Red Sox/MLB 2019 Season Begins - Bogaerts Extended 7Y $132M

Status
Not open for further replies.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
FWIW, Machado is not that kind of impact player. He was on the Orioles for years and they sucked the entire time. He's at best a complimentary player on a good team. If he's your best player, the guy you're building around, your team is not qualifying for the playoffs. Simple as that.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
LOL at the White Sox......signing all of Machado's buddies.....convincing all their fans that they would get Machado.....now they're left empty-handed and apparently stuck with Moncada, who they are not exactly pleased with so far, at 3B.

bruins309

Krejci Fight Club
Sep 17, 2007
FWIW, Machado is not that kind of impact player. He was on the Orioles for years and they sucked the entire time. He's at best a complimentary player on a good team. If he's your best player, the guy you're building around, your team is not qualifying for the playoffs. Simple as that.

The Orioles had the best record of all AL teams from 2012-2016 but sure, I guess they "sucked" since they didn't get to the World Series.

Gotta love Red Sox fans laughing at a big free agent signing and saying they never work out when you got JD Martinez and Manny Ramirez who both got 9 figures from Boston and helped them win 3 World Series.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
The Orioles had the best record of all AL teams from 2012-2016 but sure, I guess they "sucked" since they didn't get to the World Series.

Gotta love Red Sox fans laughing at a big free agent signing and saying they never work out when you got JD Martinez and Manny Ramirez who both got 9 figures from Boston and helped them win 3 World Series.

Funny you mention 2012-2016 for the Orioles. Why? Because their two best years BY FAR were the two years Machado only played in 51 games (2012) and 82 games (2014). LSCII is right. They largely sucked when he was healthy and played the whole season.

Context. It's not for everyone.

(And please provide the quote for the person saying big free agent signings never work out because that looks like a textbook straw man argument to me.)

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

So rather than amalgamating this to suit your purposes, let's go year by year and be more accurate and represent how they were:

2016 - Finished 2nd in AL East, lost wild card play in game
2015 - Finished 3rd in AL East, DNQ for playoffs
2014 - Finished 1st in AL East, lost in ALCS
2013 - Finished 3rd in AL East, DNQ for playoffs
2012 - Finished 2nd in AL East, lost in ALDS

So despite your claim that they were the "best team in the AL" for that span, they won all of 1 playoff series with 2 DNQ's in the mix. That's some real super track record right there. 1 playoff series win in 6 years for the "best team in the AL". If you include 17 and 18, seasons where MM was still there at least partially (as he was moved during the 18 season), you'd have to add 2 more 5th place finishes and 2 more DNQ for playoffs.

So again, I stand by the fact that Machado is not a core type of player, but more a complimentary one on a good team, and in his 7 years of MLB play, he's been on some BRUTALLY bad teams. Even if they did make the playoffs, it's not like they won anything. Hell, the teams he had in Baltimore only one series during his time there.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006

They got rings due to really good players around them. Padres don’t have that. Makes me laugh when teams just don’t understand there is a right time and wrong time to go after free agents of this caliber. In any league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad