OT: South Florida Visitors - post travel related questions here

BLKHKhockey

Aug 28, 2009
Young couple from Chicago here. We are looking to possibly move to the area. We can't take the winters here any longer. Any specific areas to look in to/avoid?

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
Young couple from Chicago here. We are looking to possibly move to the area. We can't take the winters here any longer. Any specific areas to look in to/avoid?

Really just depends on what kind of people you are.

I’d personally avoid most of South Florida, especially if you have kids or are planning on it.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Port St Lucie is the safest city in the State of Florida with a population over 100,00!

One of the few areas in SFL with reasonable house prices too.
Shame the Tradition area keeps on building 55 and older communities when younger families are looking to buy.

@BLKHKhockey what are you looking for? An area to settle down, and start a family? Night life?
Palm Beach County is a huge County but offers a mix of both. Martin County and Port St. Lucie offer tad cheaper housing but not as much stuff to do at night.

PSLguy

#TimeToHunt
Jan 14, 2013
Port St. Lucie, FL
One of the few areas in SFL with reasonable house prices too.
Shame the Tradition area keeps on building 55 and older communities when younger families are looking to buy.

Verano isn't 55+ and just got approved for 7500 homes and Kennedy homes just were approved to build on around 3800 acres in Tradition - near the hospital - and they aren't 55+.

But you correct, not much nightlife other than the movies or restaurants. New brewery opened in St Lucie West near the Met's stadium. Fort Pierce has the Sunrise Theatre and Stuart has the Lyric, so stuff nearby.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Verano isn't 55+ and just got approved for 7500 homes and Kennedy homes just were approved to build on around 3800 acres in Tradition - near the hospital - and they aren't 55+.

But you correct, not much nightlife other than the movies or restaurants. New brewery opened in St Lucie West near the Met's stadium. Fort Pierce has the Sunrise Theatre and Stuart has the Lyric, so stuff nearby.

That's right, forgot about the Kennedy Homes approval. Saw GL Homes building that huge monument sign for their new community south of TownPark.
That Verano parcel is being sold to DR Horton and Ryan Homes. But technically they don't fall into Tradition(which is being sold as well) but yea close enough. Stand corrected

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!
Coming down to watch the game against the Bruins later this week.

Where’s best to grab some food or anything before? We’re staying in Ft Lauderdale. What’s the arena like, good food and merch?

Thanks!

isles309

Nov 1, 2008
Hi all, Islanders fan coming in peace. I am planning to attend the Isles/Panthers game on 4/4. I plan to stay a few days (including Miami) and make a small vacation out of it. I am asking for any recommendations including hotels, restaurants, sightseeing, arena, etc. Also, do you know when individual tickets go on sale. I heard you guys have a really nice arena. Thanks for any info.

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
Hi all, Islanders fan coming in peace. I am planning to attend the Isles/Panthers game on 4/4. I plan to stay a few days (including Miami) and make a small vacation out of it. I am asking for any recommendations including hotels, restaurants, sightseeing, arena, etc. Also, do you know when individual tickets go on sale. I heard you guys have a really nice arena. Thanks for any info.

Depends on what you’re looking for. South Beach/Lincoln Road is the top tourist spot but it’s expensive and overrated imo.

Las Olas is pretty nice. Rocco’s Tacos is amazing.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Park at Sawgrass mall accross the street for free parking. I would just use Stubhub for seats, for a low draw team like the Islanders you'll get in for less using Stubhub than the box office.

Hotel wise-Plantation has a Hyatt and Holiday Inn Express that are decently priced and 15 minutes from the arena.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Anyone got an fishing charters they want to reccomend or warn against?

Also any general do's or don't's.
Coming for a game. Would like to do this as well
if you're going to the Keys, Bud and Mary's (Islamorada?) has a whole dock of charters/fishermen that'll actually help you catch stuff...

Don't stay in inexpensive areas.

ScJeff

Jun 15, 2010
Hey ill be at the game the 18th.
1) Ill be flying into Fort Myers and driving. Is there a route thats more scenic?
2) What beach would you recomend for relaxing mostly a quiet place?
3) Is there a good romantic dinner place, thats not overly fancy to take my girlfriend?
4) Tickets- Its a leaf game. Stubhub, straight from box-office, scalpers what do you recommend?
5) Anyone fly out of fort Myers airport? How early should I show up for return flight. The flight is like 6:30am. I am thinking leave sunrise area around 3am.
6) Anywhere around that sells panthers pro stock gear? Sticks, gloves, etc.
Thanks guys!

patthebat

Sep 2, 2016
Fort Lauderdale
1) Ill be flying into Fort Myers and driving. Is there a route thats more scenic?
3) Is there a good romantic dinner place, thats not overly fancy to take my girlfriend?
4) Tickets- Its a leaf game. Stubhub, straight from box-office, scalpers what do you recommend?
5) Anyone fly out of fort Myers airport? How early should I show up for return flight. The flight is like 6:30am. I am thinking leave sunrise area around 3am.
Thanks guys!
Jeff, this person can help you out with all of your questions, plus she has 2 seats in the lower bowl for sale. Her name is Vicky and her e mail address is [email protected].

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
Thanks guys!

1. Scenic? Out near the BB&T? There are flat swamplands and suburbs. Keep an eye out the passenger side of the car as you head down the expressway. You might see some snakes or other reptiles.
2. I'm a fan of Hollywood Beach if you're in the Broward county area. Nothing fancy, but also a lot less packed with tourists than most places.
3. I don't know what your price range is or where you are staying, so I will decline to answer that without specifics.
4. I usually buy from the box office in advance because parking is included and the only fee is the sales tax. StubHub is probably a good idea, though. Plenty of fans looking to bail out on this trash can team this season.
5. I have never flown out of Fort Myers, but I always recommend being at the airport at least 2 hours before your flight is scheduled to depart. Travel sucks.
6. You can buy stuff at Pantherland right at the BB&T center.

Hope these guys get off their duffs and win one for you. Unless you're a Leafs fan, in which case, uh, well, enjoy the win.

Misfire Puck

May 6, 2010
Finland
Hello all!

Me and my friend are coming to Miami in February and staying there for 6 nights.

We are going to games against Pittsburgh and Tampa. Any tips with the tickets and other stuff regarding the game nights?

Also anything else that we should do during our visit (2 27y old guys from Finland)? We have a rental car so driving isn't a problem.

Thx in advance!

Reactions: ucanthanzalthetruth

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Hello all!

Me and my friend are coming to Miami in February and staying there for 6 nights.

We are going to games against Pittsburgh and Tampa. Any tips with the tickets and other stuff regarding the game nights?

Also anything else that we should do during our visit (2 27y old guys from Finland)? We have a rental car so driving isn't a problem.

Thx in advance!
Buy tickets on stub hub or seat geek, you'll save a fortune. With the way the season is going, you'll get great seats for nothing.

Reactions: Misfire Puck

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Hello all!

Thx in advance!
Stubhub is a legit site. You should find cheap tix there even with the high service charges.

Sawgrass Mills mall is a big mall and 5 min from the arena. Park there and save 20 usd on arena parking. Shop if you want.

Not as much good bbq as Nashville or Carolina, but Tom Jenkins bbq is good southern food and close.

ndal88a

Dec 14, 2017
Hello all!

Thx in advance!
Staying where, in Miami or Miami Beach? Wynwood in Miami is interesting area, lots of bars, microbreweries etc. If staying in Miami Beach, you better leave early for Pittsburgh game (Thursday, I think), lots of traffic. Like somebody else mentioned, go to Sawgrass Mills earlier, park your car there, save $20. Sunday is easier traffic wise. Keys is also worth of driving.

JOL

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Staying where, in Miami or Miami Beach? Wynwood in Miami is interesting area, lots of bars, microbreweries etc. If staying in Miami Beach, you better leave early for Pittsburgh game (Thursday, I think), lots of traffic. Like somebody else mentioned, go to Sawgrass Mills earlier, park your car there, save $20. Sunday is easier traffic wise. Keys is also worth of driving.

JOL
I was just asking what happened to you. If you pm @SoupyFIN or anothet mod you can probably get your old account back.

Misfire Puck

May 6, 2010
Finland
Thx guys for all the answers!

We are staying in Miami Beach.

Boothinator

@MrBoothinator
Sep 19, 2009
Hey guys! I will be in Ft. Lauderdale form 31st of January until the 16th of February!

How does it work with morning skate and practice? Can I get in there and take some photos, get some autographs?? And at which time do they usuallly take part?

Thanks for your help! :)

Reactions: CHGoalie27

patthebat

Sep 2, 2016
Fort Lauderdale
Hey guys! I will be in Ft. Lauderdale form 31st of January until the 16th of February!

How does it work with morning skate and practice? Can I get in there and take some photos, get some autographs?? And at which time do they usuallly take part?

Thanks for your help! :)
Easy answer. Yes to all of your questions, except for February 1st and 2nd. Those game are back to back and the Cats will practice at the BB&T. As for the rest of the month they should practicing at the Ice Den in Coral Springs, 3299 Sportsplex Dr, Coral Springs, FL 33065. on the 4th, 6th, 11th, 13th, possibly the 15th and/or the 16th. You picked a good time to visit. :nod: Call the Ice Den just to make sure that they will be practicing, (954) 341-9956 .

Last edited:
Reactions: Boothinator

JP Mick

Sep 24, 2008
Homestead, FL
Thx guys for all the answers!

We are staying in Miami Beach.
Stay on the beach, it's always interesting and you can rent some bicycles or scooters just to get around. Make your way up and down Collins and just enjoy the beach and the whole scene. I am there as part of my job about once a week and it is always entertaining even though the traffic is terrible and it is overrated as a whole. I would live there if I could but commuting is horrendous. If you enjoy a variety of different people and a close proximity to the beach with all of urban necessities, you can't beat it.

simnorm

Aug 2, 2005
Hi, I'll be staying near BB&T Center next week but I won't have time to catch a game. I heard they sell used pro player gear there, are there official store hours somewhere or is the store only open during games?
thanks!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad