Speculation: Rod B next year

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoCanes2013

May 7, 2009
Raleigh
His contract was up this year I believe. And his house is for sale. There have been rumors of him doing something at MSU as his son is headed there and there have been rumblings about their head coach.

Think he won't be back?

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
I wouldn't be terribly shocked. His time as a coach here hasn't exactly been particularly distinguished (running some pretty terrible powerplays, for instance), but the organization was never going to visibly fire him. Having him take a new job as his contract expires is a good face saving move for everybody.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
It's sometimes hard to really know who has the right stuff to be an effective head coach, but Rod just doesn't seem like head coach material to me.

On a side note, going back 15-20 or so years, who are players of Rod's caliber (so star players) that became effective head coaches?

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
It's sometimes hard to really know who has the right stuff to be an effective head coach, but Rod just doesn't seem like head coach material to me.

On a side note, going back 15-20 or so years, who are players of Rod's caliber (so star players) that became effective head coaches?

Good question....that's really hard to say. Still, it is interesting that he doesn't have a contract yet.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina

Oates maybe would be the closest I can think of

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I think you missed the word "closest"

If by "closest", you mean not even remotely close to being effective in any way what-so-ever, then yes, I missed that. :laugh: If that's the standard, then I'd say Wayne Gretzky would fit the bill also.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
He lead the caps to a presidents trophy and their normal first round exit.

Meh, pretty much any coach could have coached that team to that result during the strike shortened season. The following season, which was a full season, he was the ONLY coach of the Caps in the past 10 years that coached them to a non-playoff season. That's the definition of ineffective.

He may be a good coach down the road, but so far, he hasn't been remotely effective at all.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Meh, pretty much any coach could have coached that team to that result during the strike shortened season. The following season, which was a full season, he was the ONLY coach of the Caps in the past 10 years that coached them to a non-playoff season. That's the definition of ineffective.

He may be a good coach down the road, but so far, he hasn't been remotely effective at all.

Randy Carlyle retired in 93. Is that close enough? Lol

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Doug Weight had a good first 40.

Yeah, that's a good example if he sustains it. Weight, as a player seemed to me to be a guy well suited to coaching.

Of course, during his playing days, not may people probably thought Ulf was coaching material either, so you can never tell.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Option 1: lock thread

Option 2: rename thread "Speculation: Rod B year after next"

lets-make-a-deal-doors.jpg

I'll take Door #1, Monty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events