News Article: SovSport.ru Interview with Evgeny Medvedev

CSKA1974

Feb 10, 2010
Flyerville
Below are the excerpts from Medvedev's interview to Sovetsky Sport.

http://www.sovsport.ru/gazeta/article-item/889754

The interview took place in the press box during Flyers- Tamp game.
I omitted parts about his involvement with the Russian National team and his opinion on Kovy.

I tried to maintain original interview flow, but it's not possible at times. Additionally, I rushed through translation during my work break, and, perhaps, better editting is warranted.
Enjoy:

SovSport.ru Interview with Evgeny Medvedev

by Nataliya Bragilevskaya

NB: How would you explain you being scratched at times? Is it due to the health issues or coaching decision?
EM: Mostly small injuries. I had to miss a lot of games this season to recuperate. Sometimes, I have been unable to get into a rhythm for a week or two.

NB: Is that because you have not healed completely?
EM: No, I heal well. Sometimes I lack stamina during the games. I try to overcome this during days off by working out. I was told that this is a “first NHL season syndrome”.

NB: It’s mostly attributable to European players
EM: Evidently yes, and I am not an exception.

NB: You have a contract just for one season. Have you started an extension discussion?
EM: I can’t say anything yet about my future in the NHL. I will speak with confidence only after I sign a new contract, I will not talk about it till then.

NB: But you want to stay in the NHL, don’t you?
EM: Of course! Very much so.

NB: You were going to go hunting during an All-Star break.
EM: I did. Literally, just 20 minutes from home. Felt like I just went to a supermarket, honestly.

NB: What did you hunt?
EM: Deer

NB: Was it a success?
EM: Yes

NB: Did you cook it yourself?
EM: Yes. It was delicious.

NB: How has your life in America been thus far?
EM: My family loves it here. Quiet, Calm, Polite. There are no un-pleasantries. My daughter attends a day care, and has been trying to improve my English already. She helps me find words sometimes.

NB: Does your wife speak English?
EM: Yes- she does it better than me. She had had a private tutor for 3 years in Russia. I had not had time for that.

NB: Some of the hockey wives complain that they do not have enough entertainment in the USA and they are bored here.
EM: I disagree. We listened to an opera in NYC. Had a great time there. Of course, we miss our friends and communications, but we do not complain. These little things are easy to overcome. These problems will disappear with language proficiency.

NB: Where are you planning to spend your summer?
EM: We are going to spend a month- month and a half in Russia. Everything is contingent on my future plans. Will I sign my next contract here or with another team, but I really want to stay here.

NB: Why?
EM: I truly like the Flyers, the team. The guys have accepted me and have supported me throughout the season. I realize that my season has not been successful and that’s bothering me a lot. I am very grateful to the coaching staff and the front office for their patience with me, for giving me an opportunity to start my NHL career at the age of 33. I was given all the time I needed for adjustment.

NB: Do you have a 2 way communication with the coach?
EM: Of course, we talk. More and more often without an interpreter. My absence in the starting line-up is only my fault.

NB: Perhaps, you are given more rest?
EM: I am not sure. I had a steep decline in February. I think everyone saw that. I as well as the coach felt a drop in my physical abilities. But, this happens to everyone, and I am climbing out of it. I believe, everything will be well soon.

NB: What were your expectations before departure to the NHL?
EM: I was ready for anything. Even to this. I knew what I was doing. It’s senseless to blame anybody. Trust me, with my experience and at my age I will overcame this. Believe me, I have had worse experiences.

Last edited:

PhillyPhaithful

Feb 6, 2012
Thanks for this. I really do enjoy how he talks about his experience. I wish he could be more consistent because he is excellent when he is on.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Very interesting, thanks.

NB: How would you explain you being scratched at times? Is it due to the health issues or coaching decision?
EM: Mostly small injuries. I had to miss a lot of games this season to recuperate. Sometimes, I have been unable to get into a rhythm for a week or two.

NB: Is that because you have not healed completely?
EM: No, I heal well. Sometimes I lack stamina during the games. I try to overcome this during days off by working out. I was told that this is a “first NHL season syndrome”.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
What a great attitude he has. Nothing entitled...taking all the blame for his ice-time. Now compare that to the Vinny interviews when he was being benched.

Not sure there is a way to keep him unless we traded Streit. Plus, he really is not worth what he is getting paid unfortunately.

Nice to see the human side behind the players. He seems like such a likable guy.

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
I'd pulled for us to sign him since I saw him in the Olympics for the first time. Glad we did, but of course wish he was younger. He still provides a lot of skill and a surprising amount of physical play. I wouldn't mind keeping him for a couple more seasons, and I'm intrigued to see him in the playoffs...to see if he has that extra gear.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Much better than the Bryz translations that is for sure ...even if less colorful. I like his attitude. Not sure the Flyers will keep him but I hope he is able to stay in the NHL..and the US with his family.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
The perfect attitude.

Hopefully he can start improving with more experience here. He obviously has skill and a great attitude, it's the brain farts that need to be cut back on. Could just be him having a tough time in his first season here.

Thanks for translating the interview.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Interesting stuff. I entered this thread expecting comments about how he needs to play more in order to be effective, or something to that effect. Great attitude.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I want to sign him for another year just on the principle that his mindset should be rewarded. **** it.

I'll write it up and send the contract over to him. If citizen's arrests can be a thing I think citizen's signings should be too.

chupanibre

The GhostBear Cometh
Feb 10, 2014
Bologna, ITA
Sweet, thanks for the translation, love hearing it all from a players POV. Gotta be tough with the uncertainty, if not with us I hope he nabs another NHL contract, he seems like a good guy.

If only he would stop spamming our board with that Russian Pronger nonsense though :sarcasm:

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
MacDonald has already contributed as much to the 2nd unit scoring goals as Medvedev has all season.

dingbathero

No Jam? How about PB
Jul 14, 2010
St. John's, NL
I wouldn't mind seeing Striet and MacD gone and Medvedev in....

I love watching him play, sometimes he over complicates his plays but for the most part he does well.

Much better than ManDog and MacD (who have both been terrible - MacD at least blocks shots but jesus he is hard to watch.

Thanks for the translation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad