Special jerseys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crazy_Ike

Cookin' with fire.
Mar 29, 2005
I'm surprised the NHL didn't take a lesson from Europe and go with having something like the leading scorer on each team have a special colored jersey or something similar, something to make them instantly visible to everyone watching on TV or in person, someone to rally around if he's on your team and to villify if he's on the other team.

Talk about an easy way to raise visibility of what are presumably the star of the team, if they are the leading scorer.

Fairly simple idea, and one with a bit of cheese, but it would work and when you're at the bottom of the barrel a little cheese won't hurt...

Oilers Ent

Aug 31, 2002
Burnaby, BC
robandgen.blogspot.com
Crazy_Ike said:
I'm surprised the NHL didn't take a lesson from Europe and go with having something like the leading scorer on each team have a special colored jersey or something similar, something to make them instantly visible to everyone watching on TV or in person, someone to rally around if he's on your team and to villify if he's on the other team.

Talk about an easy way to raise visibility of what are presumably the star of the team, if they are the leading scorer.

Fairly simple idea, and one with a bit of cheese, but it would work and when you're at the bottom of the barrel a little cheese won't hurt...

Yeah. That will promote team solidarity.

No thanks.

Crazy_Ike

Cookin' with fire.
Mar 29, 2005
A team that can't maintain its solidarity because of the color of a jersey is going to fall apart anyways.

Of course, nothing beats the allure of a bunch of nameless, faceless drones acting in concert within a defensive system, like NHL teams have been last decade, right? I mean, look at the people hammering on the gates to watch the games!

Crazy_Ike

Cookin' with fire.
Mar 29, 2005
Are you seriously suggesting the "enforcers" can't tell who's out there already?

Please.

HF2002

Aug 20, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
Sakuuuuu said:
It'll also put an even bigger target on a star player's head for the other team's enforcers. So agreed, no thanks.
Jesus. As if the players themselves don't already know who the best player on the other team is. Or solidarity? WHAT? "Don't pass Dany the puck. He's wearing the funny uniform. He thinks he's sooo great."

If you ever want to hear the most ridiculous counter argument for ANYTHING that's a change to the tired, boring hockey the NHL has become - this is the place to find it.

Jack Canuck

Sep 12, 2003
Hawaii
Visit site
I wouldn't want to see it. It may make the star player stand out to the fans, but it also makes him stand out to everyone on the ice. Everyone will be aware and pay special attention to that different color jersey. Its easier to spot something like that out of the corner of your eye. Besides they have big numbers pasted all over the jerseys to make them recognizable.

TexSen

Nov 20, 2003
Schaefer..Beer..mmmm
Jeez......would a red flashing fire truck light do the trick instead of the jersey?

I would think player X being a 3rd line checker getting a $200,000 paystub over player b being a 2nd line center and putting up twice as many points but getting a $10,000 paystub would do more to disrupt "team unity" than a freakin' $200 jersey.

Hell, if someone is the "golden boy" on a team, why not a golden helmet or jersey.

p.s. I can't tell if I am being sarcastic or not. I leave it to you to decide. Empowerment my friends. Empowerment.

oildrop

Mar 3, 2002
Visit site
The NHL hardly needs to change their jerseys and have the top player on the team wear a different colored jersey, that would be really dumb, IMO. The jerseys are fine the way they are. And if you don't know who the top player is for a certain team then maybe that person shouldn't be watching hockey. We all know who the stars of the League are, we don't need different colored jersey's to spot them.

TexSen

Nov 20, 2003
Schaefer..Beer..mmmm
oildrop said:
The NHL hardly needs to change their jerseys and have the top player on the team wear a different colored jersey, that would be really dumb, IMO. The jerseys are fine the way they are. And if you don't know who the top player is for a certain team then maybe that person shouldn't be watching hockey. We all know who the stars of the League are, we don't need different colored jersey's to spot them.

I disagree. I never knew Alfredsson was a Senator until he grew out his bozo the clown hair-do.

He toiled in anonymity until last season. Ask any Sens fan.

Crazy_Ike

Cookin' with fire.
Mar 29, 2005
The gold helmet thing is the way the European leagues do it, right?

The hardcore fans may know what player is which, but the people who just come out to the rink, maybe with friends or family, do they? Or the people catching it on TV as they flip through?

It doesn't solve any problems. But it might add a little more interestingness to games.

Of course, being individual and distinctive is poison to so many hockey dinos- er, fans. They seem to take PRIDE in the sport being boring and the teams being a bunch of faceless drones playing a system...

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Crazy_Ike said:
I'm surprised the NHL didn't take a lesson from Europe and go with having something like the leading scorer on each team have a special colored jersey or something similar

I don't think the NHL needs to copy random traditions from other sports just to whore itself out to idiots. Especially not Eurotrashy traditions like special jerseys.

bcrt2000

Feb 17, 2005
Harper said:
Since when did North American sports do anything the same way as European sports? Aside from the fundamentals of the sports (passing, shooting, dribbling, and what not)

isn't it obvious to you that hockey is a direct descendant of soccer? (well actually of field hockey... but field hockey is likely from soccer)

anyways, i don't agree with the original poster, but its a good idea to think about nonetheless

ResidentAlien*

bcrt2000 said:
isn't it obvious to you that hockey is a direct descendant of soccer? (well actually of field hockey... but field hockey is likely from soccer)

anyways, i don't agree with the original poster, but its a good idea to think about nonetheless
The game we know as hockey - or field hockey, for those distinguishing it from ice hockey - evolved in the British Isles in the 19th century. It was a popular English school game, adapted from the Irish game of hurling.

I got an idea why dont we fit the puck with a special electrode, that lights up when it gets smack really really hard?
Maybe just some solid marketing and good commentary explaining what is happening would be a good start.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Like Jack Canuck pointed out it'd just make top scorers' jobs that much more difficult. Not because goons would be gunning for their heads necessarily, but when making split second decisions it'll make it a lot easier for a defender who would otherwise be confused by the quickness of a play developing to make sure the star guy doesn't get any room to take the shot.

Plus it'd be pretty stupid the first week of the season or so with 3rd and 4th liners possibly wearing the jerseys just because of one or two fluke performances.

If you want the casual fans to know who the best players are just market them better. NFL marketing and media coverage highlights players even more than the teams themselves most times.

Chootoi

Jan 7, 2005
the NHL is not the tour de france.

i can't believe no one made that cheesy joke yet.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
Crazy_Ike said:

Ummm...I don't think so, sorry. Why not just give all the players lightsabres for fights? Now THAT would guarantee more viewers... :badidea:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->