OT: South Florida Visitors - post travel related questions here

jeanlucgrandpierre

Buffalo Sabres Fan
Aug 4, 2008
Baltimore
Hello, I come in peace. I'm going to be on vacation next week and decided I'd like to come visit your fine establishment and enjoy some hockey. I've been told there isn't much around the BankAtlantic Center. Is that true? Any recs on places to eat or anything? It will be a Wednesday night(Panthers/Blue Jackets) and I'll have some younger brothers with me so the nightlife will probably not be in the plans.

Thanks for any suggestions.

handbanana

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Mar 18, 2008
Well, the Sawgrass Mills mall is literally across the street from the BAC. It's a big outlet mall which has some restaurants, a movie theater, etc. There's a Cheesecake Factory in the outdoor section of the mall itself, and several other places right on that drive you take to go around it (Bahama Breeze, some fast food places, Moe's, and more). Avoid the sushi restaurant that's near there because the stuff I had was just not very good. I can't think of anything club-like right nearby, but it's not an empty area by any means.

What I do is go to the mall before the game and then to a restaurant after. You usually see people in jerseys at the mall, especially the away fans because I guess they come to see what's in the area too. If you can't sit though the game without food and are on a budget, grab something before you go in because the food at the BAC is kind of ridiculously priced. For fast food, I'd rec Pollo Tropical because it's something you guys don't have up in Baltimore. Or try Popeye's inside the mall for the Southern chicken, rice & beans, biscuits, etc. For a real restaurant, I really like Bahama Breeze but I haven't been to the Sunrise location.

floridada

Jan 31, 2009
Florida
Since you're taking your little brothers you can do some airboat rides in the Everglades. It's pretty cool and most kids love it.

PanthersAllDay1225

MORDE-KULI
May 20, 2010
There is also a Gameworks in the outside area of the mall. But I think you have to be 18 after 10 P.M. unless you have an adult over 21.

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida
The sawgrass is an excellent suggestion and people fly from all over to spend the day there. Of course our beach is beautiful on las oslas and the airboat ride is another awesome experience!
If your eating at the arena the food is a lttle price but my opinion is rhe food at what was called Stanleys on the club level is reliably good. Even if u don't dot up there if u ask nicely they will let you up to eat there pregame and it's open air to the rink view.
Enjoy I'm very proud of the arena I think it's awesome.

Fairy Price

Apr 5, 2009
Fort Lauderdale
Like everybody has said, definitly go to Sawgrass Mills Mall. Its freakin ridiculously huge and you will be there for hours and lose track of time. Go to Fort Lauderdale Beach (half hour away), its absolutely beautiful and IMO one of the best beaches in Florida. There are tons of places and bars to hang out at on the strip at the beach and check out Las Olas too. If you follow Las Olas to downtown Lauderdale there are a bunch of bars and clubs. Dont bother going to Miami its dangerous and over-rated and the only nice part of Miami is the strip Ocean Drive and Collins and the rest is a waste of time. And whoever said there is nothing to do around the arena is wrong, I live in the neighboring town Weston and go into Sunrise daily to run all my errands and eat.

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida
Like everybody has said, definitly go to Sawgrass Mills Mall. Its freakin ridiculously huge and you will be there for hours and lose track of time. Go to Fort Lauderdale Beach (half hour away), its absolutely beautiful and IMO one of the best beaches in Florida. There are tons of places and bars to hang out at on the strip at the beach and check out Las Olas too. If you follow Las Olas to downtown Lauderdale there are a bunch of bars and clubs. Dont bother going to Miami its dangerous and over-rated and the only nice part of Miami is the strip Ocean Drive and Collins and the rest is a waste of time. And whoever said there is nothing to do around the arena is wrong, I live in the neighboring town Weston and go into Sunrise daily to run all my errands and eat.
And even in our town of Weston are decent sports bar food options like Carolina ale house wings plus etc although sawgrass has many options.
Ya nothing to do around arena is a hysterical comment.

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club

you're confusing Miami with Miami Beach, different cities...indeed proper Miami it's pretty crappy (unless you visit Bayside), but the city of Coral Gables is beautiful, and Miracle Mile is even safer and better place to hang out than Ocean or Collins (although of course not as lively), there's also the Biltmore Hotel and Venetian Pool great places...

also in Coconut Grove there is Coco Walk although there are some rough areas close by, but by the same token some amazing areas like where the Planetarium and Vizcaya are located are beautiful places to visit.

hockeypaddan

Mar 18, 2008
Bank Atlantic Center from Miami Downotown/South Beach

Hi guys! We are two Swedish hockey fans that has travelled to Miami to catch two Panthers games, tuesday vs Blues and thursday vs the Sabres.

Upon arriving to Miami we realised that there was quite some distance to travel out to the arena from south beach were we are staying and taxis are basicly not an option for two students with a limited budget like us.

Therefore we were thinking that we could car pool with someone going to the game? Of course we will pay you for your troubles and I can guarantee you that there will be little since we're both very nice guys. :nod:

Please respond to this thred or email me as soon as possible if you can help us out in any way, even info about how to get there on our own will be greatly appreaciated!

Regards
Viktor and Niklas

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
Going to Florida..

I'm going to Florida (more specifically Orlando) from the 9th-16th. I'm not familliar with anything there, as I haven't been there in 11 years when I was 12. I was hoping to find some sports stores out there and figured this would be a good spot to ask.

Any good NASCAR stores down there? I also was hoping to find a little Blue Jays hat for my little one (he's only 9 months old) and was wondering if there is any good sports stores that has stuff for infants?

Thanks.

Jan 19, 2006
Visiting South Florida and have questions for Panthers fans? Please post here rather than starting a new thread.

Some of the same questions seem to be asked repeatedly, so I thought it would be helpful for those coming by with questions to have access to previous responses.

jol

Jan 31, 2003
Miami Beach, Florida
Visit site
Hi guys! We are two Swedish hockey fans that has travelled to Miami to catch two Panthers games, tuesday vs Blues and thursday vs the Sabres.

Upon arriving to Miami we realised that there was quite some distance to travel out to the arena from south beach were we are staying and taxis are basicly not an option for two students with a limited budget like us.
You could take bus to games (S bus from South Beach to Aventura mall, bus 1 from Aventura Mall to Broward Central Terminal, bus 22 from Broward Central to Sawgrass Mills shopping), you have all day to go there but coming back is more tricky, taxi costs probably about $100, one-way. Also Sawgrass Mills shopping center has charter buses, taking customers from Miami/Miami Beach to Sawgrass Mills (Arena is walking distance away from Sawgrass Mills).

Check schedules:
http://www.broward.org/BCT/MapsAndSchedules/Pages/MapsAndSchedules.aspx

JOL

mattberman

Jun 11, 2010
Do they charge for parking at the BAC? If so, how much? I've come to realize that I can get decent tickets for the 3/19 game for about $20 a pair. :)

the watcher

Feb 7, 2006
Montreal
Hey guys,

i was wondering how parking works during panthers games? how much is it at the center or is there places nearby with cheap parking?
thanks

HiggsBroson

Feb 2, 2010
St Patricks Day

Hey

I just booked my flights and am going down to visit brother week of st pattys day. He lives in boca raton and well besides seeing my brother my main concern is good irish pubs/bars for the best holiday of the year.

Any good spots to seek out?

thanks

Ekblad

Mar 10, 2010
Miami, Florida
Hey

I just booked my flights and am going down to visit brother week of st pattys day. He lives in boca raton and well besides seeing my brother my main concern is good irish pubs/bars for the best holiday of the year.

Any good spots to seek out?

thanks

post in the sticky thread.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad