Special Teams

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
Can we all agree on this for the 2 pp and pk units?

Michalek-Spezza-Ryan
Wiercioch-Karlsson

xxx-Turris-xxx
xxx-xxx

xxx-Condra
Methot-Phillips

xxx-xxx
Cowen-xxx

But who should fill in the other spots?

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
PP1
MM-Spezza-Ryan
Wiercoch-Karlsson

PP2
Macarthur-Turris-Zibanejad
Cowen-Corvo

PK1
Smith-Condra
Methot-Cowen

PK 2
Turris-Michalek
Philips-Karlsson

Topside

Jul 2, 2009
I'd probably like Cowen-Karlsson in the 2PP unit if Corvo is sitting. Karlsson can handle two mins of PP.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Considering how effective our PP has been over the past year, calling them "Special" teams is an apt description of their effectiveness.

Thoughts:
1) I'm curious to see who will win the LW spot next to Turris: MacArthur, Conacher or Pageau? I'm assuming Zibanejad will be the RW.
2) If Pageau makes the team, does he take over that spot? If so, why do we have Conacher AND MacA AND Pageau on the same team? Does it force Murray to move one of them?
3) Does Karlsson log double-duty minutes on the PP? I have a feeling that he'll be featured on the #1 and #2 PP units quite a bit this year, especially in games with fewer PP chances.
4) Do we give Karlsson important PK minutes, or try to groom Gryba for 2nd unit PK duties?

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
What I would like to see and what will happen are very far apart.

I expect PP1 to be our top line. Michalek infront of the net, ryan on his offside for 1 timers and Spezza to cycle. Karlsson and Weircioch on the line.

for the PK, I expect to see more Karlsson like at the start of last year before he got injured.

Inf4mous0ne

Jan 28, 2010
PP1
MM-Spezza-Ryan
Wiercoch-Karlsson

PP2
Cowen-Corvo

PK1
Smith-Condra
Methot-Cowen

PK 2
Turris-Pageau
Philips-Karlsson

Pretty much this, except changed your PK 2. Think having Pageau there would be better than Michalek for a few reasons:

1) Great speed, went on a short-handed breakaway when on the PK already this preseason
2) He's willing to fight for the puck, moreso I think than Michalek
3) Saves Michalek for even strength (i.e. can come back with the top line once the pk is over)
4) For faceoffs in our own end, if the centre gets kicked out we have another centre to take the faceoff

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Considering how effective our PP has been over the past year, calling them "Special" teams is an apt description of their effectiveness.

Thoughts:
1) I'm curious to see who will win the LW spot next to Turris: MacArthur, Conacher or Pageau? I'm assuming Zibanejad will be the RW.
2) If Pageau makes the team, does he take over that spot? If so, why do we have Conacher AND MacA AND Pageau on the same team? Does it force Murray to move one of them?
3) Does Karlsson log double-duty minutes on the PP? I have a feeling that he'll be featured on the #1 and #2 PP units quite a bit this year, especially in games with fewer PP chances.
4) Do we give Karlsson important PK minutes, or try to groom Gryba for 2nd unit PK duties?

1. Have to believe MacArthur has the LW spot with Turris locked, unless MacLean moves him to the right side to make it easier for Conacher or Hoffman. Turris' line needs some size, without sacrificing speed or shooting, so I think MacLean may put Zibby on the RW at least to start the season.

2. Murray has been trying to deal, but it will be difficult to make a trade until mid-November, unless a team runs into injury issues. IMO there are several players Murray might like to trade due to their waiver status. Have to think two of Hoffman, Conacher, and Da Costa would be on Murray's trade list since I fully expect only one of these players makes the final cut.

2. Very difficult to suggest EK will will log double-duty PP time when his minutes are already obscene. While it might happen on occasion I doubt it will be a regular thing.

3. Have to believe MacLean will give EK PK time, but at the same time Gryba needs to be groomed for the role in the case of injury.

Balancing the ice time is ideal to the greatest extent possible, so the bigger the role Phillips, Gryba and Corvo can play the better it is for the top four.

Last edited:

QuietOnTheFront

@QuietOnTheFront
Jun 17, 2011
Vancouver, BC
PP1
MM-Spezza-Ryan
Wiercoch-Karlsson

PP2
Cowen-Corvo

PK1
Smith-Condra
Methot-Cowen

PK 2
Turris-Michalek
Philips-Karlsson

You could even slot Pageau in one of the PK units and Gryba instead of Karlsson on the last PK pairing.

I'd rather have Gryba killing penalties than EK.

Other than that exactly what I expect.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Pretty much this, except changed your PK 2. Think having Pageau there would be better than Michalek for a few reasons:

1) Great speed, went on a short-handed breakaway when on the PK already this preseason
2) He's willing to fight for the puck, moreso I think than Michalek
3) Saves Michalek for even strength (i.e. can come back with the top line once the pk is over)
4) For faceoffs in our own end, if the centre gets kicked out we have another centre to take the faceoff

Michalek is very fast... He generates tons of breakaways and is dangerous on the PK offensively.

Playing JGP and Mickalek with say Karlsson and Methot or Karlsson abd Cowen could be a pretty huge threat offensively from the PK, but also be sound defensively.

We will miss Alfredsson on rhe PK a great deal, he has been a key part of it since the previous lockout. If somehow JGP fills his skates, the Sens are golden.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad