News Article: Special Teams Key To Team's Success

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
Habs actually lead the league in GF PP + GF SH - GA SH - GA PP ... that is goals scored by the Habs while on the PP and while killing penalties minus goals allowed while killing penalties and goals allowed while on the power play ...

LePoche69

Jul 15, 2004
Montreal
The common belief is that there is less PP in the playoffs.

I would just say that even strenght goals are more important. And by the way, Boston won a cup without scoring a goal before the final, if I remember.

The poster quoted me. I never said that PP are not important. I said that regular season's success isn't important as it is rarely the same teams that are dominating. And the ability to score at even strenght is way more important since there is almost no PP in the third period, and absolutly none in the overtimes.

LePoche69

Jul 15, 2004
Montreal
Sorry, I didn't express myself properly. My question still stands though, why don't you think that PP success means anything in the playoffs?

Regular season success in the season means nothing in the playoffs since it all resets. Boston Won the cup while being the worse PP team in the playoffs -- they were vpretty good in regular season.

Even strenght goals have more weight. I don't need stats to realize that the referees swallow their whistle in the third period (worse and worse as the playoffs go further), and especially in the overtimes.

Last edited:

LePoche69

Jul 15, 2004
Montreal
I would say that a combination of strong 5 on 5 play and special units is needed. Might not need both the PP and PK to be great, but one of them + good 5 on 5 is a bare minimum.

Of course you're right. I was implying that being a top team on PP and PK in the regular season doesn't mean you'll duplicate the results in the playoffs. You can't enter the playoffs being confident because you were good on special teams in the regular season. But being good at even strenght means a lot more in my opinion. It means you're better at scoring when there is less room on the ice, which is always the case in the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad