Speculation:Chatham To Join The OHL

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario

For the admiration of the citizens of Chatham, Ontario in hopes of attracting an OHL club.

I can't see the city of Chatham making it to the OHL at this time, for these specific reasons.

One current OHL cities have the first right to allowing cities to infringe on their current fanbase and with Chatham being in the close proximity of the current Windsor Spitfires, I would think that the Spitfires organization would be the team that would block any attempt to allowing the city of Chatham to make the push for entertaining an OHL club the same could also be said for the Sarnia Sting for the same reasons.

So unless there is an unanimous decision by the majority of the board of governors of the league to approve a relocation of a current struggling team I can't see Chatham being awarded a club in the current state of the league.

There happens to be only a few cities that could support an OHL club expansion and even with Chatham being one of those cities, it still ponders the question if the league were to expand past the current 20 team system would the additional cities be able to support a club or have a facility up to league standards.

Right now I'd have to say that expansion in to Chatham is more of a bubbling thought than an actual possibility at this point and has the same chances of cities like New Market, Belleville or Cornwall returning to the league.

From Up Top

Apr 30, 2010
It wasn't that long ago that Plymouth almost ended up in Chatham... The biggest reason that didn't happen is because of the lack of an appropriate rink.

I really don't see Windsor and Sarnia saying no to a team in Chatham. Would reduce some travel cost and could make for a great rivalry.

I think it's only a matter of time before the OHL looks at expansion and will come down to who has a rink or in the process of building an arena. Chatham would quickly become a favorite over Cornwall and Brantford.

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Unfortunately with this it comes back to the same old chat we've seen several times before division realignment if Chatham were to be awarded a franchise. Which means someone in the league right now would get the short end of the scenario.

The only way I believe Chatham will be getting a team would be if an existing team is going to relocate, or if the league expands each conference a team or two, making it a 22 team league like the WHL.

I do tend to agree that Cornwall would probably be a long-shot right now due to simple factors that always play into effect.

1- the distance between Cornwall and the rest of the league is significant.

2- Which is just plainly obvious, dose the City of Cornwall have the financial stability to be able to build or renovate a current facility with Million dollar renavations.

3- Dose the league really want to go down a path they've tried in both the O and Q again, to find the same results before, I understand that Cornwall would be a logical choice for a club due to their history in both the O and Q respectively but if that was the case you'd think that the league would have explored that option when Plymouth moved to Flint, Belleville moved to Hamilton or Brampton moved to North Bay.

At this point in time unless the league has a master plan to expand both conferences two 11 clubs and make the league like the WHL where there's 22 teams then what we have now will more then likely what will be for years to come.

I understand the reasoning of close rivals in this league make for exciting hockey but as a pointed out in earlier post I would strongly think that cities like Chatham would have been blocked by current teams like the Spitfires and Sting as each team has its respective markets and Chatham is on the edge of both cities fanbase.

There still is a chance for Chatham in the future but it won't be from expansion more relocation of a struggling market.

buzzer beater

Oct 24, 2018
Cornwall has everything to be a sustainable market. Add Belleville to the equation and the travelling distance in the Eastern part of the league starts making more sense.

Opinionated

Mar 27, 2014
I understand the reasoning of close rivals in this league make for exciting hockey but as a pointed out in earlier post I would strongly think that cities like Chatham would have been blocked by current teams like the Spitfires and Sting as each team has its respective markets and Chatham is on the edge of both cities fanbase.

I would almost guarantee that there are no fans from Chatham spending money on tickets for the Spits or the Sting. They would be spending their hockey ticket money on tickets for the local Jr. B team at the moment.

Reactions: comment ca va

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
1- the distance between Cornwall and the rest of the league is significant.

The distance from SSM to Sudbury and Saginaw, their two closest teams, is much greater.

I don't think Windsor or Sarnia would refuse a Chatham team, but none of this is going to happen anytime soon, either.

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Cornwall has everything to be a sustainable market. Add Belleville to the equation and the travelling distance in the Eastern part of the league starts making more sense.

Belleville could potentially come back to the O assuming that the Sens affiliate folds. Cornwall could be feasible but not unless they plan to build a new facilities that would be a multi-purpose building. But once again like the two times before they left the CHL.

Would the citizens of Cornwall embrace OHL and support them again and if so how would the divisions look?? Its not out of the question that if Cornwall was to re-establish in the league that it would change the dynamic of the league but it would also force the league to redraw the divisions across the league entirely.

If the league was keen on adding teams I think youd have to add 2 cities not just one. A team in the western conference and a team in the eastern conference. To make any chance of Chatham to be awarded a franchise in the O.

Reactions: buzzer beater

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
As someone who is from Chatham.

Who has worked in the arenas, played in the arenas, grew uup in the arenas of Chatham

this has got to stop.

They have NO ARENA!!!!!

The arena they do have has bleachers and can hold maybe 2000 people at best.

If you take those bleachers out and add seats im guessing it would be less.

The arena has 1 bathroom, a concession hole in the wall thats 15 feet long, its a fragile building that can not last a major upgrade.

The city is banging heads over a new arena and that's not going to happen any time soon.

I'd love to see the OHL in my hometown. But this conversation happens every year at this time since the late 90's.

It's time to stop.

Attachments

• mem arena 5.jpg
    mem arena 5.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 45
  • mem arena 4.jpg
    mem arena 4.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 44
  • mem arena 3.jpg
    mem arena 3.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 57
  • mem arena2.jpg
    mem arena2.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 52
  • memorial arena1.jpg
    memorial arena1.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 43

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
I would almost guarantee that there are no fans from Chatham spending money on tickets for the Spits or the Sting. They would be spending their hockey ticket money on tickets for the local Jr. B team at the moment.

Actually I have plenty of friends who are Sarnia Sting Season Seat holders.

A few companies from chatham has seasons with windsor as well.

You' be surprised

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
The problem with the new arena proposal in Chatham as well is that the land they are looking at is contaminated.

Would cost a few millions just to clean it up.

The city of chatham has allocated funds to stupid projects in the past and that leaves residents uneasy about this potential new arena.

Captain Crash

Apr 9, 2015
As someone who is from Chatham.

Who has worked in the arenas, played in the arenas, grew uup in the arenas of Chatham

this has got to stop.

They have NO ARENA!!!!!

The arena they do have has bleachers and can hold maybe 2000 people at best.

If you take those bleachers out and add seats im guessing it would be less.

The arena has 1 bathroom, a concession hole in the wall thats 15 feet long, its a fragile building that can not last a major upgrade.

The city is banging heads over a new arena and that's not going to happen any time soon.

I'd love to see the OHL in my hometown. But this conversation happens every year at this time since the late 90's.

It's time to stop.

I imagine this is why the impetus for this thread is a new arena proposal, no?

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
For the admiration of the citizens of Chatham, Ontario in hopes of attracting an OHL club.

I can't see the city of Chatham making it to the OHL at this time, for these specific reasons.

One current OHL cities have the first right to allowing cities to infringe on their current fanbase and with Chatham being in the close proximity of the current Windsor Spitfires, I would think that the Spitfires organization would be the team that would block any attempt to allowing the city of Chatham to make the push for entertaining an OHL club the same could also be said for the Sarnia Sting for the same reasons.

So unless there is an unanimous decision by the majority of the board of governors of the league to approve a relocation of a current struggling team I can't see Chatham being awarded a club in the current state of the league.

There happens to be only a few cities that could support an OHL club expansion and even with Chatham being one of those cities, it still ponders the question if the league were to expand past the current 20 team system would the additional cities be able to support a club or have a facility up to league standards.

Right now I'd have to say that expansion in to Chatham is more of a bubbling thought than an actual possibility at this point and has the same chances of cities like New Market, Belleville or Cornwall returning to the league.
The distance of about 80 km would not be a problem for Windsor in my opinion. The distance between Flint and Saginaw is much less than that. Is it a viable market? I have no Idea.

Dog Fan

Apr 22, 2017
Rumour has been around for years that the Ice Dogs have spoken to people in Chatham. They are just rumours though

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
The distance of about 80 km would not be a problem for Windsor in my opinion. The distance between Flint and Saginaw is much less than that. Is it a viable market? I have no Idea.

I do know for a fact that there is a certain limitation of distance that teams can block any attempt to allowing cities to have teams due to fanbase markets but I don't know what the specifics are but it is X amount of kms between cities with the exception of Guelph and Kitchener which is 26 kms. The Flint and Saginaw rivialry is unique but I think it's more due to the limitations of the American based teams to 3 compared to the WHL who has a whole division.

From Up Top

Apr 30, 2010
If the league were to expand by two teams, I don't think it would be too much of an issue adding Chatham and Cornwall.

It would solve the division issue in the East with a team in Cornwall.

East - Cornwall, Ottawa, Kingston, Oshawa, Peterborough
Central - Sudbury, North Bay, Barrie, Mississauga, Hamilton, Niagara

The only issue with Chatham is which division do you put them in the West... It would reduce travel for Sarnia and Windsor, but would a new team want to be in the same division as the Soo?

Speculation is so much fun :laugh:

bladesausteel2941

Apr 12, 2019
Look at Niagara though. When they first moved to St. Catharines they played in a BARN. Gatecliff had its charm, for sure, but there were doubters the area could keep an OHL team afloat. Less then 15 years later, St. Catharines has a brand new arena in the Meridian Centre and the team is doing rather well attendance-wise.

While I'm not saying Chatham for sure can sustain a team, I'm not saying they can't.

Reactions: three dog night

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Until (IF) the arena is built, forget about it. Stratford has a bigger arena from the looks of things. League is not expanding, look at the attendance figures, the league may have a couple teams looking for a place to land and right now there isn't one in the province at this moment.

Ain't happening for years if it ever does, which I am doubtful.

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
https://beta.ctvnews.ca/local/windsor/2019/5/28/1_4441137.html

This would certainly shed some light on possible expansion and where in the O. It may not be very long in the near future to see Chatham in the OHL's west division sooner than we expected.

18.5 Million would almost solidify the future of the city of Chatham of joining the OHL in a season or two they've been rumored for years of being on the OHL wishlist of team locations the league would love to see a team in.

three dog night

May 3, 2014
https://beta.ctvnews.ca/local/windsor/2019/5/28/1_4441137.html

This would certainly shed some light on possible expansion and where in the O. It may not be very long in the near future to see Chatham in the OHL's west division sooner than we expected.

18.5 Million would almost solidify the future of the city of Chatham of joining the OHL in a season or two they've been rumored for years of being on the OHL wishlist of team locations the league would love to see a team in.
It going to be lot more money doubt the government will help much.

three dog night

May 3, 2014
Look at Niagara though. When they first moved to St. Catharines they played in a BARN. Gatecliff had its charm, for sure, but there were doubters the area could keep an OHL team afloat. Less then 15 years later, St. Catharines has a brand new arena in the Meridian Centre and the team is doing rather well attendance-wise.

While I'm not saying Chatham for sure can sustain a team, I'm not saying they can't.
True but the Jack is a bit bigger than the Memorial arena

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Current Memorial Arena capacity is just under 2,500. They would absolutely need some kind of renovation/addition to get into the OHL. Even OS, which is a small rink, has 3,500.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad