OT: South Florida Visitors - post travel related questions here

PantherFinn

Jan 19, 2017
Hello guys and gals! I’m a long time lurker and finally decided to register since I have something to ask.

As you could guess from my ingenious user name I’m a Panthers fan from Finland. I live in Tampere so I’m of course a huge fan of Sasha #16. (and I guess this new right handed kid from the same town is quite okay too ;) ).

So the thing is that I’m going to a one week vacation to Miami Beach with my girlfriend in the beginning of March. My girlfriend is a Minnesota Wild fan so we were nearly ecstatic to find out that Wild is playing at BB&T Center 10th of March.

Here are a couple of questions that I have:

Should I buy the tickets from TicketMaster service or is there a better way to get some nice seats for good price? Since this is the first NHL game for both of us we are ready to pay at least 60-70$ per seat and even more if you think some seats are definitely worth it.

I actually said it already above but to make it more clear: Which seats or sections would you recommend? We thought about seats in the sections Club 34 or Club 35, are they any good?

Is there something special to consider when going to game with own (rented) car?

I would be very thankful if you could answer to some of these questions and if you have some other pro-tips outside these questions I would be more than happy to hear them too.

Lastly I want to apologize my laziness since some of these questions are probably answered earlier in this or the ticket thread but I hope you can forgive a shy first time poster. :)

PSLguy

#TimeToHunt
Jan 14, 2013
Port St. Lucie, FL
Pantherfinn, Club 6 to Club 13 is called the Corona Beach Club. It includes food, drinks (beer/wine + soft drinks,etc). It is on the side where the visiting team shoots twice.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
As mentioned, StubHub is cheaper than TM. Sawgrass Mills mall is across the street, get there early and shop around, or if you're not a fan of that, park your car there and walk to the arena. It's 5 minutes away and free parking is always nice.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
Hey guys --- Two questions:

1. Hockey bars in the Hollywood/Ft Lauderdale area where I can catch games? Primarily an Isles fan, but a hockey bar in general would be great.

2. Live Music (not cover bands) in same area. Blues/Jazz/Funk etc.. all good..

Tx!!

The Crimson King

Jan 29, 2017
Useful Thread !

Just signed up here specifically to ask a few questions on this very informative thread. I am taking a trip to FLA in March and was thrilled to see that the Panthers are home and tix are very available, so I picked up a single for 3/7 from the team website.

1. My seat is in the first row of the upper deck. Are these seats obstructed by railings or other structures?

2. Although I am no longer a NY Rangers fan, they are the opponent on the date I am showing up. Since I will have my own car it will have NY plates. There are many places where you have to be concerned about vandalism and damage if you have plates that make you look like you are a fan of the visitors (Philly is the worst). Do I have to be concerned about that here?

3. Very cool that there is a mall right there. If I park there for dinner, will it be too late after the game for a single non-imposing individual to be safe walking to the lot? Will the car be safe there that late? Conversely, how early can you park in the arena lot so I can walk over there before the game? This is important as the earlier I can get to the arena, the less time I will have to spend with the in-laws :)

Thanks in advance. I'll try to read the rest of this thread before I ask questions that have already been answered (like ... rats!?!?)

The Crimson King

Jan 29, 2017
Hey guys --- Two questions:

1. Hockey bars in the Hollywood/Ft Lauderdale area where I can catch games? Primarily an Isles fan, but a hockey bar in general would be great.

2. Live Music (not cover bands) in same area. Blues/Jazz/Funk etc.. all good..

Tx!!

A late friend I used to play with moved to South Florida and got gigs at this place:
http://allthatjazzcafe.com/

He complained that it is mostly museum jazz (as opposed to fusion, electric or experimental) but he is a musical snob that way so if you like the traditional stuff, this is an increasingly rare place to see any live jazz these days as we spiral into the abyss of musical de-evolution

He said that it is a pretty good restaurant too, but does not have live music every night, so check ahead of time.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
A late friend I used to play with moved to South Florida and got gigs at this place:
http://allthatjazzcafe.com/

He complained that it is mostly museum jazz (as opposed to fusion, electric or experimental) but he is a musical snob that way so if you like the traditional stuff, this is an increasingly rare place to see any live jazz these days as we spiral into the abyss of musical de-evolution

He said that it is a pretty good restaurant too, but does not have live music every night, so check ahead of time.

Excellent -- thanks!

Also -- thought of one other question-

Beach volleyball locations in hollywood/ft lauderdale? Is it only weekends? Or during week also?

Would like to jump into a game or two!

FlaPnthrsPunk

Apr 17, 2006
Coral Springs, FL
Just signed up here specifically to ask a few questions on this very informative thread. I am taking a trip to FLA in March and was thrilled to see that the Panthers are home and tix are very available, so I picked up a single for 3/7 from the team website.

1. My seat is in the first row of the upper deck. Are these seats obstructed by railings or other structures?

2. Although I am no longer a NY Rangers fan, they are the opponent on the date I am showing up. Since I will have my own car it will have NY plates. There are many places where you have to be concerned about vandalism and damage if you have plates that make you look like you are a fan of the visitors (Philly is the worst). Do I have to be concerned about that here?

3. Very cool that there is a mall right there. If I park there for dinner, will it be too late after the game for a single non-imposing individual to be safe walking to the lot? Will the car be safe there that late? Conversely, how early can you park in the arena lot so I can walk over there before the game? This is important as the earlier I can get to the arena, the less time I will have to spend with the in-laws :)

Thanks in advance. I'll try to read the rest of this thread before I ask questions that have already been answered (like ... rats!?!?)

1. There might be a railing just below your sightline to view the rink, but not in your face. I doubt it would cause an issue. My seats are in Row 2 and the people in front of me seem fine with their view and don't have to lean over the railing.

2. Not at all. There are many snowbirds down here during the season and expect about 30-35% of the crowds to be Rangers fans unfortunately for Panthers fans sake. Panthers fans overall are very friendly, helpful. and we somehow deal rather patiently with any obnoxious opposing fans.

3. You don't have to worry about your car parked at Sawgrass Mills at all. Tons of people walk from the mall to the arena since they don't want to pay the $20 parking fee. Also, the section in the mall across from the arena is called The Oasis. It has a movie theater and a good number of restaurants and shops open late. The arena parking lot I believe opens an hour a half before game time with the arena opening an hour before.

Enjoy your trip down here!

superyan

Aug 13, 2013
I went back a few sections to read about the food options at BB&T Center. Other than the crab fries, what do you guys suggest?

I have seats in 116... Am I allowed to go to the Club Level to buy food, or is that restricted?

Are there any festivities around the arena leading up to game time, or do people just go inside before puck drop?

We are getting in around noon the day of the game and are trying to find a way to spend some time other than going to the mall. Any suggestions welcome. We are staying about a 10 minute walk form the arena.

Bure1096

Mar 6, 2007
Florida
Hello guys and gals! I’m a long time lurker and finally decided to register since I have something to ask.

As you could guess from my ingenious user name I’m a Panthers fan from Finland. I live in Tampere so I’m of course a huge fan of Sasha #16. (and I guess this new right handed kid from the same town is quite okay too ;) ).

So the thing is that I’m going to a one week vacation to Miami Beach with my girlfriend in the beginning of March. My girlfriend is a Minnesota Wild fan so we were nearly ecstatic to find out that Wild is playing at BB&T Center 10th of March.

Here are a couple of questions that I have:

Should I buy the tickets from TicketMaster service or is there a better way to get some nice seats for good price? Since this is the first NHL game for both of us we are ready to pay at least 60-70$ per seat and even more if you think some seats are definitely worth it.

I actually said it already above but to make it more clear: Which seats or sections would you recommend? We thought about seats in the sections Club 34 or Club 35, are they any good?

Is there something special to consider when going to game with own (rented) car?

I would be very thankful if you could answer to some of these questions and if you have some other pro-tips outside these questions I would be more than happy to hear them too.

Lastly I want to apologize my laziness since some of these questions are probably answered earlier in this or the ticket thread but I hope you can forgive a shy first time poster. :)

Hey there PantherFinn, please PM me, I am a season ticket holder and my seats are available + parking!

oOwlCat

FL > TN
Jun 24, 2010
Nashville, TN
I went back a few sections to read about the food options at BB&T Center. Other than the crab fries, what do you guys suggest?

I have seats in 116... Am I allowed to go to the Club Level to buy food, or is that restricted?

Are there any festivities around the arena leading up to game time, or do people just go inside before puck drop?

We are getting in around noon the day of the game and are trying to find a way to spend some time other than going to the mall. Any suggestions welcome. We are staying about a 10 minute walk form the arena.

Hey!

At 116 you will be right at the "Den of Honor" (Panthers hall of fame) Worth taking a look at. For food options you will be limited to the concourse food. My personal favorite is the panthers pasta stand.

Really depends on what you like to do to kill time.. Mall is there as you know, could go on an airboat tour of the everglades, las olas blvd has nice places to eat, and of course theres the beach.

superyan

Aug 13, 2013
Hey!

At 116 you will be right at the "Den of Honor" (Panthers hall of fame) Worth taking a look at. For food options you will be limited to the concourse food. My personal favorite is the panthers pasta stand.

Really depends on what you like to do to kill time.. Mall is there as you know, could go on an airboat tour of the everglades, las olas blvd has nice places to eat, and of course theres the beach.

Thanks for getting back to me.

Is there anything going on outside the area like music, etc? We don't have a lot of time there and are really trying to maximize it.

The Crimson King

Jan 29, 2017
Everglades National Park

Just throwing in my $0.02 here:

I'm surprised no locals brought this up but there is a very unique experience not too far away ... the Florida Everglades

Music, food, beaches you can get many places but for those of you from afar, there is a great National Park about one hour south of Miami ... Everglades NP. You can see reptiles and waterfowl up close and personal. I guarantee some amazing photos and an experience you can get no where else. The local town to stay in is Homestead if a one hour drive puts you off.

Here's the National Park Service site:
https://www.nps.gov/ever/index.htm

The USA is an amazing collection of scenery. Much of it is in our National Park System. Any visitor, especially those of you from other countries should always look for NPS facilities when planning your visits. The variety and uniqueness of each make them priceless experiences.

Thought this might help someone.

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
Just throwing in my $0.02 here:

I'm surprised no locals brought this up but there is a very unique experience not too far away ... the Florida Everglades

Music, food, beaches you can get many places but for those of you from afar, there is a great National Park about one hour south of Miami ... Everglades NP. You can see reptiles and waterfowl up close and personal. I guarantee some amazing photos and an experience you can get no where else. The local town to stay in is Homestead if a one hour drive puts you off.

Here's the National Park Service site:
https://www.nps.gov/ever/index.htm

The USA is an amazing collection of scenery. Much of it is in our National Park System. Any visitor, especially those of you from other countries should always look for NPS facilities when planning your visits. The variety and uniqueness of each make them priceless experiences.

Thought this might help someone.

Personally, I've never been to Everglades National Park but you can get a good Everglades experience at Holiday Park too which is only 20 minutes from the BB&T Center.

Briscodog

May 2, 2016
Winnipeg Jet in Florida

Yo. Heading to FLA in December to catch the Jets play. Need suggestions for a hotel close to the arena in Sunrise. We're spending the week in Orlando but driving down to Sunrise for one night only and need a cheap hotel. Any help would be appreciated. Thx.

Based Anime Fan

Himedanshi Bandit
Mar 11, 2012
Tokai
How annoying is the traffic on the Sunpass Toll Road on Saturday nights? I'll be flying in on the 4th for a cruise on the 5th, but am aiming to catch the Rangers/Panthers game that night.

PBPantherfan

Feb 7, 2010
Lake Worth, FL
How annoying is the traffic on the Sunpass Toll Road on Saturday nights? I'll be flying in on the 4th for a cruise on the 5th, but am aiming to catch the Rangers/Panthers game that night.

Which airport are you flying into? There is the sawgrass expressway is a toll road sunpass is just the electronic transponder that you can use to go through the high speed tolls or sunpass lanes. If you're flying into Fort Lauderdale you should be able to take 595 most of the way to the stadium and it shouldn't be too bad 30mins max after you get out of the airport traffic.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
My cruise is returning to Fort Lauderdale on December 1st.

Any recommendations for what hotel area to stay in that night? I'm not planning on renting a car but would like to go to the Sharks vs. Panthers game that night. Any recommendations on getting to & from the arena without a car?

Thanks

AmeriHab

Aug 3, 2012
NY
Good morning HFboards Fam,

Celebrating my bachelor party in West Palm/Jupiter, any suggestions at all are welcome. Can be as wild or relaxed suggestions. Thanks!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad