Speaker Repair

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
Hi all, my girlfriend got me a Big Jambox for Christmas last year and it recently has a speaker that has somewhat blown out and gotten fuzzy.

I am looking to do a speaker repair, I have tools for soldering and the knowledge to replace, but what I am looking for is a replacement speaker.

Does anyone have experience doing this? Do I need to get the exact same speaker that was in there before, or can I use a different one that fits inside the box? Any recommendations for markets for speakers?

IronMosher

I R Sharks Fan
Aug 5, 2003
Waddletown, PA
Visit site
That item has been discontinued according to Amazon so it's doubtful you can get a proper replacement speaker.

What I know from experience with guitar amplifiers and car stereos, you can't stick in any old speaker that fits. The ohm's, watts, etc...all make a difference.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
Hi all, my girlfriend got me a Big Jambox for Christmas last year and it recently has a speaker that has somewhat blown out and gotten fuzzy.

I am looking to do a speaker repair, I have tools for soldering and the knowledge to replace, but what I am looking for is a replacement speaker.

Does anyone have experience doing this? Do I need to get the exact same speaker that was in there before, or can I use a different one that fits inside the box? Any recommendations for markets for speakers?

I'd start with Parts Express. They do have a lot of speakers that get used as replacements in various projects.

Like IronMosher said, you want something that matches the impedance rating (ohms) of the original speaker if possible. I'm not familiar with the Big Jambox - what kind of speaker setup is it? ie, is it a pair of one way speakers? A pair of two way speakers? One speaker? Going with a new speaker of a higher impedance won't be harmful, but if this thing has a pair of speakers, you may want to replace both then, or else higher impedance will really unbalance the amount of sound you get out of them (higher impedance is gentler on the amplifier, but gets you less sound).

Watts - as long as you get a speaker that has a high enough watt rating, this number really doesn't matter so much. The efficiency - this can matter for trying to balance the amount of sound coming out of both speakers if the thing has a pair of speakers, but there are so many different ways of rating it, I'd probably just buy two speakers and replace both to keep a match.

TLDR - if it's a pair of one way speakers, replace both, with at least as high an impedance as what's already in there. If it's more complicated than this, get back to me, and when I have time, I'll share my admittedly limited knowledge with you.

Edit - when I say higher impedance gets you less sound, I don't mean you're getting a less full sound, just less volume for the same amount of power.

Edit #2 - I've done a little looking, and it appears that it has a pair of one way speakers, and a passive radiator. I couldn't find the speaker size - but if you pull out one of the speakers, there's a good chance that there's an identifying part number on it that would help in finding an appropriate replacement. I suspect they're 4 ohm speakers, but they could be 8's (or something else).

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad