Speculation:Chatham To Join The OHL

lazyboy

Sponsor
May 24, 2010
Wallaceburg, Ontario
I love ironies so I'm just curious if Belleville is even something that has the potential to be considered. I'm assuming to get the AHL team arena upgrades must have been made. Are the baby Sens locked in long term? Just curious. Thanks

three dog night

May 3, 2014
I love ironies so I'm just curious if Belleville is even something that has the potential to be considered. I'm assuming to get the AHL team arena upgrades must have been made. Are the baby Sens locked in long term? Just curious. Thanks
Ten years I believe

frontsfan2005

Mar 26, 2006
Ontario, Canada

The Senators and Belleville have an eight year lease - starting in 2017-18 until 2024-25.
Source: Ottawa Senators finalize deal to move AHL team to Belleville from Binghamton

I'm not sure what the Senators long-term plan is. In their first season, average attendance was 3,608. It's dropped down to 2,737 this season, despite the team playing very well.

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton
The Senators and Belleville have an eight year lease - starting in 2017-18 until 2024-25.
Source: Ottawa Senators finalize deal to move AHL team to Belleville from Binghamton

I'm not sure what the Senators long-term plan is. In their first season, average attendance was 3,608. It's dropped down to 2,737 this season, despite the team playing very well.

I'd presume the plan was to expand their main team's footprint, so I think they'd be happy tanking AHL attendance if the suddenly saw an uptick of people buying Sens tickets and merch from Belleville/Trenton/Napanee/Kingston. If that hasn't at all happened (which may be the case) then hard to say.

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
I'd presume the plan was to expand their main team's footprint, so I think they'd be happy tanking AHL attendance if the suddenly saw an uptick of people buying Sens tickets and merch from Belleville/Trenton/Napanee/Kingston. If that hasn't at all happened (which may be the case) then hard to say.

Belleville was always a hard sell even at the OHL level. Yes there was a lot of behind the scenes issues that were a contributing factor in the Bulls moving to Hamilton but let's be honest.

The Yardmen Arena location was in no way the greatest location in the OHL for the city of Belleville. I know there was a lot of questions surrounding the building needing some major renos but I believe that one of the main reasons why the city and the Bulls owner at the time decided to move the Bulls to Hamilton was that they were located in the middle of a farmers field with limited restaurants and shops around the facility it was hard to see any long-term marketable success for the once long-standing OHL franchise. The fan support was great in the OHL level for Belleville but Major Junior hockey isn't the big show and never will be.

I believe that the AHL Sens are experiencing similar problems with marketing a product in a location that is hardly ideal for long-term success if the city of Belleville has any long-term plans for the AHL they would consider moving the Sens closer to downtown Belleville.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Belleville was always a hard sell even at the OHL level. Yes there was a lot of behind the scenes issues that were a contributing factor in the Bulls moving to Hamilton but let's be honest.

The Yardmen Arena location was in no way the greatest location in the OHL for the city of Belleville. I know there was a lot of questions surrounding the building needing some major renos but I believe that one of the main reasons why the city and the Bulls owner at the time decided to move the Bulls to Hamilton was that they were located in the middle of a farmers field with limited restaurants and shops around the facility it was hard to see any long-term marketable success for the once long-standing OHL franchise. The fan support was great in the OHL level for Belleville but Major Junior hockey isn't the big show and never will be.

I believe that the AHL Sens are experiencing similar problems with marketing a product in a location that is hardly ideal for long-term success if the city of Belleville has any long-term plans for the AHL they would consider moving the Sens closer to downtown Belleville.
Yardman arena is not located in the "middle of a farmers field", It is in the north part of the city. Location was never the issue, building was.

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history

Sounds to me like you have never been to Belleville

From Up Top

Apr 30, 2010

Arena location was never an issue... The Yardmen is just off the 401 and the Quinte Mall, restaurants and hotels are only three minutes away by car if that.

Belleville's issue was the arena and ownership.

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton

Yeah, I'm going to echo the sentiment here. Belleville's arena isn't a location issue. Its close to the highway and it's one bridge away from a big commercial area. It's the building that needed a renovation, which it got (although quarters are still a bit cramped there). The reason he moved was the facility was too small and needed a reno. I could easily see another OHL team setting up shop there again should the AHL leave and the end of their tenure.

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Yeah, I'm going to echo the sentiment here. Belleville's arena isn't a location issue. Its close to the highway and it's one bridge away from a big commercial area. It's the building that needed a renovation, which it got (although quarters are still a bit cramped there). The reason he moved was the facility was too small and needed a reno. I could easily see another OHL team setting up shop there again should the AHL leave and the end of their tenure.

Wouldn't be surprised one day when to see Belleville returns but that won't be for awhile under the current league member teams.

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton
Wouldn't be surprised one day when to see Belleville returns but that won't be for awhile under the current league member teams.

Its not going to happen while the Sens are there, I think they have some 6 years on the lease. As far as what does the future hold, North Bay and Hamilton staying are two question marks right now, given the arena issues. Who know how Mississauga or Flint will shake out should ownership change there too. Who also knows if one day Chatham, Brantford, Cornwall or maybe even York region make a push?

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Its not going to happen while the Sens are there, I think they have some 6 years on the lease. As far as what does the future hold, North Bay and Hamilton staying are two question marks right now, given the arena issues. Who know how Mississauga or Flint will shake out should ownership change there too. Who also knows if one day Chatham, Brantford, Cornwall or maybe even York region make a push?

You hit the mark spot on there's too many questions marks that moving forward into the future with what unfolds out with teams unfortunately it comes right down to the basic of basics will there ever be a location or corparation that is willing to fork out millions of dollars to get an OHL team in their region that won't upset the apple cart of the rest of the OHL. Well that's like kicking tires around that could be years before we see any changes made in to OHL teams.

As you mentioned what happens with Hamilton and North Bay well until we see any realistic progress in change what we have now is what will have in 10 years from now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad