OT: South Florida Visitors - post travel related questions here

jjyay

Apr 11, 2011
You'll be able to scalp but stubhub should be cheap

I've never used stubhub - is there anyway to avoid paying the $17+ shipping fee? Also, I'll be on the road for the next few weeks, so having the tickets shipped to me might be a problem. Probably best to either buy from a scalper? Or ticketmaster (where I can print them off the computer myself)?

EDIT: I think I answered my own question, I did some more looking around stubhub and found that there is an "electronic delivery" option for some tickets, with a smaller "shipping fee" (which is still ridiculous for an electronic file, but at least it's not $20).

Last edited:

Filip Forceberg

Sep 19, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
I really enjoyed visiting the BAC last night. Very nice arena with a family friendly atmosphere. I thought all of the Panthers/high school hockey memorabilia in the glass cases was a really cool feature. It's something that I'd love to see the Preds organization do at Bridgestone Arena. My only gripe was with your announcer. It felt like play announcements were super late and sometimes just wrong (Timonen was announced as the goal scorer on Matt Read's penalty shot).

Thanks for the hospitality! I imagine I'll be back often if the Preds end up in the Southeast Division next season!

Bag Of Beans

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
I really enjoyed visiting the BAC last night. Very nice arena with a family friendly atmosphere. I thought all of the Panthers/high school hockey memorabilia in the glass cases was a really cool feature. It's something that I'd love to see the Preds organization do at Bridgestone Arena. My only gripe was with your announcer. It felt like play announcements were super late and sometimes just wrong (Timonen was announced as the goal scorer on Matt Read's penalty shot).
:)laugh:).

Thanks for the hospitality! I imagine I'll be back often if the Preds end up in the Southeast Division next season!

:laugh: Actually laughed out loud for a bit after reading that!

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
Hey,

I'm going to Orlando, Florida again this year in March with more money. More money = more shopping :nod: So hoping to find some outlet NASCAR stores. I had asked last year and didn't get too many answers, just about the Cafe they have (does have some stuff but hoping to find a bigger store). I collect alot of Diecast 1/24 cars. Any answers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and good luck the rest of the way, as a Leaf fan my dream first round matchup is against you guys :nod: (2 teams haven't made it in so long, etc)

savebyrichter35

May 22, 2008
Hey guys! Short notice I know, but I'll be flying down to Ft. Lauderdale tomorrow and will be catching the Ranger/Panther game. Gonna be arriving fairly late, so I'm not concerned with what to do pregame. I guess the questions I have are:

1- Does anyone know where to get the away teams autographs after the game? At MSG the away team goes straight to a bus that's inside a tunnel in MSG, but I know other places they walk outside to their bus

2- I'm staying at the vacation village at weston. Really the only day I'll need something to do is Saturday (New Years Eve). There's some place that has mini golf, batting cages, arcades, etc that seemed cool. Reading this thread, it sounds like Fort Lauderdale beach is beautiful. Would anyone have any suggestions for any places to eat and hang out? My gf went to school in Boca and I discovered Miller's Ale House and fell in love with it, and they actually have 2 of them up here on Long Island (actually going there tonight). I figure since I go there all the time I'd try for a different place while we're there, but that's the type of place I'd be looking for. Then at night we wouldn't be looking for anything crazy, maybe a cool place on a beach with a BBQ and fireworks or something. None of us are really club goers, and none of us go out to get hammered, we'll go out and have a beer or 2 and just enjoy ourselves and mingle with other people as we're all really outgoing. Any suggestions for the day/night would be greatly appreciated!

3- We'll also be attending the Jets/Dolphins game. How far is the stadium from Weston? Also, as a Jets season ticket holder who holds a huge tailgate every home game, we decided to not to anything crazy for this game. Instead, we're probably just gonna grab some sandwiches and chips and hang out for a little bit in the parking lot. Does anyone have any suggestions on where we could go for some great big sandwiches, either near my hotel (weston) or around the stadium?

We're going straight to the Heat/Bobcats game after the football game, and then we're going on a 4 night cruise on Monday out of Miami. Any other general information or suggestions anyone thinks I should know of (traffic, parking, food, etc) please let me know! Thanks guys!

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
Hey guys just wanted to know I'm about to go to miami in a few hours I'm in Orlando I'm just wondering us everything gonna be closed today basically?

King Mapes

Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
Hey,

I'm going to Orlando, Florida again this year in March with more money. More money = more shopping :nod: So hoping to find some outlet NASCAR stores. I had asked last year and didn't get too many answers, just about the Cafe they have (does have some stuff but hoping to find a bigger store). I collect alot of Diecast 1/24 cars. Any answers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and good luck the rest of the way, as a Leaf fan my dream first round matchup is against you guys :nod: (2 teams haven't made it in so long, etc)

Anybody know of any stores in general (not just outlet) around the area? :(

FlaPnthrsPunk

Apr 17, 2006
Coral Springs, FL
Anybody know of any stores in general (not just outlet) around the area? :(

If you're talking about Orlando, I live in the suburbs, so I know a good deal about the area. There's malls in basically every part of the metro area.

The Florida Mall is probably the largest and between the airport and attractions area north of the 528 (Beachline) and east of the Florida Turnpike.

The Mall at Millenia, which is probably the nicest mall I've ever been to, is just north of the attractions area is just east of I-4 and south of Conroy Road.

Festival Bay Mall isn't far from The Mall at Millenia and is on International Drive just north of all of the attractions. That mall is really going downhill though as most of the businesses have moved out of there.

West Oaks Mall is in Ocoee. I've never been there, but I believe that it's along Colonial Drive (some people call it State Road 50).

Winter Park is an upscale area and along Park Ave. there is a few blocks of stores and restaurants.

Altamonte Mall in Altamonte Springs is further north just east of I-4 and north of 436 (which is also known as Semoran) in some places.

Going further north closer to where I live is the Seminole Town Center in Sanford. That is just east of I-4 between State Road 46-A (also called H.E. Thomas Parkway) and State Road 46.

In the Northeast part of town in Oviedo is the Oviedo Marketplace which is north of Red Bug Lake Road just west of the 417 (also called the Central Florida Greenway).

Also, just north of the 408 (also known as the East West Expressway) right at the Alafaya Trail exit south of UCF is Waterford Lakes, which is a very large outdoor mall of sorts. Really just an assortment of shopping centers all in one.

Hope that helps :)

King Mapes

Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
Oops sorry my apologies. I ment to put in NASCAR stores. But that is good info as I am doing other shopping, thanks!

thejaf7

Mar 21, 2010
Travelling To Miami Area - Panthers vs Jets (April 3, 2012)

Hello all

I am from Winnipeg Canada, and I will be visiting the Miami area in the first few days in April. My main reason of being in the area is to watch Wrestlemania 28, however it so happens that the Jets will also be in town playing the Panthers. I plan on attending this game, and should be a good divisional game too if both teams remain close.

I have not booked any hotel yet, but any recommendations on what to do (ie shopping/restaurants/clubs/sights) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

5 Hole

Oct 2, 2011
Woodbine, GA
Hello all

I am from Winnipeg Canada, and I will be visiting the Miami area in the first few days in April. My main reason of being in the area is to watch Wrestlemania 28, however it so happens that the Jets will also be in town playing the Panthers. I plan on attending this game, and should be a good divisional game too if both teams remain close.

I have not booked any hotel yet, but any recommendations on what to do (ie shopping/restaurants/clubs/sights) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Take a look here ---> http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=30221167&postcount=2

FlaPnthrsPunk

Apr 17, 2006
Coral Springs, FL
It's the only one. People rate it as perhaps the best I the country. It's actually a travel destination for some unto itself.
It's true. I've been told that I have wealthy relatives from Venezuela that fly into Fort Lauderdale for the day just to shop there. I've also seen tourists on bus tours there with Sawgrass Mills as a stop in their itinerary.

PanthersHockey1

South by Southeast
Mar 11, 2010
Palm Trees
It's the only one. People rate it as perhaps the best I the country. It's actually a travel destination for some unto itself.

Not for long. In West Palm Beach, theyre finally doing something with the abandoned palm beach mall. Plans call for a luxury outlet mall that will be in direct competition with sawgrass.

I think its an excellent move for West Palm and the county in general.

Heres the article.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/money/fashion-outlets-on-their-way-to-neglected-palm-1925674.html

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida
Not for long. In West Palm Beach, theyre finally doing something with the abandoned palm beach mall. Plans call for a luxury outlet mall that will be in direct competition with sawgrass.

I think its an excellent move for West Palm and the county in general.

Heres the article.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/money/fashion-outlets-on-their-way-to-neglected-palm-1925674.html

very cool. Im up there for Court, or right there in those tall office buildings on the blvd, so I know what they are referring to.

thejaf7

Mar 21, 2010

Good to know, as this will be definitely one of my stops in the area. Is there any other "must go to malls" or shopping in the Miami/Miami beach area?

kypredsfan

Smashville Subban
Jan 20, 2011
Mt. Juliet, TN
Ok quick question. I'm coming down in 2 weeks for the Preds game at BAC. My buddy lives in West Palm Beach but that Saturday night, game night, we are staying in the Ft Lauderdale area. Is there any good sports bars in the area? My UK basketball team plays Florida on the Sunday at noon. Our flight isn't until around 6pm so we definitely wanna watch it somewhere fun. Also, are the beaches pretty crazy? It'll be spring break I believe. I'm not there to have a fling, but I'm 29 and never been to Florida during spring break so I would like to have some fun.

30Rinks

Go To A Leafs Game @
Mar 27, 2010
Toronto
www.30rinks.ca
Two quick Q's...

1 - does anyone know if the opposing teams practice is open (day before game day)? What time?
2 - does anyone know what hotel the opposing teams typically stay at? I'm getting conflicting reports of the Double Tree sawgrass mills (which used to be a Marriot I think) and other saying they don't. I'm not trying to stalk them, just would be cool if it was in the same place (we're in the Hyatt)

Rpbpantherfan

May 16, 2011
WPB
I'm unsure on actual day/times but a lot of times visiting teams use saveology iceplex in coral springs for their practices. I've been to open practices there in the past so it is very possible and its a nice practice facility.

http://www.saveologyiceplex.com/
You could try calling the complex to see or maybe check with your teams media folks who usually stick around on practice days.

30Rinks

Go To A Leafs Game @
Mar 27, 2010
Toronto
www.30rinks.ca
I'm unsure on actual day/times but a lot of times visiting teams use saveology iceplex in coral springs for their practices. I've been to open practices there in the past so it is very possible and its a nice practice facility.

http://www.saveologyiceplex.com/
You could try calling the complex to see or maybe check with your teams media folks who usually stick around on practice days.

Thanks! A bit of digging brings this up:

Panthers Practice Schedule

As the official home of our Florida Panthers, Saveology.com Iceplex hosts open practices throughout the NHL season. It is a great opportunity to see your favorite Panthers up close and personal. While passing through town, visiting NHL teams choose Saveology.com Iceplex for their team practices.

All NHL team practices at Saveology.com Iceplex are free and open to the public however practice times are subject to change without notice. It is strongly recommended that you call Saveology.com Iceplex at (954) 341-9956 to confirm practice times.

MARCH 2012
Monday, March 5th – 10:30am-12:30pm
Wednesday, March 7th – 10:00am-11:30am
Saturday, March 10th – 11:30am-1:30pm
Monday, March 12th – 10:30am-12:30pm
Wednesday, March 14th – 10:30am-12:30pm
Friday, March 16th– 10:30am-12:30pm
Monday, March 19th, - 10:00am-11:30am
Thursday, March 22nd – 11:30am-1:30pm
Saturday, March 24th – 10:30am-12:30pm
Monday, March 26th– 10:00am-11:30am

Now if it's worth it to rent a car to get up there... :laugh:

30Rinks

Go To A Leafs Game @
Mar 27, 2010
Toronto
www.30rinks.ca
You need a car to do anything in south florida.

Yeah, looks that way. Bus looks like 1.5 hours from FLL to Sawgrass Mills, and another hour to get 6 miles to Hyatt Bonadventure brutaaaaaal

If anyone is interested, found an $11/day car (before all the taxes, 24 yr/old fees, etc) @ sunshinerentacar.com - for me working out to be about $35, but for older folk would be about $25 per 24 hours.

SportsRacer21

Mar 12, 2007
Columbia, MO
Going to be in town for last game of regular season and was wandering if there were any restaurants in Sawgrass Mills that have NHL Center Ice? Was hoping to watch some (potentially) big Western Conference games after I go to the Panthers game.

I've seen Duffy's has Center Ice but was wondering about restaurants in Sawgrass Mills.

Rats96Yo

Oct 17, 2006
Coral Springs
I doubt there's any in the mall itself. Maybe the old, whatever it is now, GameWorks? Which is in the Oasis, across from the arena. There used to be a sports bar, literally a bar, with TV screens above it in the middle of the "Sports" themed food court, but last I saw, it was gone. All the others in the mall are either family dinner, or mall food court types.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->