Source: Gary Bettman inducted into Hockey Hall of Fame [upd: confirmed]

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Pretty much to be expected. Essentially any longterm commissioner in any sport would be expected to get elected to the Hall of Fame regardless of their actual merit.

That being said, I don't think anyone that's still involved in a sport or a profession should be considered eligible for the Hall of Fame while they are still active. I'm not suggesting that Bettman has any horrific skeletons in his closet, but we've seen plenty of circumstances of formerly respected individuals get into assorted Halls/Walks of Fame while still active only to have that completely blow up with discoveries of horrific pasts, the most notable example in my head being Joe Paterno. It also ignores the possibility of future actions that could completely change the situation.

Save the Hall of Fame for retired players, coaches, executives, and other people.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Pretty much to be expected. Essentially any longterm commissioner in any sport would be expected to get elected to the Hall of Fame regardless of their actual merit.

That being said, I don't think anyone that's still involved in a sport or a profession should be considered eligible for the Hall of Fame while they are still active. I'm not suggesting that Bettman has any horrific skeletons in his closet, but we've seen plenty of circumstances of formerly respected individuals get into assorted Halls/Walks of Fame while still active only to have that completely blow up with discoveries of horrific pasts, the most notable example in my head being Joe Paterno. It also ignores the possibility of future actions that could completely change the situation.

Save the Hall of Fame for retired players, coaches, executives, and other people.
Yeah that is my first thought. It is deserved....but why now?

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Bettman is unpopular, but he has shepherded the most successful expansion of the league, and it has been remarkably stable in that time. The only franchise to relocate in the past what - 20 years has been the Thrashers? The NFL and NBA haven't seen that type of stability, and the MLB only has because of some arcane rules.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
I would never call three lockouts and constant rule-changing stability. And, in this era, with so much information and media, you'd have to be a complete moron not to grow the game.

Whatever. Not surprised.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I would never call three lockouts and constant rule-changing stability. And, in this era, with so much information and media, you'd have to be a complete moron not to grow the game.

Whatever. Not surprised.
He works for the owners. The owners decide to lockout - he's the face that gets all of the blame.

Blaming owners for lockouts is silly, especially when (a likely majority) of the fans of the league like most of the changes the lockouts brought. I for one like a hard salary cap, and I like the changes from the last lockout that limited cap-avoiding maneuvers.

Reactions: cptjeff

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
Well I mean he IS famous. And he was involved with hockey. For better or worse he had a huge impact.

Besides he's going in as a "builder" and while some are legit, you also have a lot of garbage entries. Jeremy Jacobs in the Hall? lol. Peter Karmanos? Bill Wirtz was satan himself and he's in. Harold Ballard. Nobody really takes a lot of the builders seriously. Those should be reserved for truly great gm's, executives, and trailblazers.

Reactions: amethyst

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
It's a no brainer. I guess they could wait until he's retired if they want, but he's a lock for the HHoF.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad