Olympics: South Korea Roster Discussion (Roster in post 1)

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
If South Korea wants me to take their love of hockey seriously, not only are the Kim's a line, but all three of them are wearing Hanson Brother glasses. If you're going to gallows anyway, have fun on your last walk.

Reactions: funky11

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
How did the guys with NA names get South Korean nationality?

I could be wrong, but I believe that Bryan Young was a Korean kid adopted by a Canadian family. He grew up playing hockey. Now he will play for his birth country. He is not the Bryan Young that played for the Milwaukee Admirals.

It reminds me of when Jack Thompson was a back up QB for the Cincinnati Bengals. He was known as the Throwin Samoan. His dad was from the US and his mom was a native from American Samoa. He just didn't have a name like Mosi Tatupu or Kennedy Polamalu.

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
They are playing an exhibition game against Russia in a few hours, in the Anyang Halla rink (where half the Korean team plays). Going to be neat watching guys like Kovalchuk and Datsyuk in an arena with 1000 seats; these guys probably haven't played in such a small place since they were kids.

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
Saw them play the Russians earlier today, and here are some thoughts on them:

The first five minutes they were kind of out of their depth, perhaps a little overwhelmed playing a team like Russia. The game was entirely in the Korean end at that point. However the Koreans woke up and started competing, and it was 2-1 after the first, a rather close game. They continued to hold their own in the second, though gave up a powerplay goal that may have killed their momentum. Dalton, the Korean goalie, did a real good job keeping the Koreans alive, while Shin Sang Woo (19) is easily the best native Korean on the team. He is likely to be their biggest scoring threat outside of the naturalised guys.

The third period is when the difference in skill really showed. The Koreans were just out of it, probably not used to keeping that high of pace for so long. Russia got 4 goals, and really opened it up. They also did two 5 minute overtimes (3v3 and then 4v4), and a shootout, just to show off for the fans, and the Koreans won all three of those, and really excelled during the overtime portions.

If they can maintain their game for 60 minutes, the Koreans should at least be competitive for the Olympics. They are determined, and in a tournament like this anything is possible.

Reactions: Urbanskog
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
What do we think the score would be if we had Canadian NHLers there playing these guys. I'm gonna say it would be 18-0?

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
What do we think the score would be if we had Canadian NHLers there playing these guys. I'm gonna say it would be 18-0?

It would be a blowout, but nothing close to 18-0.

For example Hungary is basically on par with S. Korea. And Canada at the 2016 WC defeated Hungary 7-1 with a team stacked full of NHL talent (including Hall, McDavid, Rielly, Scheifele, Marchand, Perry, Ellis, etc.)

Last edited:
Reactions: mattihp

Uncle Rotter

May 11, 2010
Kelowna, B.C.
It would be a blowout, but nothing close to 18-0.

For example Hungary is basically on par with S. Korea. And Canada at the 2016 WC defeated Hungary 7-1 with a team stacked full of NHL talent (including Hall, McDavid, Rielly, Scheifele, Marchand, Perry, Ellis, etc.)
The Canadian team beat South Korea in December 4-2. However the shots were 56-10.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
South Korea played Canada, Finland, and Sweden in December. The scores were 4-2, 4-1, and 5-1, respectively. While they couldn't upset superior opposition, they did keep up rather well regardless. Even drew first blood in every one of those games. My expectation for the olympics is that while they probably can't pot any wins, there won't be a single game either where they'll be completely roflstomped.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016

not at all. many of these guys have been playing together for 4 years or more (Anyang Halla)
they are probably on par with a good ECHL team.

The Korean womens team has a bunch of north Koreans added at the last minute, and they still are only losing 8-0

I'd guess the Canada team would beat Korea 6-1 or 7-2 or something, but then again remember when they almost lost to Latvia?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad