Space for Prospects - Next Year

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
Okay.....okay....

I know all about Panarin and Bobrovsky. They are UFA and unlikely to return. So the CBJ will have a forward and goaltending position open.

But the following players have RFA expiring contracts;

Forwards; Sedlak, Hannikainen, Duclair

Defense: Murray, Werenski, Harrington

Goalie: Korpisalo

I would expect Sedlak and one other forward to be re-signed.
I would be shocked if Murray and Werenski were not re-signed.
I would expect Korpi to be re-signed.

That leaves openings for 2 forwards, 1 defense, and one goalie. Now...you can never count out a trade, but I think the CBJ should have some prospects ready to make the leap. In fact, there might not be enough space available for some of the prospects that might be ready. I think this could actually FORCE a trade to create some space.

What say you?

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
As of now, I would expect Sedlak to be the only one to walk.

Hannikainen and Harrington have played themselves into regular roles. Murray has established himself as an important asset to hold on to. Werenski, while struggling, is still one of the franchises best assets (especially in the scenario Bob and Panarin aren't here next year). Duclair deserves another contract too and there is no downside to continuing the project as of now. Korpisalo obviously retained as he will be the favorite to be the starter next year.

The only prospects I could see making the jump is Stenlund, Davidsson, Gavrikov, and Merzlikins.

Merzlikins may come over by the end of the year, and if he does I expect him to get a heavy dose of AHL games. If he doesn't come over until next year, I still think he'll start in the AHL to get some NA games under his belt before making his way up to the NHL to challenge Korpisalo. However, with Korpisalo's struggles and the possibility of adding in a veteran to push both of the young guys, I think it's possible Merzlikins spends the whole year in the minors OR pushes Korpisalo out.

Gavrikov will be in the lineup by the end of the year if possible. If not, he will certainly be in the lineup next year.

Davidsson was a final cut this year and almost made the team. I think it had more to do with the "NHL or Sweden" thing, but if he looked out of place he wouldn't have gotten such a long look. He's obviously knocking on the door of an NHL job, but we have a few of what he already is. Is there room for him? We'll have to see who's still here, even with the hypothetical of Panarin leaving.

Stenlund, like Davidsson, almost made it this year. He looked very good in his preseason games and in camp, but he was the final cut. No clue how his play is in the AHL, but his stats are only OK. Probably will require more seasoning.

I don't think Foudy should make it next year unless he knocks the doors down in camp. He needs a lot of seasoning, as evidenced by his stats in the OHL and his cut from team Canada. Granted, I haven't watched him play, but he needs to pick it up if he's going to be an offensive player.

Abramov is another player knocking at the door. Started off lackluster in the AHL (not uncommon) and his stats aren't anything special. But he's improving his play lately in the AHL and that is a good sign. If I recall correctly, Bjorkstrand also started off pretty cool until the second half of his rookie season and he ended up alright. We'll see here.

I would have put Milano in that group of names, but I don't expect him to be here. But with the possibility of Panarin leaving we will need skill and he certainly has it. We'll see.

Reactions: Viqsi

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Assuming Panarin leaves and Dubi stays the Jackets will have 9 F's signed.

Sedlak, Duclair, Robinson, Davidsson, Stenlund, Abramov, Hannakeinen are the candidates to fill the spots internally. I agree with CBJW10 that Duclair should stay. I'm ambivalent about Sedlak & Hannikainen with a lean to let 'em go. I think Robinson has the best chance to make the team.

On D, assuming Gavrikov signs, there will be one opening for either Harrington & Kukan (already signed)

The disturbing thing about this kind of analysis is that there are no "sure fire" prospects who appear to become major contributors on offense. If Gavrikov lives up to the hype he will definitely help the D.

If Bread goes I hope like hell we pursue Skinner or Duchene (or both) in free agency. Without some additional firepower the Jackets are heading back to the pack and I'll have more interest in the 2020 draft.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Robinson will likely make a push for a bottom 6 role as well to piggyback off of CBJWennbergs post

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
W-10 and EspenK are kind of making the point I was going after. The CBJ had no prospects break through to the big club this year. Last year, the only player "up from the system" was PLD. The year before that, the Monsters won the Cup and that team graduated Werenski, Anderson, Bjorkstrand, and I thought there was one other.

I think both of the detailed analysis' above did a great job of lining out who could potentially be on the roster next October. You would have to think that if a couple guys like Milano and Abramov don't break through, they should probably consider a change of scenery. In fact, I'm expecting those two being packaged with somebody like Dubinsky to bring back a player like a Mark Stone, or a Matt Duchene.

My point was, by March if nobody really is hinting they are NHL ready by October, that is an indictment of the talent pool. Three years to graduate one guy just doesn't cut it. But, if 3-4-5 guys hint they are ready, Jarmo almost has to consider some trades to make room.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I don't think room will be cleared for forwards. Robinson, Stenlund, Milano, and Davidsson will have to win spots. Gavrikov you can pencil in if he signs, but I don't expect them to dump Harrington or Kukan before camp. More likely they keep 8D or just waive somebody.

I'm ambivalent about Sedlak & Hannikainen with a lean to let 'em go.

I'm guessing you formed your opinion long enough ago that what Hannikainen does at this point doesn't matter. But he's quietly among the best goals per minute guys on the team. And he brings a level of ferocity to the forecheck that is not easily matched. He'll be re-signed at this rate.

Sedlak isn't as effective but he's a center that plays heavy, and that alone gives him an edge in camp. The only center prospect maybe making the team is Stenlund, and they'd need full confidence in him to not re-sign Sedlak. If I had to guess now, I'd guess that they re-sign Sedlak even if they aren't sure that he'll keep his job. They'd just waive him if he's not one of the top 13/14 F's.

Reactions: Viqsi

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
If we are replacing Panarin with someone from Cleveland, and Bob with Korpisalo, it is going to be a long, long, season next year. We MUST go out and sign a top flight UFA (like Stone) to replace Panarin if we expect to remain competitive.
We simply do not have anyone in our system below the NHL level that is breaking down the doors to get an NHL slot.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Here's one guess at a 23 man roster

Duclair - Dubois - Atkinson
Stenlund - Wennberg - *Stone or other big forward acquisition
Foligno - Jenner - Anderson
Robinson - Nash - Hannikainen
Sedlak

Werenski Jones
Murray Nutivaara
Gavrikov Savard
Harrington
Kukan

Bobrovsky
*veteran backup

Davidsson is a heady player who will make the NHL, but I don't see it happening with the Blue Jackets and the heavy playstyle. I think he'll be traded. Same with Milano, and maybe both of the younger goalies if Bobrovsky is re-signed (I think there's still a significant chance Bob is back, maybe 50/50).

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
So your response to losing Bread is to promote One Goal Wennie to Second Line Center ???? Yeah that will work. If(when?) we lose Bread, we need to add both Duchene as a Second Line Center and Stone.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
So your response to losing Bread is to promote One Goal Wennie to Second Line Center ???? Yeah that will work. If(when?) we lose Bread, we need to add both Duchene as a Second Line Center and Stone.

This thread isn't titled "CBJ 2019 Dream Lineup". I'm trying to give a realistic picture to see how the prospects might fit. For the record I've got a bazillion posts with Duchene in the CBJ lineup, and plenty with both him and Stone. That would be preferred. I just think the chances of getting the top two free agents (other than our own) isn't super high.

In any case if this is the Jackets lineup next year, we'll go into it with Wennberg as the biggest question mark, but the question is hardly answered. Perhaps Stone can be Wennberg's sherpa figure, like Vanek or Hartnell only better.

Reactions: hardkorejackets

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
I just want to see Gavrikov honestly. I went nuts about him when we drafted him and have argued for him since then so Im just praying to finally be right about 1 prospect in any sport ever except Terrell Suggs and Haloti Ngata in the NFL.

Reactions: Son of Petter

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
The first line may need someone like Tom Wilson.
The first line is fine once Panarin goes back to playing responsibly.

The issue is our clunky 4th line that does nothing but sometimes win faceoffs and finish checks.

To compete with Washington, Tampa Bay, and Toronto our Wennberg line and Jenner line should be the 3rd and 4th lines (interchangeable based on how they are playing) with an actual 2nd line consisting of Bjorkstrand, Foligno, and a different center.

Go out and get Duchene I say

9 - 18 - 13
71 - Duchene - 28
37 - 38 - 77
17 - 10 - 91
20, 45

Last edited:

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Creed I agree with u 100 %. The absence of a real second scoring line is what keeps this team as a pretender rather than a contender. Get Duchene with Bjorkstrand and one other legit offensive talent. I am willing to try both Duclair & Milano. Drop the Fligs-Jenner-Anderson line to a real mayhem creating third line & fill in the bottom line with whatever is left. And part of the way to afford Duchene is to get rid of Wennberg’s $5 million for 5 goals contract. If Meither Duclair nor Milano work out then u have to go out & get anothe scorer.

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
Stenlund could use at least another partial season in Cleveland.

Robinson may be NHL-ready next year.

Dalpe could be an option on the fourth line.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
The issue is our clunky 4th line that does nothing but sometimes win faceoffs and finish checks.

I think it's got to be a really bad 4th line for it to be "the issue". And they're not that bad. Hannikainen is the only one scoring but they're very responsible as a unit, we rarely get scored on when they're out there.

Anyways we all agree, get a 2C. That's the biggest hole in the lineup. Eric Staal, Kevin Hayes, etc.. might be good rental options if we can't get Duchene.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Anyways we all agree, get a 2C. That's the biggest hole in the lineup. Eric Staal, Kevin Hayes, etc.. might be good rental options if we can't get Duchene.

I agree Staal could be had as a rental but I don't see Hayes as a rental. He's 26 and a pending UFA who is currently on track for over 70 points. He's going to want 6 to 7 mm for 6 to 7 years imo. I'm not saying he shouldn't be considered but no way will he be a rental. Not much else out there on the UFA market.
Of course we could offer sheet Matthews for 15 mm. :dunno:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad