News Article: Spector: Oilers held hostage by their past

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
I'll just copy my comment/question from the other topic.

"The first I heard about how Coffey acted on the job as well.

Any other sources on that? Hadn't followed it closely."

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I ignored the Coffey talk when it happened because it honestly sounded like something he wasn't even going to get paid for. From the get go it was them asking for a former player's input because the teams was failing in many facets. Their mistake was bringing it public.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Clown show.

I agreed with hiring someone to help fix the special teams. That's total bush league by the OBC and Coffey if he wasn't taking the job seriously though. The way it was presented by the Oilers was he'd be helping at practice and going down to Bakersfield to work with the prospects.

Reactions: Slicknitty

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Good article and my overarching concern with this team is the OBC. I dont believe Chiarelli or Nicholson were able to fire Lowe and MacT after their decade of ineptitude, and somehow Howson and Green have the same OBC blanket of invincibility.

This team needs a Nicholson and someone >like< Chiarelli who have the courage of their own convictions to stand up against the OBC and Katz's love for the glory days.

Be careful what you wish for Fire Everyone crowd. Because you just might get it.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
That's actually a pretty disturbing article if it speaks the truth. I know Stauffer has hinted on more than one occasion that someone or some people with pull in the organization didn't like Hall, and that may have contributed to his being moved. Maybe there is a connection. But a disturbing article either way.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Good article and my overarching concern with this team is the OBC. I dont believe Chiarelli or Nicholson were able to fire Lowe and MacT after their decade of ineptitude, and somehow Howson and Green have the same OBC blanket of invincibility.

This team needs a Nicholson and someone >like< Chiarelli who have the courage of their own convictions to stand up against the OBC and Katz's love for the glory days.

Be careful what you wish for Fire Everyone crowd. Because you just might get it.

Chiarelli and Nicholson are as bad as the rest of them. All are clueless boobs.

This fanbase is being taken advantage of because they want so badly to believe. But they're all morons.

Blaming everything on Lowe/Mac T now while letting Chia dither is just the same crap of how things go in Edmonton. No accountability.

Reactions: Slicknitty

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
What is he even talking about in regards to Coffey?

The Coffey hire was a failed experiment? He didn't put in enough time to succeed? A skills development coach is supposed to come to the rink early and pour over film?

That article reads more like some gossip column than actual journalism.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Coffey was a good hire. I'd hire Roloson or Ranford for goalie coach as well
My issue with Coffey’s hire (when it was announced) was how committed he was to the job. He’s an ex player that’s been out of the game for almost twenty years and his reason for that was pretty much because he had better things to do. According to Spector, he still had better things to do and wasn’t around much.

Coffey was a brutal hire, maybe the worst one yet just because he isn’t willing to pour his soul into it like pretty much anyone else would. You could easily make a case for Ranford as he got into coaching pretty quickly after he stopped playing. He’s committed. I’m not familiar with what Roloson has done so I can’t comment on him, but there’s no defending Coffey’s approach to the job and calling it a good hire,

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
There's a real easy way to solve this, and since Bobby Burgers is so busy "evaluating" why doesn't he evaluate something useful. Anyone who was involved in or pushed for any of the following moves:

1.) Trading the 16/33rd picks for Griffin Reinhart

2.) Trading Taylor Hall for Adam Larsson

3.) Signing Milan Lucic to a $42 million dollar 7 year contract

Anyone and everyone that was in on those moves should be fired.

I got Chia and Bob Green out, who else? Why don't you f***ing do your job Nicholson and "evaluate" that, instead of getting razzle dazzled by "plans".

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB

This fanbase is being taken advantage of because they want so badly to believe. But they're all morons.

Blaming everything on Lowe/Mac T now while letting Chia dither is just the same crap of how things go in Edmonton. No accountability.
Even if they brought in your favorite GM the meddling would continue
That’s the point

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

Back into rant territory I see. What else is new? Everyone apparently is a moron in this town except you of course.

Perhaps to find some inner peace and save money on keyboards you might want to find a new team to cheer for. Vegas are going well and its year one!

I said.....This team needs a Nicholson and someone >like< Chiarelli who have the courage of their own convictions to stand up against the OBC and Katz's love for the glory days.

Be careful what you wish for Fire Everyone crowd. Because you just might get it. <----- This is the important part.

And I imagine this becomes yet another Fire Chia thread with 50 more Soundwave blasts of repetitive cynical posts in...... 3, 2, 1, Go.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
It honestly reads like some desperate defense of McLellan.

Spector is basically trying to blame the coaching train wreck on a part time skills development coach.

Is Todd the only guy left in the organization that will actually talk to him?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad