Red Sox/MLB 2019 Season Begins - Bogaerts Extended 7Y $132M

Status
Not open for further replies.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
The Orioles had the best record of all AL teams from 2012-2016 but sure, I guess they "sucked" since they didn't get to the World Series.

Gotta love Red Sox fans laughing at a big free agent signing and saying they never work out when you got JD Martinez and Manny Ramirez who both got 9 figures from Boston and helped them win 3 World Series.

I guess it is a bit refreshing that other teams are at least attempting to buy a title like the Sox and Yankees do

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I guess it is a bit refreshing that other teams are at least attempting to buy a title like the Sox and Yankees do

There's nothing wrong with buying a title. As long as there's no hard salary cap, if an owner wants to go all in to win, they should. Would you rather see teams like Tampa getting the revenue sharing dollars and not investing it in their team?

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
There's nothing wrong with buying a title. As long as there's no hard salary cap, if an owner wants to go all in to win, they should. Would you rather see teams like Tampa getting the revenue sharing dollars and not investing it in their team?

I guess it depends on what team you're a fan of. As a A's fan or Expos when they were here, being a farm club for the sox and yanks can be frustrating and drive away attendance bc their is no real hope of winning barring everything going well that year similar to the KC Royals. As a Sox fan, I expect them to spend to keep up with the Yankees, if not I'm going to complain lol

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I would have bet Machado would get a 300 million dollar contract, but over 8 years.

I think there's definitely some soft collusion going on.

Maybe. Or maybe owners woke up and realized that guys like MM or BH are good, but not great players and not worth a 10 year commitment and the associated risk that comes with that kind of deal?

Given baseball's history, I lean towards collusion of some sort, but realistically, I think the days of grossly overpaying marginal talents simply because that player happens to be the best available UFA are gone. I think baseball front offices have gotten it down to as near a science as they can at this point because of their use of advanced stats. And those stats say a guy like Machado is a very good player, but his WAR is really an indictment on him being good but not great.

And yes, I just argued against a player's value using WAR. I'm as sick to my stomach as I can possibly be.

Mr Cartmenez

May 15, 2009
Mannheim
Machado is overrated. Good player, but I wouldn't have lost slept over the Yanks signing him. Now they will get Arenado next year. Harper? Great talent, but also very much overrated. What makes him (more) enticing than stars like Machado is his brand. More attention around the baseball universe and so on. He's gonna get 10/350m.

Let's have fun and offer Mookie the contract Machado got. Will be fun for a second, he's gonna reject and will go to free agency, damn.

Feb 24, 2017
Hey all. I’m a Vancouver area guy, and a huge fan of the 2004 Red Sox. I just wanna show my appreciation here for them, and a few of their boys.

Tim Wakefield- my favourite pitcher, ever. His game 4 start sacrifice to play mop up bitch vs NYY in game 3 is legendary selflessness. That’s the man. That’s why I paid so much money to sit behind home plate in Seattle to watch the man deal in like 2010.

Derek Lowe- I just always loved him. And he was a contributor in 04. Bless him.

Finally, Mike Timlin. Motherf***ing Mike Timlin. The one common bond between my three favourite World Series. Jays in 92 and 93 and the 04 Sox. I just love Mike. That’s it. Beauty.

Reactions: BMC

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
There should be a floor - a soft one

You lose revenue sharing money for not meeting it the same way you can get taxed and penalties for exceeding

Union really messed up on that last CBA

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Machado is overrated. Good player, but I wouldn't have lost slept over the Yanks signing him. Now they will get Arenado next year. Harper? Great talent, but also very much overrated. What makes him (more) enticing than stars like Machado is his brand. More attention around the baseball universe and so on. He's gonna get 10/350m.

Let's have fun and offer Mookie the contract Machado got. Will be fun for a second, he's gonna reject and will go to free agency, damn.
Mookie is as good as gone. Another Ellsbury. If $300 isn’t enough, see ya. There is going to be s correction soon. No way can we see $400 million.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
The problem with Kimbrel is his agent misread the market and gambled he could get a multi year deal.

Kimbrel rejected the Red Sox qualifier of $17.9 M

Yup

Incredible and that agent should be fired

He will be lucky to get that on a 2 year deal

Complete greed

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I think at this point in his career Kimbrel has earned a multi year deal. I mean Addison Reed got a better contract the kimbrel is going to get- I wouldn’t call that greed necessarily

He’s just getting f***ed by the owners attempt to fix the market. Only people greedy here are the owners, they had record breaking revenue come in last year. Why should they make more money on the backs of these players while paying them less than they have in the past?

Reactions: Seidenbergy

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
I think at this point in his career Kimbrel has earned a multi year deal. I mean Addison Reed got a better contract the kimbrel is going to get- I wouldn’t call that greed necessarily

He’s just getting ****ed by the owners attempt to fix the market. Only people greedy here are the owners, they had record breaking revenue come in last year. Why should they make more money on the backs of these players while paying them less than they have in the past?

relief pitchers have the most volatility season to season out of any position.

I can agree with any team not willing to go more than a few years on any reliever. Its too much of a gamble.

The Sox offer of 17.9 would've made him the 4th highest paid reliever in baseball and only 1 of 5 making more than $10m a year.

Pretty good change for a closer that was an adventure this year and trending down.

2.74 ERA
160 ERA+
3.10 K/BB ratio

And a brutal playoff run where he got replaced by a converted starter.

ALDS: 2 games, 11.57 ERA
ALCS: 3 games, 4.50 ERA
WS: 4 games, 4.15 ERA

gave up 7 ER in 10.2 innings, 10 K to 8 BB

Ozamataz Buckshank

Oct 7, 2010
Massachusetts

He’s just getting ****ed by the owners attempt to fix the market. Only people greedy here are the owners, they had record breaking revenue come in last year. Why should they make more money on the backs of these players while paying them less than they have in the past?

He wasn't even that good last year, I completely understand why he isn't signed to a long term deal deal. He's a 30 year old RP who throws 60 innings a year, it's just typically not worth the money for a team to sign him to a contract he is looking for.

However, I can completely understand the frustration of the MLB PA over this situation. Baseball players are cost controlled for a very long time, with most of them not hitting free agency until their early 30's because a lot of them aren't hitting MLB until their mid 20's. They are losing their opportunity for a big pay day because teams are realizing massive contracts typically aren't worth the risk, and they are better off using cost controlled young players. The PA is going to fight back hard, because youngsters play for peanuts with the expectation of making a haul in free agency, and now that is disappearing.

Reactions: CDJ

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
this will affect Portland (also, the EL Office home base)

Eastern League to split season in half beginning in 2019; something you'd see in Class A levels; SO LIKELY A 70 GAME 1st half, THE All Star Game, then the 2nd half of 70 games

Eastern League announced this as of 11 AM;

1ST HALF will end around June 18th, 2nd half begins the following day....

only the top seeds in each Division will qualify, if it becomes the same team in both halves, the best full season record will be the tie-breaker;

the team that wins the 1st half will have home field over the 2nd half winner in the best of 5; the Championship series retains its alternating 2-3 format depending on a given year(West gets the even years; East, the odd)

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I love living in a world where an ERA+ of 160 is an adventure

He wasn’t completely dominant. Still decidedly elite

Even with the sketchy small sample size in the playoffs he didn’t blow anything

Again, last offseason Addison Reed got a bigger contract than Craig will probably get for multiple years. The owners are being greedy and seeing how far they can take it. There will be a lockout imo

I would honestly think about taking half of the year off if I was kimbrel. Rest the arm, chill with the baby who has been through some shit. Sign with a contender close to the deadline

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Relievers are volatile, but Kimbrel has been consistent.

The sticking point for me is less money and more on years. I don't know if I'd go over three years on a reliever.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
I love living in a world where an ERA+ of 160 is an adventure

He wasn’t completely dominant. Still decidedly elite

Even with the sketchy small sample size in the playoffs he didn’t blow anything

Again, last offseason Addison Reed got a bigger contract than Craig will probably get for multiple years. The owners are being greedy and seeing how far they can take it. There will be a lockout imo

I would honestly think about taking half of the year off if I was kimbrel. Rest the arm, chill with the baby who has been through some ****. Sign with a contender close to the deadline

For a closer it is. His career ERA+ is 211 and has years of 399, 311 and 319.

Most closers in their best seasons have an ERA+ above 300

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
For a closer it is. His career ERA+ is 211 and has years of 399, 311 and 319.

Most closers in their best seasons have an ERA+ above 300

160 is quite quite good even for a closer. 300+ is elite elite. He recently has done that.

Kenley Jansen is a really good comp for Kimbrel and he’s not gonna come to that contract. I get that he’s not gonna get 4+ Years but he deserves 3/45 at the very least

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
So sorry to read about the sudden passing of Nick Cafardo of Globe Sports. I always looked forward to reading his Sunday Notes column. Talked to him on a few occasions; a true gentleman and a talented writer. Going to be hard to replace. Rest In Peace.

Edit: didn’t realize there was a thread on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->