TV: South Park Season 25

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
Just hope they stay away from the Trump/Garrison stuff this season. It's been beaten to death at the point.

The best episodes are the ones where the kids just do random shit with a pop culture reference or 2 thrown in. I hate when the whole episode is "What's in the news" centric.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Just hope they stay away from the Trump/Garrison stuff this season. It's been beaten to death at the point.

The best episodes are the ones where the kids just do random **** with a pop culture reference or 2 thrown in. I hate when the whole episode is "What's in the news" centric.

That sounds suspiciously like Family Guy.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
That sounds suspiciously like Family Guy.

Yeah, but those episodes are also a lot more cohesive and the character dynamic is a lot funnier. I don't think the recent South Park seasons have been much good but the show's best material is definitely the mindless episodes like Casa Bonita. The virtual reality one from a couple years back was great too.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Yeah, but those episodes are also a lot more cohesive and the character dynamic is a lot funnier. I don't think the recent South Park seasons have been much good but the show's best material is definitely the mindless episodes like Casa Bonita. The virtual reality one from a couple years back was great too.

I guess we look at things a bit differently - Casa Bonita's fine but I think just about everything PC Principal touches is pure gold. One of the best characters they've ever created.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
These 2 shows are about the same. Trying the political beats and all that.

giphy-downsized.gif

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Everyone thinks it's totally liberal and mocking Trump but if you have watched it has mocked both sides. I mean PC Principal and his beatdown was mocking the liberal politically correct tone we live under. South Park totally markets the truthm they just put that funny haha spin on it so the sheep don't actually get it. They have exploited things like elections, events and trends. The walmart episode is life, we bitch about it, hate it but we continue it as we allow other big boxed stores. South Park is sophisticated but most of their audience isn''t sophisticated so they only get Cartman's fart jokes and such.

Reactions: TB12

redbeardtx

Apr 7, 2014
Dallas, TX
Everyone thinks it's totally liberal and mocking Trump but if you have watched it has mocked both sides. I mean PC Principal and his beatdown was mocking the liberal politically correct tone we live under. South Park totally markets the truthm they just put that funny haha spin on it so the sheep don't actually get it. They have exploited things like elections, events and trends. The walmart episode is life, we ***** about it, hate it but we continue it as we allow other big boxed stores. South Park is sophisticated but most of their audience isn''t sophisticated so they only get Cartman's fart jokes and such.
[Citation needed]

likewall32

**putt meem hear**
Feb 6, 2006
Central PA

The best episodes are the ones where the kids just do random **** with a pop culture reference or 2 thrown in. I hate when the whole episode is "What's in the news" centric.
It really depends on what the show wants to be. If it just wants to be a comedy show, then, yes, it should go back to what it was in its first few years: irreverent humor with gags that maybe recur in a few episodes, but for the most part they're half-hour islands.

However, if it wants to continue to be satire, by definition it has to draw from some source material. Personally, I think Trey Parker and Matt Stone are brilliant satirists. Taking current events and issues and often disguising them within the show under different pretenses, allowing the viewer to enjoy the humor on the surface but then also find a deeper, often more hilarious joke when they catch the reference.

Reactions: Warm Cookies

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
[Citation needed]

The first reply in the thread. The best episodes are when the kids are doing stupid random shit with a pop culture or 2 reference thrown in. While i've liked some of those episodes that material isn't endless. We are on season 22 now, they've done the most they can do in that regard. The material for that is not really endless, theres only so much you can do. The "political" spectrum or truth marketing if you will isnt very tapped that they can do this for years. If you go back and watch the first few years the episides weren't that good. The broadcast quality itself was poor but outside of Kenny always dying in episodes not much would happen. They got better when they started using trends in the episodes. Watching PC Principal get put in his place was great TV. I wasn't a fan of making it a season that every episode related, that kind of stuff gets drawn out. I feel the times have caused the complete shift now. They used to do random episodes about nothing and ones where they would focus on a serious subject matter and joke about it. Making the season' shorter and all along the same line with the episodes has hurt the show a bit. I wish like The pimpson's you would see the kids grow by now. They're still like f***ing 9 20 years later.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
It really depends on what the show wants to be. If it just wants to be a comedy show, then, yes, it should go back to what it was in its first few years: irreverent humor with gags that maybe recur in a few episodes, but for the most part they're half-hour islands.

However, if it wants to continue to be satire, by definition it has to draw from some source material. Personally, I think Trey Parker and Matt Stone are brilliant satirists. Taking current events and issues and often disguising them within the show under different pretenses, allowing the viewer to enjoy the humor on the surface but then also find a deeper, often more hilarious joke when they catch the reference.

That's true but then they have episodes where they present a potentially real plot but it's all over shadowed by something dumb. The other night I watched the episode where Cartman exploits 9-11 and tells some interesting info but blames it on Kyle, causes Kyle to go down a rabbit hole, he eventually meets Bush and Bush tells them how it went down. But in and around that you have the focus being who took a shit in the urinal. It's like we might be telling you the truth but we are distracting you with a not so serious shit joke so you forget the other innuendo inbetween.

Sorry

May 18, 2005
Just awful. Matt and Trey don’t write the show anymore. Clear as day.

Going for the first show to ever be cancelled by a hashtag movement?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad