"Sources say Kings will open 2007-08 in London, England"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juni

Mar 24, 2004
London, England
www.thechels.net
ESPN piece from EJ Hradek

The NFL isn't the only North American pro sports league that will play a regular-season game in London during the 2007-08 season. The buzz around the rinks is the NHL is preparing to do the same.

According to multiple sources, the Los Angeles Kings will open next season with a pair of games at The O2 in London. The O2 is a state-of-the-art arena scheduled to open with a series of Justin Timberlake concerts in early July. It is operated by Anschutz Entertainment Group (AEG), which also owns the Kings.

entire article here

From a personal PoV of course this would be amazing, the NHL coming to where I live. Not entirely sure on the NHL's popularity in the UK, I know the NFL gets about 500,000 viewers for the Sunday night double header we get on a far more accessible channel (it's on Sky Sports, which is a channel subscription package on satellite or cable. To get NHL coverage you need to pay £15 a month more on another channel), and the NFL has also had 500,000 ticket applications for their game here next season. I'll see if I can find any stats for NHL coverage.

virtuefan1

Nov 13, 2005
Auburn, MA
I am happy for the people of England who love hockey and the NHL. But from a NHL stand point this is stupid. They are having trouble marketing the game in the US nevermind taking it abroad. Bettman is trying to copy the NBA and the NFL and bring the NHL everywhere. The only difference is the NBA and NFL are established the in US and the NHL is not. Bad move

puck57

Dec 21, 2004
If they want games in Europe, why not exibition or preseason games instead of regular season games that count in the standings. Look what happened with baseball when they opened in Japan- the teams that played over there struggled when they came back to the states for a number of games until they got reacclamated again. The same thing will probably happen in this case- and consider it is a significant distance from California to London- whereas if they had the Rangers and Boston to play for example there would not be quite the distance and time difference as with the far west teams. With football you have the week between games- but with hockey you would not have the number of days to rest when you come back from overseas. Also, I think if they were to have a few games over there- no offense to London, but why not Sweden or Finland or even the Czech Republic which have a more establised hockey fan base to draw from.
After reading the article, I forgot about the games that were played in Japan those two seasons- I still don't understand why they don't use Eastern Conf. teams this time going to England- it would make much more sense- and why not the Penguins for that matter- I mean Crosby is the main attraction that everyone wants to see- seems to me that would be the ideal team to go- oh well.

Last edited:

Trizent

Mar 4, 2005
Oil Country
I am happy for the people of England who love hockey and the NHL. But from a NHL stand point this is stupid. They are having trouble marketing the game in the US nevermind taking it abroad. Bettman is trying to copy the NBA and the NFL and bring the NHL everywhere. The only difference is the NBA and NFL are established the in US and the NHL is not. Bad move

As for copying, NHL had regular games played outside of North America about 10 years ago.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
As for copying, NHL had regular games played outside of North America about 10 years ago.
Yup. I actually took a trip to Japan to see the Sharks vs Flames open up the '98 regular season with two games in Tokyo. The Ducks and Canucks opened up in '97 with a similar two game set.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
http://www.eliteleague.co.uk/

and just where would the Kings play????!!!!

THERE ARE NO ARENA IN LONDON ENGLAND

I live here

the arena the London racers play in is crap

if they come to the UK

they wont be playing in London

Obviously that NHl/ESPN chose not to ask "Oh--by the way, is there even an arena in london?"

We have 12 million friggen football stadiums that seat 50k +

not single real hockey arena!

Steve L*

Jan 13, 2003
Southampton, England
Visit site
TV companies actually pay for the rights to show NHL games in Europe, more than the NBA or MLB and maybe even the NFL.

The British would appreciate hockey if they got the chance to see it live. They have the patience to watch a flowing game where its clear the vast majority of Americans dont.

Steve L*

Jan 13, 2003
Southampton, England
Visit site

I live here

if they come to the UK

Obviously that NHl/ESPN chose not to ask "Oh--by the way, is there even an arena in london?"

Look in the other thread, theres even pictures of it and its owned by the owners of the Kings.

KeydGV21

Jul 25, 2006
If they want games in Europe, why not exibition or preseason games instead of regular season games that count in the standings. Look what happened with baseball when they opened in Japan- the teams that played over there struggled when they came back to the states for a number of games until they got reacclamated again. The same thing will probably happen in this case- and consider it is a significant distance from California to London- whereas if they had the Rangers and Boston to play for example there would not be quite the distance and time difference as with the far west teams. With football you have the week between games- but with hockey you would not have the number of days to rest when you come back from overseas. Also, I think if they were to have a few games over there- no offense to London, but why not Sweden or Finland or even the Czech Republic which have a more establised hockey fan base to draw from.
After reading the article, I forgot about the games that were played in Japan those two seasons- I still don't understand why they don't use Eastern Conf. teams this time going to England- it would make much more sense- and why not the Penguins for that matter- I mean Crosby is the main attraction that everyone wants to see- seems to me that would be the ideal team to go- oh well.

The Kings are being picked because of ownership owning the stadium in the UK... playing a pair of games means it has to be another western team because they'd only have 1 game to play against eastern teams

EbencoyE

Nov 26, 2006

Just because they need to work a few things out in the States doesn't mean they should completely ignore another important market. Europe has alot of potential. The NFL, NBA, and even the MLB have decent followings in Europe. Hockey is already a popular sport there and the NHL should capitalize on it.

This is long overdue. The NHL has been ignoring the European market for far too long. Paris, Amsterdam, and Berlin would be great places for games too. The NHL should schedule atleast one European tour a year during the preseason like the Leafs did not too long ago.

The NHL needs to start working closer with the IIHF. The NHL has the money and is a powerful North American name. They could really help out European hockey and the IIHF if they wanted to.

hluraven

Aug 15, 2005
London

I live here

if they come to the UK

Obviously you chose not to read the article you criticized. The arena is being built inside the Millenium Dome.

Also the London Racers have not existed for over a year, so you clearly know what you are talking about with regards to London hockey :dunno: :help:

Paxton Fettel

Mar 3, 2006
London? Is that a joke?

Open the season in Sweden or at least Germany. Or in Moscow (if the Caps face the Pens the arena will be full).

Kesler Kills Kommies

Dec 6, 2004
no, they should really consider open the season in hong kong! Cant get any more rad to play on the eigth floor in a shopping mall/

Juni

Mar 24, 2004
London, England
www.thechels.net
Ha this guy claims to be in the UK yet doesn't appear to know his London, England from his London, Ontario.

The O2 arena, formerly the Millennium Dome, is in Greenwich, South London. Ten minutes from London Bridge station. So yeah, "not in London".

and as hluraven said, the London Racers (RIP) haven't played hockey in over a year. Not really sure what you're getting at there dude...

EbencoyE

Nov 26, 2006
London? Is that a joke?

Open the season in Sweden or at least Germany. Or in Moscow (if the Caps face the Pens the arena will be full).

Yep. Because hockey obviously isn't popular enough in Sweden or Russia. It's very important that we spread the game there. :sarcasm:

(Just so you know, most Russians and Swedes wouldn't give two craps about an NHL game in their country. They have their own popular domestic leagues with relatively good talent. Atleast in London it might have a positive impact and do something for the sport.)

Phil333

Dec 26, 2003
New York City
The NFL has gotten over 100,000 ticket requests already for the Giants-Dolphins game. If the NHL can get some of that hype too, it can only be good for the game. Articles on ESPN about the game in London, pictures of a packed stadium, merchandise sales abroad. This is a solid move by the NHL. Is it going to make the game popular here in the States? No. But this will not hurt the NHL, can only help.

And the Rangers-Leafs played 2 exhibition games in London in 1994. Where did they play?

hluraven

Aug 15, 2005
London
And the Rangers-Leafs played 2 exhibition games in London in 1994. Where did they play?

Wembley Arena (IIRC) when it was able to host hockey. Most finals in the UK were held there at the time, it has since been rebuilt and is not able to host hockey.

krudmonk

Jan 12, 2006
Sannozay
Try 500,000 ticket requests from 160,000 people.

Hockey's not as popular by some measure mind.
Do all in London/England/UK/Europe carry the same pejudices that Americans do when it comes to seeing NFL as greater than NHL? I'm doubting it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->