Line Combos: Special Teams

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
With a significant part of both the main PP and PK units leaving via FA, we can now speculate what Babcock may be planning for this upcoming season.

IMO:

PP1:
Matthews - Tavares - Nylander
Rielly Marner

PP2:
Marleau - Kadri - Hyman/Kapanen
Gardiner - Johnson

PK1:
Hyman - Kapanen
Rielly - Hainsey

PK2:
Kadri - Brown
Dermott - Zaitsev

Reactions: mix1home and crump

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
johnsson will be our 4th or 5th PKer, im pretty sure we bring in a 4C that can PK, but will we rely heavily on hyman, brown, and kapanen this year

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
PP1 Matthews left wall, Tavares right wall, Marleau in the slot, Brown in front, Rielly up top.

PP2 Nylander left wall, Marner right wall, Kadri in the slot, Johnsson in front, Gardiner up top.

PK1 Lindholm-Brown
Hainsey-Zaitsev

PK2 Hyman-Kapanen
Rielly-?

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Marner was outstanding playing the point on PP when given the opportunity late last season. Kadri has had 30 goal season because he has played LW, replacing Hyman on the PP
So it might be Kadri, Matthew, Nylander. Marleau, Tavares, Kapanen. Actually at some time I wouldn't be surprised seeing Grunstrom at LW. He might have a net presence and soft hands....we'll see, but I'm high on him.
Gardiner, Marner. Reilly, Zaitsev.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
It's time for Matthews to see some #1 pp unit time. Bozak and JVR are gone, they get replaced by Tavares and Matthews, if Kadri isn't clicking drop Kadri down to the 2nd unit and bring up Nylander.

Marner, Reilly, Matthews, Tavares, Nylander

Johnsson, Gardiner, Kadri, Marleau, Kapanen

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
It's time for Matthews to see some #1 pp unit time. Bozak and JVR are gone, they get replaced by Tavares and Matthews, if Kadri isn't clicking drop Kadri down to the 2nd unit and bring up Nylander.

Marner, Reilly, Matthews, Tavares, Nylander

Johnsson, Gardiner, Kadri, Marleau, Kapanen
I think it's tougher than just listing our best players. I think Nylander and Marner have the same role on the PP and my guess is they won't be on the same PP.

Didn't know Tavares sets up in front of the net before but he'll definitely just slot in where JVR was if that's the case.

Tavares
Matthews-Kadri-Marner
Rielly

Marleau
Leivo?-Johnsson-Nylander
Gardiner

Not impressed with the 2nd unit so maybe they do end up splitting it up again. Use Matthews chemistry with Nylander still?

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Seems like a less popular option...

Keep Matthews and Marner on seperate powerplay units.

Both are incredible PP players and should be split to optimize PP effectiveness.

Or at the very least, don't load Matthews, Tavares and Marner on the same unit.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
The big problem with having Tavares, Matthews, Marner, and Nylander all on the same PP... is that it's not going to be fair to the other team. A second PP unit will not be needed.

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
I don't get why everyone keeps speculating... Babcock has literally stated what the PP will look like. There are going to be no changes other than Tavares replacing JVR's spot on the PP, and I'm guessing Johnsson takes over for Bozak... literally it.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
PP will go something like

marleau/johnsson - tavares - kadri

rielly - marner

johnsson/marleau - matthews - kapanen/ennis

gardiner - nylander

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
I don't get why everyone keeps speculating... Babcock has literally stated what the PP will look like. There are going to be no changes other than Tavares replacing JVR's spot on the PP, and I'm guessing Johnsson takes over for Bozak... literally it.
Well he's wrong. :D

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Why is he so stubborn? More successful teams stack their pp. Why does it have to be balanced? When Pittsburgh won back-to-back cups they stacked their #1 unit and played them 1:30 of the PP. Who gives a shit who's on the second unit playing 30 seconds?

weems

Jul 3, 2008
How many 1st overall picks, that have proved to be one of the very elite goal scorers in the league already in their 2nd year have played on a 2nd PP unit for 3 full seasons?

So we're going to pay this guy superstar money and play him on the 2nd unit when hes our best goal scorer?

Before anyone comes in and says "But the minutes get evenly distributed" yes if you look at it in basic terms but the HUGE difference is the first unit always gets to start the PP in the offensive zone while the 2nd unit almost always comes on when the puck has been exited from the offensive zone and they have to go back retreat and make another effective zone entry which isn't always easy.

Why does it seem like the coach is so against stacking the PP like many other teams do?

How long do you think Matthews is going to be cool with being deployed on the second PP while every other star in the league gets #1 PP usage.

I don't even know how anyone can compare him to other stars in the league when they see more PP icetime per game and they always get to start the PP with a faceoff in the offensive zone.

Matthews should without a doubt be on the first unit.

Put both Matthews and Tavares out there with Marner and watch magic happen.

I don't care if our second unit sucks. Just play the first unit like a 1:30 each time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->