OT: South Florida Visitors - post travel related questions here

claude boivin lives

flat out spectacular
Jan 10, 2008
Best food on the Bank Atlantic Center concourse?

Hey Panthers fans, I just flew in from Philly for tonight's game and was hoping to get some opinions on what is the tastiest food available on the concourse. Any good local specialties or anything like that?

Jan 19, 2006
Hey Panthers fans, I just flew in from Philly for tonight's game and was hoping to get some opinions on what is the tastiest food available on the concourse. Any good local specialties or anything like that?

They used to have a good Cuban sandwich... but for reasons I can't begin to understand it was replaced by a mediocre stir fry. There is a new bagel place that seems to be drawing a crowd, but I can't say I've tried their sandwiches yet. In short, I don't think there are any overwhelmingly strong choices for cuisine there.

Ironically, I usually eat the Philly cheese steak. :laugh: Coming from Philly, that's probably like recommending Taco Bell to a Mexican.

Haj

#CatsAreComing
Apr 6, 2003
Arlington, VA
There are a bunch of good restaurants in the area nearby the arena, you could go to a place like Pizza Time in Coral Springs, then make the 20 minute drive to the BAC.

Pizza Time

Big City Dogs

Near the Arena I'd have to say Bahama Breeze is pretty decent. Sharpies has pretty good subs.

Here is a link to the directory with restaurants within the mall itself:

Sawgrass Mills Directory

claude boivin lives

flat out spectacular
Jan 10, 2008
@ treefrog - Lol @ the cheesesteak comment and thanks a lot for the response. That's ashame about the Cuban sandwich...that's exactly the type of thing I had in mind too. I'll have to check out the bagel place. And sorry for posting this in the wrong place, I suck at navigating on my phone.

@ haj - thanks a lot for the info!

Jan 19, 2006
Lol @ the cheesesteak comment and thanks a lot for the response. That's ashame about the Cuban sandwich...that's exactly the type of thing I had in mind too. I'll have to check out the bagel place. And sorry for posting this in the wrong place, I suck at navigating on my phone.

No problem dude. I just moved it here so that others who come through can find it later.

Enjoy the game. :)

Dead

Mar 7, 2010
AoW Land
Before the game on 2/27 I am hitting up "The Knife", which is an all you can eat till you die rodizio place. I do not know exactly where it is but my wife who lived in Hollywood Beach knows :) :devdance::devdance:

Sandmachine

Sep 26, 2006
Boston
Thanks for all the info. Very helpful stuff.

I'll be in Miami Beach from Feb 26th to March 6th. Royal Palm Hotel. Read a wide variety of reviews, good and bad. The location can't be beat, I guess.

Anyways, I'm hoping to go to a Panther game (I might be one of the biggest Wideman fans in the country). Stub Hub says tickets are as cheap as 4$. I think that's within my price-range.

Based on what people have written so far, it seems the best bet is to rent a car and drive from Miami to the game. If you don't mind me asking, are there certain traffic patterns I should be aware of on certain roads? As in, route 95 and 93 around Boston during rush-hour is horrendous. Is there something similar I should watch out for?

Also, what are your opinions about the train that goes from Miami to Fort Lauderdale? Is it safe? If it was just me, I wouldn't really care too much, but I'll be bringing my little Asian girlfriend, so I don't want to put her in a dangerous spot.

Thanks in advance!

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Thanks for all the info. Very helpful stuff.

I'll be in Miami Beach from Feb 26th to March 6th. Royal Palm Hotel. Read a wide variety of reviews, good and bad. The location can't be beat, I guess.

Anyways, I'm hoping to go to a Panther game (I might be one of the biggest Wideman fans in the country). Stub Hub says tickets are as cheap as 4$. I think that's within my price-range.

Based on what people have written so far, it seems the best bet is to rent a car and drive from Miami to the game. If you don't mind me asking, are there certain traffic patterns I should be aware of on certain roads? As in, route 95 and 93 around Boston during rush-hour is horrendous. Is there something similar I should watch out for?

Also, what are your opinions about the train that goes from Miami to Fort Lauderdale? Is it safe? If it was just me, I wouldn't really care too much, but I'll be bringing my little Asian girlfriend, so I don't want to put her in a dangerous spot.

Thanks in advance!

Typical rush hour times can be horrendous down in Miami. If you can, I would leave mid afternoon, waste some time at Sawgrass then drive over to the arena. Rent a car, well worth it. The public transportation down here is terrible.

Sandmachine

Sep 26, 2006
Boston
Typical rush hour times can be horrendous down in Miami. If you can, I would leave mid afternoon, waste some time at Sawgrass then drive over to the arena. Rent a car, well worth it. The public transportation down here is terrible.

Appreciate it! I was thinking maybe drive up to Ft. Lauderdale in the afternoon and try a beach there, then head over to the game later in the evening. Would there be a similar traffic nightmare getting from Ft. Lauderdale coast to the arena around 6pm?

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Appreciate it! I was thinking maybe drive up to Ft. Lauderdale in the afternoon and try a beach there, then head over to the game later in the evening. Would there be a similar traffic nightmare getting from Ft. Lauderdale coast to the arena around 6pm?

If you go to ft. laud beach you can take Sunrise straight across to the BAC. Traffic can get backed up on Sunrise but if you're leaving around 630 you should be ok.

Sandmachine

Sep 26, 2006
Boston
If you go to ft. laud beach you can take Sunrise straight across to the BAC. Traffic can get backed up on Sunrise but if you're leaving around 630 you should be ok.

Thanks a lot. If you're ever in Boston and need similar advice, feel free to shoot me a message.

Go Dennis!:yo:

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida
Before the game on 2/27 I am hitting up "The Knife", which is an all you can eat till you die rodizio place. I do not know exactly where it is but my wife who lived in Hollywood Beach knows :) :devdance::devdance:

I love the knife. I bring the family there alot, good value for pay one price. You get up and get what you want not annoyed at the table as in brilian. food alway s good, includes bev and dessert. ASK FOR A FILET MIGNON, NOT ON MENU BUT THEYLL MAKE YOU ONE N/C JUST BY ASKING!!!

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club
I love the knife. I bring the family there alot, good value for pay one price. You get up and get what you want not annoyed at the table as in brilian. food alway s good, includes bev and dessert. ASK FOR A FILET MIGNON, NOT ON MENU BUT THEYLL MAKE YOU ONE N/C JUST BY ASKING!!!

that is why you are given a chip which depending on what side you have it on means if you are going to be "annoyed at the table" or not, as opposed to having to get up and making a line like at the school cafeteria waiting for the dude to make what you are asking for...not to mention the quality of the food is not even on par...well like they say you get what you pay for, there is no coincidence in the price difference, 50 as opposed to 30 per person...so yeah if money is an issue, def. the Knife, but there's no way you can compare the 2

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida
that is why you are given a chip which depending on what side you have it on means if you are going to be "annoyed at the table" or not, as opposed to having to get up and making a line like at the school cafeteria waiting for the dude to make what you are asking for...not to mention the quality of the food is not even on par...well like they say you get what you pay for, there is no coincidence in the price difference, 50 as opposed to 30 per person...so yeah if money is an issue, def. the Knife, but there's no way you can compare the 2

I agree with you. And i have been to the Texas de Brazil on Alton and i understand the coin thing well (plus the one around the corner from the arena, plus theres a great one in tampa near the yankee facility). I think the knife is plenty good, although as you say not quite as good as you mention. The line is never more then a couple in my experience, and i dont mind stretching and getting up.

We are on the same page.

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club
I agree with you. And i have been to the Texas de Brazil on Alton and i understand the coin thing well (plus the one around the corner from the arena, plus theres a great one in tampa near the yankee facility). I think the knife is plenty good, although as you say not quite as good as you mention. The line is never more then a couple in my experience, and i dont mind stretching and getting up.

We are on the same page.

cool, I've only been to the TdB on Dolphin Mall, and the Knife @ Coco Walk, so maybe that's why, that place was busy as hell and I didn't enjoy it as much...

btw, there's supposed to be a good Brazilian churrasqueria called Fogao de Chao in Sobe, never been to. The best place for meat is supposed to be Prime 112 but that's ridiculously expensive...I've been to Smith & Wollensky, and it's pretty expensive but I had an amazing experience, probably the best meat place I've ever been to, it would just melt in your mouth, superb service. Actually, if you like The Knife, and Argentinian steak house is your thing, you should try "Rincon Argentino", by Miracle Mile in Coral Gables, best Argentinian place in town, and trust me I have Argentinian family, and reasonable pricing about the same as the Knife.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
Hey guys, I am visiting Miami in a few weeks (May 31), I was wondering if anyone can give me some advice on stuff to do besides the obvious (miami beach). I am going with my friend and we are both 20 years old, is there any bars or nightclubs we will be able to get into? Any good place to eat that wont break the bank? Anything else that I should really do? Planning on visiting the U, if I like it enough I will be living down there in a year.

Thanks for the advice.

Sep 19, 2008
Hmm, I didn't do anything other than go to the Beach. Depending on how long you stay, you can always head south to the Keys down US-1. That's where I went. Pretty decent time down in Key West.

Laus723

Paradise hockey
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
Hmm, I didn't do anything other than go to the Beach. Depending on how long you stay, you can always head south to the Keys down US-1. That's where I went. Pretty decent time down in Key West.

There's a lot more to do than just hit the beach or Key West, though. Both great spots, love the keys, but there's a lot to do.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
There's a lot more to do than just hit the beach or Key West, though. Both great spots, love the keys, but there's a lot to do.

What are some of the best things to do down in Miami? I am visiting the U one day, and besides that most of my plans are to just chill at the beach. I don't have a car so I am going to have to take a cab everywhere.

Rpbpantherfan

May 16, 2011
WPB
I live in palm beach not Miami but have been there plenty. The zoo and sea aquarium are fun but for college age you probably want the club scene. Here's a list of attractions on the Miami website

http://www.amazingmiamiattractions.com/index.html

Night life is jumping but I'm not sure on what clubs have age limits and what not. This article says all clubs are 21+ on south beach but gives alt suggestion.

http://www.southbeach-usa.com/featu.../college-students-guide-south-beach-99003.htm

This site has lot of the venues and I searched under 21 and I found this for miami

http://www.cooljunkie.com/Venues/VenueSearchResults.aspx?Category=Club

bester vaive

Fear the Titan!
Nov 8, 2010
Good afternoon. I'll be in visiting the east coast of Florida in July (Vero Beach, St. Lucie, and Jupiter areas.) Does anyone know of a "sure-fire" place to get Panther shirts and/or hats? Especially red in color. Thanks in advance. :)

Rpbpantherfan

May 16, 2011
WPB
Good afternoon. I'll be in visiting the east coast of Florida in July (Vero Beach, St. Lucie, and Jupiter areas.) Does anyone know of a "sure-fire" place to get Panther shirts and/or hats? Especially red in color. Thanks in advance. :)

I'm south of there in Palm beach county so I'm not definite about that area but I tend to go to sports fanatics in the local mall. I'm not sure If they have one in the mall in that area. They tend to have decent stuff but mostly blue stuff.

The other stores are Sports Authority and Dicks Sporting goods but they tend to only have stuff during season and restock the next year.

Hopefully with the New See Red campaign there will be some new stuff in red out earlier.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad