Special Teams

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
I'm just gonna go ahead and put this here and let you guys talk about it.

11 power play opportunities, 0% success, 1 shorthanded goal against.

12 times shorthanded, 50% PK rate.

And let me add a "good lord".

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Renney is going to have his work to cut out for him, but c'mon the PK is going to suck no matter what.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
The PP had stretches tonight where it looked good, but the posts weren't friendly.

The PK is horrific though, i'm not sure where you even begin to try and fix a system as broken as the PK looks right now.

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
Might sound like a cop out but I don't think it's really fair to the Wings to include the stats from the St Louis game. They never really showed up that game and it was clear they weren't ready for the season.
Either way they will improve with more time, the team will gel better and Brunner will get more accustomed to the NA game to be a difference maker on the PP. Renney needs to get him off of the point though, I think he'd be better served posted out by the left face-off circle and try to replicate Stamkos with the one timer from there.
Also we are missing our best PKer in Helm, and our best pk d-man in Big E. So the PK should improve just by them returning, also Quincey and Cleary not taking dumb **** penalties would help also, but other than that I expect a mediocre PK over the course of the season.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Might sound like a cop out but I don't think it's really fair to the Wings to include the stats from the St Louis game. They never really showed up that game and it was clear they weren't ready for the season.
Either way they will improve with more time, the team will gel better and Brunner will get more accustomed to the NA game to be a difference maker on the PP. Renney needs to get him off of the point though, I think he'd be better served posted out by the left face-off circle and try to replicate Stamkos with the one timer from there.
Also we are missing our best PKer in Helm, and our best pk d-man in Big E. So the PK should improve just by them returning, also Quincey and Cleary not taking dumb **** penalties would help also.

True enough. And Eaves is pretty good at PKing as well. Hopefully in time he will get better and better as he gets back into routine. It might not be 30th bad:laugh:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Once the PK was strong.

After that we have had:

Eaves out for 14 months and lost his routine.
Helm injured.
Stuart left and Ericsson is the new main man now, and surprice, he's injured too.
Quincey is learning a new role.

Abdelkader and Miller are the main killers, when they should be secondary. Smith is a rookie. Only Kronwall is normal from our past and he was also making bonehead plays.

Really can't feel any good when we have a penalty.

God damned they should have had some underground training camp during the lockout.

BF3

Boom Roasted.
Dec 30, 2011
Cbus
The PP/PK lines are goofy right now. Helm will fix the later, hopefully Babcock tweaks the former. No idea why Smith isn't on PP.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
PP 0% on 15 opportunities.
PK 57.1% on 14 opportunities.
It's starting to get statistically significant.
We may be down a few PKers but all our point producing forwards are around except for 2z and he's not reliable.

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
We may be down a few PKers but all our point producing forwards are around except for 2z and he's not reliable.

A 3 game sample size is nowhere near "statistically significant", especially given the extenuating circumstances of an 8 month layoff, a one week training camp, no preseason, and all new PP and PK units.
Keep in mind that we are still missing our 2 best Pkers in Helm and Big E.

That being said the PP should be changed, I give it 1-2 more games and if it's still impotent they will be forced to change it. Could be sooner than that, Babs said it was "terrible" last night.

pdd

Feb 7, 2010

Bertuzzi's not a "point-producing" forward, either. He's a "offense-only" forward. That's not the same thing.

BF3

Boom Roasted.
Dec 30, 2011
Cbus
I think we may have more shots against on the PP than we have shots for.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Bertuzzi's not a "point-producing" forward, either. He's a "offense-only" forward. That's not the same thing.

Do you want to go ahead and link me to your dictionary because in my opinion a "point producing forward" is a forward who attempts to produce points and an "offense-only forward" is a forward whose main objective is to play offense which tends to result in producing points.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
A 3 game sample size is nowhere near "statistically significant", especially given the extenuating circumstances of an 8 month layoff, a one week training camp, no preseason, and all new PP and PK units.
Keep in mind that we are still missing our 2 best Pkers in Helm and Big E.

That being said the PP should be changed, I give it 1-2 more games and if it's still impotent they will be forced to change it. Could be sooner than that, Babs said it was "terrible" last night.

We've had 15 opportunities. That's 7% of the opportunities that Colorado had all of last season. Cut the season in half and it's 13%.

It's definitely starting to get statistically significant.

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
We've had 15 opportunities. That's 7% of the opportunities that Colorado had all of last season. Cut the season in half and it's 13%.

It's definitely starting to get statistically significant.

You're missing the point, the team isn't going to gel and find their groove in between PP opportunities, they are going to do so with more games.
At the end of the day those 15 opportunities still only came within the first 3 games of a shortened season for a team with new players, new units, no preseason, and a short camp. It's reasonable to expect that all aspects of their game will suffer for the first few games.

Actual Thought*

The PP had stretches tonight where it looked good, but the posts weren't friendly.

The PK is horrific though, i'm not sure where you even begin to try and fix a system as broken as the PK looks right now.
Helm will help a lot.

Iowa Wingsfan

Jan 9, 2012
The PP makes me wish that Jurassic Park was real so I could pick a fight with that venom spitting dinosaur, go blind, and spare myself the heartache of witnessing that abortion they call the man advantage.

sully6one

Unregistered User
Aug 6, 2011
Michigan
Zetterberg- Datsyuk- Franzen
Brunner- Kronwall

Healthy player- Filppula- Cleary
Smith/Quincey/White/Colaiacovo just two of them

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
You're missing the point, the team isn't going to gel and find their groove in between PP opportunities, they are going to do so with more games.
At the end of the day those 15 opportunities still only came within the first 3 games of a shortened season for a team with new players, new units, no preseason, and a short camp. It's reasonable to expect that all aspects of their game will suffer for the first few games.

Yes I am aware that there are reasons and excuses for it. But that does not mean that it's not worth discussing. Our PP sucks. I remember it sucking at the end of last year, too. We need it to improve badly.

Our PK can maybe be given a pass based on missing personnel. But if it still sucks in a few more games then that will be worth discussing too.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
It looks to me like we are designing our power play around a box with a goalie screener.

This was very effective WITH an elite screener (Holmstrom, sometimes Franzen) AND with excellent defensemen that could shoot wide, hit the net high, or keep the puck down for deflectable tips.

The current defense is not that good at this. We also lost holmstrom. Time to redesign the power play to more downlow play. That will open up the points more. But basically the book is out on our powerplay... pressure the point men, and take their time away. The point shot will be rushed, and powerplay defeated, don't worry about down low, they always pass it back to the points.

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
Yes I am aware that there are reasons and excuses for it. But that does not mean that it's not worth discussing. Our PP sucks. I remember it sucking at the end of last year, too. We need it to improve badly.

Our PK can maybe be given a pass based on missing personnel. But if it still sucks in a few more games then that will be worth discussing too.

Never said it wasn't worth discussing, and I agree that the PP sucks right now. I was just replying to your comment about how 15 opportunities in 3 games in statistically significant, which it isn't because, like you just said, there are extenuating circumstances. If this was mid-season and we went 0-15 then you'd be right.

Anyways back on topic, Brunner needs to be taken of the point his shot isn't effective from out there and he isn't great defensively, there was a SH chance because of him last game.
I've said it before and I'll say it again I'd like to see them try and emulate the Tampa PP and have Brunner floating by the left faceoff circle for the cross ice feed from Pav/Z for a one timer. His one timer would be much more effective from there.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Anyways back on topic, Brunner needs to be taken of the point his shot isn't effective from out there and he isn't great defensively, there was a SH chance because of him last game.
I've said it before and I'll say it again I'd like to see them try and emulate the Tampa PP and have Brunner floating by the left faceoff circle for the cross ice feed from Pav/Z for a one timer. His one timer would be much more effective from there.

Agree with that he should not be on the point.

But what if we turn it totally around? Let's not make him the shooter on the left circle, let's make him the main right-handed playmaker there, with 4 left-handed options waiting a pass for onetimer on the right side.

That would be something.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->