special draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pothier

Aug 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Jason MacIsaac said:
Name the rookies better then Thornton in his first year. Parise is stuck behind two centers in NJ and was forced onto the wing where he is playing a position he is not used to.

You're right. Thornton had less-than-amazing statistics in his first year, but he developed into a great player later on in his career.

Sure, Parise might be a great player in the future, but the way he's been playing this year does not warrant a spot in Top-10 Rookies this year IMO.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Battochio30 said:
You're right. Thornton had less-than-amazing statistics in his first year, but he developed into a great player later on in his career.

Sure, Parise might be a great player in the future, but the way he's been playing this year does not warrant a spot in Top-10 Rookies this year IMO.
This thread isn't top 10 rookies....its if there was a draft held today of all the rookies, who would your top ten be. Parise would no doubt be in my top 10.

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
Jason MacIsaac said:
its if there was a draft held today of all the rookies, who would your top ten be. Parise would no doubt be in my top 10.
Off the top of my head, the following rookies have been more impressive than Parise this year: Crosby, Ovechkin, Lehtonen, Fleury, Phaneuf, Meszaros, Steen, Lundqvist, Vanek, Whitney, Prucha, Svatos, Richards, Jokinen, Seabrook, Ballard, Olesz.

17. Just my opinion.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
WVpens said:
Off the top of my head, the following rookies have been more impressive than Parise this year: Crosby, Ovechkin, Lehtonen, Fleury, Phaneuf, Meszaros, Steen, Lundqvist, Vanek, Whitney, Prucha, Svatos, Richards, Jokinen, Seabrook, Ballard, Olesz.

17. Just my opinion.

Yup, the trouble with his rational is that not all rookies come from one draft year. I can easily think of 10 rookies that I would take before Parise. Your list is a good start on that. Even though if his draft year would be redone he likely would crack the top ten.

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
Jaded-Fan said:
Even though if his draft year would be redone he likely would crack the top ten.
He was drafted in 2003, so that's highly debatable.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Epsilon said:
I assumed you were talking about specifically this season. I definitely agree that Fleury is a better long-term prospect than Lundqvist. It seemed most of the lists were basically "Calder rankings" since they were mostly missing Fleury and Lehtonen while putting in good but not great prospects like Prucha.

If you think about it, if Fleury is in fact a better long term prospect with a higher upside than Lundqvist, one has to wonder why he is not the #1 prospect in the entire league now. I think Fleury's a great goalie but I would give them around the same potentials. Just that Lundqvist is older and is settling into his a bit sooner. Fleury will be just as good, if not a bit better, though.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Jason MacIsaac said:
This thread isn't top 10 rookies....its if there was a draft held today of all the rookies, who would your top ten be. Parise would no doubt be in my top 10.

I can't see him being in the top 10 in anyones draft after how mediocre he's been all year.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Jon Prescription said:
If you think about it, if Fleury is in fact a better long term prospect with a higher upside than Lundqvist, one has to wonder why he is not the #1 prospect in the entire league now. I think Fleury's a great goalie but I would give them around the same potentials. Just that Lundqvist is older and is settling into his a bit sooner. Fleury will be just as good, if not a bit better, though.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Henrik Lundqvist. I also spent plenty of time defending him against that "he's not a great prospect unless he proves himself in NA" nonsense. But I'd take Lehtonen and Fleury over him long-term. Not by a whole lot mind you.

hossy316

Oct 25, 2003
Kensington, PEI
Visit site
WVpens said:

17. Just my opinion.

Yes, Lehtonen really deserves a spot before him because of his play this year. :shakehead

1 Win, 11 GA on 91 shots. Don't get me wrong, he will be great down the road and does warrant a spot over Parise, but according to your logic, which I question, Steen, Seabrook, Ballard, Prucha.......because of their play this year, GM's would be more likely to take them over Parise.....I don't think so.

As Jason MacIsaac said earlier, the thread states, if there were a draft of the rookies this year, who would be the top 10. IMO, with the game how it is now, this guy as a smallish player should be a top 10 and I'm an Oilers fan. We passed this kid over in the draft a few years back. Look no farther then his teammate Brian Gionta. 23 goals this season. In the old NHL, probably 8.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Vandalay said:
I thought Vanek would have been higher on this list and before Svatos :dunno:

No love for him?

if you drafting for future potential i would go with vanek top 5.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
Jason MacIsaac said:
Name the rookies better then Thornton in his first year. Parise is stuck behind two centers in NJ and was forced onto the wing where he is playing a position he is not used to.

Thornton was a kid straight out of juniors. Parise is a guy with three straight seasons of above-18 competition under his belt, one as a professional.

It's not quite the same, and should be taken into account.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
I'm surprised Suter made only 1 list . I think most people fellowed the 1st top10 list and added their favourite prospect in it .

Ratfinklives

Nov 24, 2002
Visit site
No love for Niitymaki? I just see Lehtonen being named a million times when Niitymaki is having a better year. But then again is he too old to be counted as a rookie?

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Ratfinklives said:
No love for Niitymaki? I just see Lehtonen being named a million times when Niitymaki is having a better year. But then again is he too old to be counted as a rookie?

Lehtonen has been injured almost all year, Niitymaki is not.

Nitty is not close to the same level as a Fleury, Lehtonen, or Lundqvist. Not even as Toivonen.

I see him as being nothing more than a good goalie. Nothing wrong with being good, mind you. ;)

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
1. Ovechkin
2. Crosby
3. Phaneuf
4. Lehtonen
5. Fleury
6. Vanek
7. Suter
8. Seabrook
9. Lundquist
10. Richards
11. Meszaros
12. Olesz
13. Nokelainen
14. Whitney
15. Campoli

I went to 15 so I could include a couple homer choices ;)

sabresfan65

Vegas HAS Hockey!!
Sponsor
May 23, 2004
Vegas
I love how most people forget that Ryan Miller is a Rookie this year as well.

11-5, 2.29, .922
Which are very comparable stats to Lundqvist this year.

Lundqvist

14-5, 2.14, .925

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->