Proposal: Speculation: Rumours: Done Deals: Trade Deadline 2019 ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Won a cup they shouldn't have, and have toiled in relative obscurity since, give or take the odd (and very infrequent) playoff appearance/run.

If I remember correctly, they won a cup and made 2 consecutive conference finals prior to Pockington forcing to sell off all his team. They remained relevant until 2006 but never really a contender. And then they fell off the face of the earth due to bad management and ownership.

My point is, even if we have Matthews only for the next 3 seasons as some suggest. There is no telling the haul that the Leafs can acquire to keep their team relevant if not further superior then they are with him. There is nothing to suggest that there is anything wrong with ownership that will cause a sell off.

So lets say we win a Cup or two in the next 3 years. And then we know that Matthews isn't going to resign. We deal him for a massive package. A package that added to Tavares, Marner, Nylander, Reilly, Kadri, Kapanen, etc.. would only make us better. Remember Gretzky left behind Messier, Kurri, Tikanen, Andersen, Fuhr and others. But they added other key pieces. Which kept them competitive and basically still favorites. Whats saying in today's NHL the Leafs do not come out better without Matthews, if that day comes??? Ask yourself that prior to painting everything with a negative brush.

Enjoy today, tomorrow may be better. But not worse when it comes to an organization that has money and is the cream of the crop of franchises in the NHL.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
If I remember correctly, they won a cup and made 2 consecutive conference finals prior to Pockington forcing to sell off all his team. They remained relevant until 2006 but never really a contender. And then they fell off the face of the earth due to bad management and ownership.

My point is, even if we have Matthews only for the next 3 seasons as some suggest. There is no telling the haul that the Leafs can acquire to keep their team relevant if not further superior then they are with him. There is nothing to suggest that there is anything wrong with ownership that will cause a sell off.

So lets say we win a Cup or two in the next 3 years. And then we know that Matthews isn't going to resign. We deal him for a massive package. A package that added to Tavares, Marner, Nylander, Reilly, Kadri, Kapanen, etc.. would only make us better. Remember Gretzky left behind Messier, Kurri, Tikanen, Andersen, Fuhr and others. But they added other key pieces. Which kept them competitive and basically still favorites. Whats saying in today's NHL the Leafs do not come out better without Matthews, if that day comes??? Ask yourself that prior to painting everything with a negative brush.

Enjoy today, tomorrow may be better. But not worse when it comes to an organization that has money and is the cream of the crop of franchises in the NHL.
I actually didn't know where this was going. Hey, I cheer for the team first. Always. Having said that, the ultimate truism is "the one who gets the best player wins the trade". So no matter what, that trade will be a loss and the optics terrible. Another thing we have to keep in mind is that cap era trades are more difficult to complete, and usually there are players added not because the team wants them, but to even up salary. Trades like the Gretzky trade, or the Lindros one, would never, ever be completed in the cap era, nor could they be. In the cap era, you are fortunate to be offered 4 quarters for your dollar. Look at the very few cap era blockbuster trades for proof. Karlsson and Thornton are the only 2 that spring to mind.

At the end of the day, all you can hope for are a couple of good players picks, and some expiring contracts or depth pieces. There will be no massive package that could equal the impact of what you give up on a superstar like Matthews.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
So Bob McKenzie on his latest podcast dropped a few nuggets on the leafs:

a) They're a fit to be in the rental market, and named Simmonds/Ferland as potential options as they look for forward depth

b) Sandin is not on the table in any trades, but they're "not married to the idea of keeping Liljegren"

a) They have repeatedly said they weren't going for rentals, at least not high priced ones. Even the insiders have said they weren't... now they are? Doesn't add up, especially with no cap space.

b) Makes sense. I'd say Liljegren will get a long look next season but it's possible there's some sort of blockbuster and he's included, probably in the off-season.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008

not to be overly pessimistic, but shouldn't we worry about winning a playoff round before we speak of multiple Cup runs?

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Trade Bait: Leafs interested in Red Wings' Glendening again - TSN.ca
Mike Babcock hasn’t exactly been shy with team brass when it comes to his trade deadline wish list for the Toronto Maple Leafs.

It’s believed the Maple Leafs have kicked the tires again on Red Wings centre Luke Glendening this year, a Babcock favourite from his time in Detroit.

Glendening, 29, is the biggest mover on the latest edition of the TSN Trade Bait board, climbing up to No. 25.

He played under Babcock for parts of two seasons in Detroit, the type of scrappy fourth-line centre who has seen his minutes rise at playoff time.

Last year, the asking price from the Red Wings was believed to be a second-round pick, a price that was too rich for then-GM Lou Lamoriello’s blood.

This year, that price would seem to be the starting point, given that older rental Brian Boyle – who has not scored in his last two playoff runs – fetched a second-round pick from Nashville earlier this week.

The Red Wings view Glendening as a big part of their team culture. With eight goals and 10 assists for 18 points, Glendening is on pace to set new career-highs in goals, assists, points and time on ice (15:51).

The hang-up for the Maple Leafs is two-fold: 1) How much of an upgrade is he over Frederik Gauthier? 2) Glendening’s contract.

Leafin

Apr 2, 2009
Glendening would be a waste of cap space. I doubt this is true.

Unless they are eating the Zaitsev contract and we take on Glendening with Jensen.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Or Connor Brown.

Not even Connor Brown. The point of trading Brown would be to generate cap and roster space, neither of which is achieved by trading him for Glendening.

Glendening really does not make much sense, unless they give us a really favourable deal. He's a 4th liner, and a pricey one at that. We do not need 4th liners, especially not pricey ones.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Servelli said the same thing last deadline.

And I think the deadline before that.

It’s nothing.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Servelli said the same thing last deadline.

And I think the deadline before that.

It’s nothing.

If they retain 50%, I do it since it's basically league minimum salary for a non minimum player

Leafin

Apr 2, 2009
Or Connor Brown.
I wouldn't move Brown for Glendening. We don't save on the cap. We get a worse player.

If we can dump Zaitsev in this deal that'd be something to look at. If there are any legs to the Canes rumors for a RHD we'd need to move out salary. Zaitsev is the piece to move.

Reactions: Kiwi
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad