Spectacular Strachan!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carl Spackler

Mar 9, 2004
Is it not a bit naive to think that Bettman could pull the wool over all of the owner's eyes and lead them blindly down the path to ruin? Bettman is a representative of the owners-he carries out their wishes and takes the flak for it. He would not be able to do something that the majority of the owners did not want him to do.

That being the case, would the majoirity of the owners blindly support this plan if there really was all that profit to be made? The fact they are willing to go through this shows the sorry economic state the league currently is in.

It really doesn't matter anyways. The owners can hold out a LOT longer than the players can. I hope they enjoy beiong in exile in Europe next year when replacement hockey starts with players who actually appreciate the good fortune they have to be playing hockey for a living.

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004
If owners aren't willing to share revenue to make "their" league stronger, why should the players agree to a salary cap ? So teams like Carolina and Phoenix can be somewhat profitable, while the Rangers, Leafs, Flyers, Stars, and Red Wings would be earning $ 50 million in annual profits.

Let's call the lockout for what it is. An attempt by the billionaire owners/corporations to increase the value of their franchises. http://ordinaryleastsquare.typepad.com/dubi/2004/01/old_boss_new_bo.html

It's got nothing to do with making the NHL, as a whole,financially stronger. If the NHL wants an "economic partnership" with the NHLPA, it first needs an "economic partnership" amongst the owners.

The players already offered rollbacks in current contracts (24%), entry level contracts, and arbitration.

The NHL's argument that they need cost certainty is true. however, it's up to them to deal with the discrepanies in revenue generating ability among their teams.

The players have done their part, now it's time for the owners to do their part.

The fact the owners can't trust themselves isn't the players responsibility.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
hawker14 said:
Let's call the lockout for what it is. An attempt by the billionaire owners/corporations to increase the value of their franchises. http://ordinaryleastsquare.typepad.com/dubi/2004/01/old_boss_new_bo.html

It's got nothing to do with making the NHL, as a whole,financially stronger. If the NHL wants an "economic partnership" with the NHLPA, it first needs an "economic partnership" amongst the owners.

Huh? All you have to do is look at the two proposals. It's pretty easy to see which one leads to a healthier league - that's all that matters. The players' proposal benefits no one but themselves.

Bill McNeal

Jul 19, 2003
Montreal
What kind of fantasy world does Strachan live in? And I'm not talking about his stance, I have no problem with him or anybody choosing a side in this affair, but this quote boggles my mind:

Al Strachan said:
Yesterday, Gary Bettman, who managed to do what once seemed impossible -- inflict more damage on the game than John Ziegler -- turned down the players' offer that appears workable to everyone in the world but him, his minions and the 30 club owners.

I don't even know where to begin...

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The Albino said:
What kind of fantasy world does Strachan live in? And I'm not talking about his stance, I have no problem with him or anybody choosing a side in this affair, but this quote boggles my mind:

I don't even know where to begin...

Well care to explain why it isn't workable since the owners have no viable solution other than to give themselves a safety net.

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
Loki said:
Who made this guy a moderator.

It is very dissapointing because I am unable to add him to my ignore list.

Please step down!

why ? because he doesnt have the "popular" opinion ?

sheesh, didnt know you had to be popular to be on this board.

dr

ceber

Apr 28, 2003
Wyoming, MN
Bicycle Repairman said:

Doesn't really address any of the reasons the league gave for rejecting the NHLPA's proposal, though. Also, he falls into the trap that many people do of personalizing this and demonizing either Goodenow or Bettman (or both).

Symptomatic of the poor quality of so much public discourse these days. Forgo meaningful discussion and debate for sarcasm and shouting. This article wasn't intended to change anyone's mind or present new opinions; it's just a rallying cry for people who already support that point of view.

Nothing wrong with an article like that on it's own. But when that's all we get out of the media on all sides of the issue, well it's just too bad.

Steve L*

Jan 13, 2003
Southampton, England
Visit site
I find it highly amusing that someone uses both Brooks and Strachan to try and back up his less than knowledgable views.

Anyone with an ounce of logic would know that they are wrong if their views are the same as two of the 3 blind mice.

I do agree with the other person that it refelcts badly of HF having him as a mod. He posts a new thread just to try and annoy people which is typical troll behaviour. He would be only 1 of 2 or 3 people on my ignore list if I could do that.

Bill McNeal

Jul 19, 2003
Montreal
go kim johnsson said:
Well care to explain why it isn't workable since the owners have no viable solution other than to give themselves a safety net.

I was referring to the fact that Al seems to think the world is pro-player and the owners seem to be a small isolated group with no backers, when from everything I've seen (on these boards and elsewhere) it's the complete opposite.

windowlicker

Jun 17, 2003
Murky Wisconsin
Visit site
Loki said:

Please step down!

Have you ever worked in an enviroment where certain individuals retain their positions soley on the fact their "mom" or "aunt" knows "so & so" at the company?
Its called "having connections."

bling

Jun 23, 2004
I read on another thread in this forum, I can't remember which one it was, that it is the pro-NHLPA posters who are getting personal and attacking the pro-Owners personally rather than on the issues. :dunno:

This thread certainly belies that fact. :shakehead

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Loki said:

Please step down!

He's not a moderator on THIS board. Moderators are considered just like regular posters on boards they don't moderate. If you don't like his opinions, debate the substance of the opinion. If you want to debate the substance of the poster (any poster), you're going to have problems.

Kaiped Krusader

Jul 1, 2004
Rylan up the Opposition
bling said:
I read on another thread in this forum, I can't remember which one it was, that it is the pro-NHLPA posters who are getting personal and attacking the pro-Owners personally rather than on the issues. :dunno:

This thread certainly belies that fact. :shakehead
I pointed it out in the "Accepting NHL's offer" thread. I know I'm not the only person to have noticed it, though.

scaredsensfan said:
How stupid are the masses anyway? Surpassing even my lowest expectations (in the wrong direction).
:dunce:
I can't help but notice that in the war between the two sides, the insults are all coming from the same direction. This holds true for both the sides themselves and the groups of fans that support their respective sides.

Steve L*

Jan 13, 2003
Southampton, England
Visit site
bling said:
Thats because they know they are wrong, they know they are backing the losing side and have nothing left to do apart from insult the people who favour the owners.

The players are doing it, the NHLPA are doing it, the pro NHLPA writers are doing it and finally the pro NHLPA poster are doing it.

Steve L*

Jan 13, 2003
Southampton, England
Visit site
Buffaloed said:
He's not a moderator on THIS board. Moderators are considered just like regular posters on boards they don't moderate. If you don't like his opinions, debate the substance of the opinion. If you want to debate the substance of the poster (any poster), you're going to have problems.
Well then, can you make it so we can add him to the ignore list on any board except the one he moderates on? I, for one, would rather skip his mindless drivel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad