need some major surgery, we'd be much better off embracing what we are and trying to play a fast up tempo game without the physicality of some of the other teams

Play our game instead of the other teams if you will

Yes powder puff smurf team.

Its not a bad thing to have one or two guys that consistently lay the body.
Our forward know excluding( kadr, hyman and kappy, muzzin ) dont hit.
It also wears the other team down and make the get rid of the puck a couple seconds early.

In a recent game Anderson got run over, knowone on our team did anything to the player.
We lose Anderson we are done.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Too slow, too big, not enough skill. Basically a plug that cannot make our top 12.:sarcasm:

Forgot, probably takes dumb penalties.
he didn't look slow last night, I wasn't aware of just how well he skates for a big body.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
I think Babcock has made Dubas fully aware of the need for a top 9 heavy hitting forward. But what are the other teams asking for ? Do you see Dubas wanting to give up Bracco the way he is playing ? Not for a rental i.e Simmonds. The rumour is Kyle Clifford. I have a feeling this may be the year GM's stop overpaying at TD. I can't recall too many times what teams paid at TD paid off in playoff run anyway. The goal, I would say, is to win at least one round this year.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I agree. A few weeks ago when it was suggested, I said if they go 1-1 for Brown take it and run. Others wanted Yotes to add a 4th or 5th pick.

21 year old, former #11 overall, 6'4", 220 pounds. I am Chyka, I am not giving away this kid for a plug named Brown. Yes, some will argue Brown scored 20 and that his declining numbers are due to playing with plugs but truth is, his offence has dried up. If he produced when playing with Matthews (the way Kappy did) he would not be dropped to the 4th line.
get rid of Jake and Brown, bring in Crouse and Hjalmarsson. This would round out the Leafs quite nicely. Then if the Leafs could find a upgrade for Zaitev................

Reactions: Bigmarycombo

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
Who was Washingtons top line heavy hitter? Tom Wilson? the moron who takes suspensions almost weekly? Why do we need a big body #9 who will probably be offensively inefficient and bring us down? So he can lay a hit? wowzer this is 1990 all over again

horner

May 22, 2007
Who was Washingtons top line heavy hitter? Tom Wilson? the moron who takes suspensions almost weekly? Why do we need a big body #9 who will probably be offensively inefficient and bring us down? So he can lay a hit? wowzer this is 1990 all over again

Just because you hit somone.
You are going back the stone age .
Wow

Reactions: baton elevated

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

Washington was a big heavy team, they're not a good example to use for making this point. If you can build an extremely skilled team that happens to be enormous like Washington or Winnipeg, that's obviously better than building an equally skilled team that's small.

Our issue is that it's too late for us to get there without blowing the team up and starting from scratch. Adding a single physical piece does nothing for us, we already have an identity that works. The best we could do would be a guy like Kreider for the top line or get a time machine and get a younger Byfuglien to pair with Rielly. Even still, no one would be afraid of us unless we make a bigger team top to bottom without losing any skill.

Reactions: Brown Dog

DougGilmour93

Feb 7, 2007
First we deal Gardiner + Gauthier (Carpenter + 1st in 19)

Then, I imagine we attempt to trade for the following ...

Simmonds + Gudas ( 1st [Vegas] + Brown + Timashov + 2nd in 20+ Greenway)

Jensen (Ozhiganov + Kral + 3rd in 20)

Lineup

Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Simmonds-Matthews-Kapanen
Marleau-Kadri-Nylander
Johnsson-Carpenter-Moore(Ennis)

Reilly-Jensen
Muzzin-Gudas
Dermott-Hainsey (Zaitsev)

Andersen
Sparks (Hutchinson)

At the draft or in the offseason we unload Zaitsev. In doing so we free up some room to resign Jensen.
Unloading Gardiner and Brown free up some money for Marner/Kapanen/Johnsson extensions.
We let Simmonds walk (unless of course he takes a deep discount to stay, which is unlikely).
We also let Hainsey walk, unless of course he agrees to play for the league minimum.

Last edited:

horner

May 22, 2007
When Trouba hit Matthews you dint think it affected his gm.
O he was out with a shoulde injury.
Kronwall hit Matthews it didnt affect his gm.
Mathews disnt even go to the front the net anymore.
Thats hockey .
Sorry but it is a tough gm.

Reactions: baton elevated

horner

May 22, 2007
Washington was a big heavy team, they're not a good example to use for making this point. If you can build an extremely skilled team that happens to be enormous like Washington or Winnipeg, that's obviously better than building an equally skilled team that's small.

Our issue is that it's too late for us to get there without blowing the team up and starting from scratch. Adding a single physical piece does nothing for us, we already have an identity that works. The best we could do would be a guy like Kreider for the top line or get a time machine and get a younger Byfuglien to pair with Rielly. Even still, no one would be afraid of us unless we make a bigger team top to bottom without losing any skill.
So you are saying.
You wouldnt add a young chara or byfuglien because you have to change your whole team.
Just adding somone of that ilk would give your team a backbone.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
So you are saying.
You wouldnt add a young chara or byfuglien because you have to change your whole team.
Just adding somone of that ilk would give your team a backbone.

For free? Sure.

Problem is those guys come at a premium. Unless it was a futures deal, we'd have to trade more skill going out than coming in. I like our chances better maximizing skill/speed because that's what we already have a lot of. We can hide a guy like Johnsson or Ennis on the 3rd/4th line to feast on bad match-ups without hurting the top-6 at all. Same for the other side of the coin, if you had physical forwards on every line, that's going to wear a team down over a playoff series. Having just one or two guys on your 3rd line wouldn't really change anything

Mediocre skill/mediocre physicality doesn't win anything, you have to pick one and do it better than anyone else. Unless you get lucky get players who have both.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
What would get arizonas attention

Pieces we are not willing to part with. I do not think they would be interested in Jake unless they were looking to shed salary like Florida is so they can sign Panarin and Goalie Bob. They are also now making a playoff push.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->