Special Teams Report Cards 2017/18

Jimby

Reformed Optimist
Nov 5, 2013
Winnipeg
Jets lose more faceoffs than they win on the Power Play and as a result spend a lot of time retrieving the puck from their own end. So far this year the top teams on the PP also win the large majority of faceoffs. The exception is the Wild who are worse on Faceoffs than we are but still are very good on the PP. So, what are the Wild doing that allows them to overcome not winning faceoffs?

Reactions: KingBogo

Calendal

May 16, 2016
London, England
Jets lose more faceoffs than they win on the Power Play and as a result spend a lot of time retrieving the puck from their own end. So far this year the top teams on the PP also win the large majority of faceoffs. The exception is the Wild who are worse on Faceoffs than we are but still are very good on the PP. So, what are the Wild doing that allows them to overcome not winning faceoffs?

At this point they could just be slightly lucky on top of being better organized.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
This is a good point. It really limits your offensive zone time.

Jimby

Reformed Optimist
Nov 5, 2013
Winnipeg
Looks like maybe the Wild are not feeling the effects as badly as we are because they have the second best shooting percentage on the PP while we have the 27th best.

This is a good point. It really limits your offensive zone time.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
These charts were found in an Athletic article about Jets forwards so it omits the D but found them very interesting so I though they would be a nice addition here. The 4 groupings are intended to separate players similar to 1st line 2nd line etc...The 4th chart is incorrectly labeled as pts/60

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

https://theathletic.com/135469/2017...th-forwards-deserve-a-larger-or-smaller-role/

Last edited:

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
After 10 Games

PP Opp - 34 (3.4/gm 24th)
GM 1-5 - 19
GM 6-10 - 15

Times SH - 36 (3.6/gm 23rd)
GM 1-5 - 21
GM 6-10 - 15

Penalty differential = (-2)
GM 1-5 (-2)
GM 6-10 (even)

PPGF 5 - SHGA 0 = 5
GM 1-5 (2-0=2)
GM 6-10 (3-0=3)

PPGA 8 - SHGF 3 = 5
GM 1-5 (6-2=4)
GM 6-10 (2-1=1)

ST Goal Differential = (even)
GM 1-5 (-2)
GM 6-10 (+2)

PP Efficiency - 14.7% (22nd)
GM 1-5 - 10.5%
GM 6-10 - 20.0%

PK Efficiency - 77.8% (25th)
GM 1-5 - 71.4%
GM 6-10 - 86.7%

Combined = 92.5
GM 1-5 = 81.9
GM 6-10 = 106.7

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
The coaching staff are not idiots. They know they have to fix the PK soon or it will start to bite this team where the sun don't shine.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
The PK is smoke and mirrors. It' far worse than its numbers indicate.
It's downright terrifying. I wonder if they don't want to tinker with it since it hasn't given up that many goals over the last couple of weeks - it was 72% over the Jets first 7 games, but it's pushing 81% over the last 7.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville

shotPlot-25-specialTeams-fen.png

I laughed at this so hard. We are quite literally off the charts bad.

The coaching staff are not idiots. They know they have to fix the PK soon or it will start to bite this team where the sun don't shine.
Holly molly that is really pitiful. Its pretty obvious to most everyone (except the coaches I guess) why we are as bad as we are, yet year after year we keep marching out there with the same outdated PK systems

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Holly molly that is really pitiful. Its pretty obvious to most everyone (except the coaches I guess) why we are as bad as we are, yet year after year we keep marching out there with the same outdated PK systems

Why do you think the coaches don't know it? They aren't stupid. Just because Maurice doesn't throw his team under the bus in media conferences doesn't mean he doesn't think everything is hunky dory on the PK.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Why do you think the coaches don't know it? They aren't stupid. Just because Maurice doesn't throw his team under the bus in media conferences doesn't mean he doesn't think everything is hunky dory on the PK.

Well it's not like we've seen much if any change in philosophy to the PK scheme. It' stayed relatively passive for years now with minimal adjustment. That to me points to a coaching issue not a pkayer performance issue. If Moe wants to call anyone out it should be himself for running the scheme he does.

The metrics clearly point to this being a systemic issue not a pkayer issue.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014

Who said they were idiots? The PK has been brutal for quite some time, not just this season. I think it's fair to question it, should it not be discussed?

Reactions: JetsFan815

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Well it's not like we've seen much if any change in philosophy to the PK scheme. It' stayed relatively passive for years now with minimal adjustment. That to me points to a coaching issue not a pkayer performance issue. If Moe wants to call anyone out it should be himself for running the scheme he does.

The metrics clearly point to this being a systemic issue not a pkayer issue.

I'm not going to disagree but the post I responded to implied that the coaching staff isn't even aware there is a problem. I don't for a second believe that is a true statement which is why I responded the way I did.

I think PK is an area this team needs to improve and it's also an area they should be capable of a big improvement

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
They are always working on things we don't know about or understand, we just need to accept that and move along.....apparently.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014

Who is this in response to? You don't quote anyone in it, you alone use the term idiot.

I don't doubt the coaching staff knows they need to fix the PK, I don't blame people for doubting their ability to do so however.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Who is this in response to? You don't quote anyone in it, you alone use the term idiot.

I don't doubt the coaching staff knows they need to fix the PK, I don't blame people for doubting their ability to do so however.

I did quote a post. I have no idea what happened to it.

Easternbull

Nov 18, 2016
Pk problems and stats aside, get buff of the freakin PP! He lacks the lateral skating abilty, shot accuracy and vision to play on point! Anyone of our dmen would be a huge improvement over buff, even enstrom.

Get ehlers on the first pp to bring the puck in the ozone under control instead of the constant hailmary dump and chase. Although scheiff wants to be better then mcdavid and co, he still sucks in the face off circle.

Maybe even wheeler could do a better job winning the face offs getting the puck to ehlers and finally passing the puck to the man with the best shot in the league!

Little does not cut it anymore he is a 3d line center nowadays and Patty needs a playmaking center that can drive the play.

I would be so bold as to give Armia a shot on the 2d line think, he could not do a worse job than little who has been absent imho.

Last edited:

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
May as well put this here, too:

Blake Wheeler, who is terrible on the powerplay, is near the top of the league in PP P/60, and at the top of the league in PP P1/60 (among those who've played over 20:00).

5Tu80Up.jpg

Reactions: Dayofthedogs

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
May as well put this here, too:

Blake Wheeler, who is terrible on the powerplay, is near the top of the league in PP P/60, and at the top of the league in PP P1/60 (among those who've played over 20:00).

5Tu80Up.jpg
I never thought Wheeler was terrible on the PP, just never thought much of him as a static player along the half wall.

The movement on the PP the Jets are using lately has been fantastic, Wheeler has been excellent. Maurice has made great improvements here.

I'd rather not see Lowry back out there though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad