Sounds like Pierre McGuire doesnot like Montoya

Status
Not open for further replies.

trahans99

Apr 7, 2004
Home of the 2005 Memorial Cup
Has anyone else noticed McGuirre ripping Montoya up during the WJ games. I have heard him say things like - His work habits are very weak, is fundamentally flawed etc etc...

I cannot really blame him for his comments, Montoya has looked very shaky this year after last years great tourney. Whats the difference this year. I know the US isnot as strong as last year but he has let in a few softies for the ages. I have never seen him play, but my guess he may have gotten over confident or too cocky and let his work habits slip abit after the year he had last year and being drafted as the first goalie in 2004. McGuirre also mentioned that someone had mentioned to him that this is how Montoya has played at U of Michigan (letting in weak goals).

So can someone tell me, what has happend to him and should the NYR be worried. I know hes young and has lots of time, but he doesnot look like a #6 overall pick, more like a 3rd or 4th round goalie (based on this tourney)

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
how could anyone not notice. He says it frequently and for good reason. McGuire also explains why he holds his opinion (rebounds into juicy scoring areas) and Montoya kept making the same mistakes.

Obviously, the Rangers aren't excited over his play but at the same time I don't beleive they are pointing fingers at their scouts just yet. You can't argue Montoya's talent level. He displayed it last year where he was a dominating presence at this same tournament. He has the talent to play elite level hockey. What you are seeing now is correctable.

What his play does do is create a great deal of skepticism by other teams on Montoya's NHL potential. I would expect the words "inconsistent" and "streaky" to be attached to his name for quite some time. Phoenix fans continue to experience the aftereffects of one bad performance at the WJC's anytime discussions on future impact goalies and the name David LeNeveu pops up.

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
Maybe because Montoya is bad when he's supposed to be good.

But then again, he seems not to like Olesz either someone said.

Whatever, Montoya hopefully for NYR will be alright when he gets back to Michigan, but that first goal on that 3 on 1 was a weak shot last night. Right in the middle of the net in terms of height, and he flopped down. I guess that isn't good fundamentals when he didn't move with the pass and just went on his stomach, but 3 on 1s are hard to stop.

espo*

Not this year he does'nt....he's been taking damn near every opportuinity he can to rip the guy.It's always interesting with Pierre,unless of course you are the parents of one of these kids and you are watching the game on tsn.

RoyIsALegend*

cyclops said:
Not this year he does'nt....he's been taking damn near every opportuinity he can to rip the guy.It's always interesting with Pierre,unless of course you are the parents of one of these kids and you are watching the game on tsn.

I'm not a parent, nor a family member of any of these kids, yet I still get infuriated with Pierre Maguire. It's one thing to point out a mistake, or to razz a guy about it, but to constantly keep mentioning the same crap over and over again, and bursting blood vessels while doing so, is tedious and boring.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
RoyIsALegend said:
I'm not a parent, nor a family member of any of these kids, yet I still get infuriated with Pierre Maguire. It's one thing to point out a mistake, or to razz a guy about it, but to constantly keep mentioning the same crap over and over again, and bursting blood vessels while doing so, is tedious and boring.

Yes, he is getting on everybody's nerves. I wish there was some kind of selective sound-off feature, which would let you shut down one or both of the announcers, without muting the audience etc. ;)

espo*

RoyIsALegend said:
I can see where you are coming from.I really get a kick out of Mcguirre but he does things that can make you wince from time to time.He's been stuck to montoya like **** on a woolen blanket this year.Every year someone or something is his whipping boy.This year it seems like it's montoya.The real cheap shots are the comments that go something like this "the Swedes just want to throw the puck on net from anywhere with this guy because he's capable of letting anything in" Stuff to that effect.....i'm sure you've heard it.He's been riding him hard.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
I just hope Montoya shuts down Russia and plays great against Canada for the sole purpose of shutting him up... Oh yea, and being a Ranger and USA fan :D

em1ss

Dec 27, 2004
PA, USA
RoyIsALegend said:
I agree with you. I was about to do a rant on him too, but that's his problem. Just doesn't know when the point is made and over. Keeps repeating it like a woman that believes she's won the argument. He needs a partner that can just **** slap him to his senses. :banghead:

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Well, Montoya played amazing against Sweden so Mcguirre really has nothing to talk about. He let up one bad goal against the Czech's also. The last two games he's been good. VERY good against the Swedes.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Pierre doesn't pull any punches.

Yes, it can be annoying but the thing is, 90% he gets it right and that's what matters most to me. I used to be very annoyed at fans around here who spewed crap that didn't make sense.

Then roughly 2-3 years ago I got the center ice package and was exposed to an unbelievable number of hockey analysts, most of them complete idiots who misinform their audience. I notice that this crap made its way to HF among other things.

All this to say, analysts do play a part in educating the masses and I do think McGuire is one of the better ones out there.

In ANY tournament matchup, things will be repeated because you will be exposed to the same teams. It's part of the drama and what makes hockey fun. This is why most of us love the playoffs with long series and tournaments like this. It's only normal that certain players and certain plays will be under the microscope.

The only area where Pierre used to annoy the hell out of me was his outrageous , dripping bias towards team Canada. That was hurting his credibility big time. He has done a *much* better job this year keeping it under control.

Most of his repeated rants are right on target. Montoya has sucked, no way around it. Kessel was electrifying and he was raving over him. The WJCs are elite events. McGuire is not there to make the players feel good but rather to analyse for the largest segment of the audience who is unable to do so. His job is not to protect Montoya's ego, or make Mike Milbury feel good when he drafts a ****ing hack like Nilsson and passes on a rocking prospect like Parise.

I'd like to know who are the analysts better than McGuire out there. I don't know a single one and I've heard a good chunk of them on TV. On the substance he is right on. On style, I guess it's a matter of taste. I see McGuire as an entertaining guy. Doesn't look very serious and goes crazy but what he has to say I agree with most of the time.

His comments on refereeing, on those ****ing sticks that shatter when you look at them, on the various strategies by teams and on two line passes make sense most of the time.

The one thing that is odd about him is that he provides more color than almost any play by play guy. Usually, I think producers try to find a very cerebral dude for the analysis and want a colorful play by play guy (like the guys in Buffalo and Pittsburgh to name two). McGuire is odd because he provides analysis AND color and that is somewhat distracting.

He's overexcited big time but that's what makes him entertaining once you get over it.

espo*

Vlad The Impaler said:

Yes, it can be annoying but the thing is, 90% he gets it right and that's what matters most to me. I used to be very annoyed at fans around here who spewed crap that didn't make sense.

Then roughly 2-3 years ago I got the center ice package and was exposed to an unbelievable number of hockey analysts, most of them complete idiots who misinform their audience. I notice that this crap made its way to HF among other things.

All this to say, analysts do play a part in educating the masses and I do think McGuire is one of the better ones out there.

In ANY tournament matchup, things will be repeated because you will be exposed to the same teams. It's part of the drama and what makes hockey fun. This is why most of us love the playoffs with long series and tournaments like this. It's only normal that certain players and certain plays will be under the microscope.

The only area where Pierre used to annoy the hell out of me was his outrageous , dripping bias towards team Canada. That was hurting his credibility big time. He has done a *much* better job this year keeping it under control.

Most of his repeated rants are right on target. Montoya has sucked, no way around it. Kessel was electrifying and he was raving over him. The WJCs are elite events. McGuire is not there to make the players feel good but rather to analyse for the largest segment of the audience who is unable to do so. His job is not to protect Montoya's ego, or make Mike Milbury feel good when he drafts a ****ing hack like Nilsson and passes on a rocking prospect like Parise.

I'd like to know who are the analysts better than McGuire out there. I don't know a single one and I've heard a good chunk of them on TV. On the substance he is right on. On style, I guess it's a matter of taste. I see McGuire as an entertaining guy. Doesn't look very serious and goes crazy but what he has to say I agree with most of the time.

His comments on refereeing, on those ****ing sticks that shatter when you look at them, on the various strategies by teams and on two line passes make sense most of the time.

The one thing that is odd about him is that he provides more color than almost any play by play guy. Usually, I think producers try to find a very cerebral dude for the analysis and want a colorful play by play guy (like the guys in Buffalo and Pittsburgh to name two). McGuire is odd because he provides analysis AND color and that is somewhat distracting.

He's overexcited big time but that's what makes him entertaining once you get over it.
I pretty much agree with everything you said about Pierre here.I really like him as he knows his stuff big time and he makes the games exciting.I can see why some people don't like him but he is exciting to listen to and knows his hockey,i'm always learning something new and that's what a color guy should do......that's good enough for me.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I like PM alot. He's a great hockey mind and if any of you guys ever get to meet him you'll see that he about as good a person as can be. He makes himself open to talk to people and doesn't come across as "stuck up". That being said he is pretty annoying when he feels the need to put on a show and IMO his Montoya bashing has become out of line.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
i don't think there's any reason to really be worried about montoya yet...he has the talent and ability to be a great goalie and unless he has several years like the one he's having this year, i'm not gonna worry. in a way, struggling might be good for him in the long run, to teach him he needs to work harder.

as for macguire...nothing wrong with calling out players who aren't playing well but i think you gotta temper it a bit and not go overboard. i don't know what macguire has been saying, but i hear he's ripped several players and doesn't let up...dunno, you eventually have to just realize you've made your point and stop harping on it so much

littleHossa

Apr 7, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
I'm really starting to dislike PM, I don't remember what position he had with the Penguins, was it assistant coach or scout? He's a biased person, that has favourites and players that he doesn't like but he passes it to the public as objective opinions thanks to his rashness. It's impossible not to agree with PM by the end of a game on whatever subject he's trying to fight for unless you already took a hard stance before he brough the subject/player up.

I remember in USA's first game, he went on to say how bad Montoya was, how he wasn't sharp. When Montoya made a good save in the first two periods, he would say"credit Montoya for trying to make the save even when playing bad" and in the third pediod when Montoya was a lot better he would say that Montoya finally woke up and was getting a bit better in the game, not making Montoya sound like a diference maker.

Let's not forget some of his other biases, every time Crosby touches the puck or just beats someone in the corner he raves how good he is, just like every time USA has a problem or the 2004 draft is being talked, he brings Parise into the mix. He just has certain biases, the NJD are another, when talking about Vrana, saying something of this regard:"The draft is all about luck, but year after year the Devils draft another great player" I think that from an organization's point of view, he wouldn't be a profetional, his own opinions are the only things that matter and he will try to convince everyone else that what he thinks is the only right choice, it can be dangerous if he had recomendations to make about players, and I do sense over a broadcast that they are attached to him, some sort of proving his intelligence to the world.

NYR2

Feb 19, 2004
New York
PM sounds like one of those kinds of people that can't be indifferent, it's just impossible. Thank God I don't have to watch this moron.

Levitate said:
i don't think there's any reason to really be worried about montoya yet...he has the talent and ability to be a great goalie and unless he has several years like the one he's having this year, i'm not gonna worry. in a way, struggling might be good for him in the long run, to teach him he needs to work harder.

as for macguire...nothing wrong with calling out players who aren't playing well but i think you gotta temper it a bit and not go overboard. i don't know what macguire has been saying, but i hear he's ripped several players and doesn't let up...dunno, you eventually have to just realize you've made your point and stop harping on it so much

I agree with all of that, Lev. Good points.

em1ss

Dec 27, 2004
PA, USA
Vlad The Impaler said:

Yes, it can be annoying but the thing is, 90% he gets it right and that's what matters most to me.

vlad, I have to agree that he is usually right, but he just keeps grinding the point home too long some times. And yes there are much worse guys on Center Ice that don't have a clue.

em1ss

Dec 27, 2004
PA, USA
littleHossa said:
just like every time USA has a problem or the 2004 draft is being talked, he brings Parise into the mix.
That was what put me over the edge with him, the draft and Parise. He was going nuts the whole draft over him. Parise this, Parise that, I can't believe Parise is still on the board ...YADA YADA YADA Nothing against Parise, but this was an example of not letting his point go.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Does anyone care what this guy says? Last week on one of his analysis bit he sayed Sidney Crosby is better than Peter Forsberg on the sideboards, now nothing against crosby cuz I think the kid is amazing, but crosby is playing against well teens while forsberg plays against men. Not a very good comparison imo.

Kovy274Hart

Jul 9, 2004
Shaolin
www.battleofny.com
I used to like the guy but he's become obnoxious. McGuire forgets that these are still kids. Not pros. Kids will make mistakes. Was he ripping on Marc-Andre Fleury as much last year when he blew that game while Montoya outplayed him?

Yes, Al has not had a good tournament. But I bet PM is a little bitter about last year.

He also should stop ripping the Isles for selecting Nilsson. I heard Nilsson had a good game last nite and he still was bashing him. What a jerkoff!

The Isles were not the only team to pass on Zach Parise. And none of these guys will see the NHL for a while. Judge how they do then. Not now.

NYR2

Feb 19, 2004
New York
Kovy274Hart said:
I used to like the guy but he's become obnoxious. McGuire forgets that these are still kids. Not pros. Kids will make mistakes. Was he ripping on Marc-Andre Fleury as much last year when he blew that game while Montoya outplayed him?

Probably not. :rolleyes:

Kovy274Hart said:
Yes, Al has not had a good tournament. But I bet PM is a little bitter about last year.

I could see that.

QcS

Sep 13, 2003
au Québec!
Visit site
Montoya has not had a good tournament. That being said, i am incredibly annoyed at Pierre Maguire.

I'm a neutral fan watching this tournament (not cheering for any team, my country is not represented), and i do enjoy the hockey being played, but Maguire takes every opportunity to rip on Montoya, and then doesn't give the player his props when he plays well. Montoya played a very solid game vs the Swedes, yet Maguire didn't say anything good about his play. You can bash a player all you want, but at least recognize when the player is doing good things.

I've watched this tournament since i was young, but never have i been annoyed by an announcer as i am with him.

Oh, and Olesz lay a good hit on Phaneuf early in the game. Had it been the other way around, we would still be hearing about it.
:shakehead

all that being said, great game by Canada. I do not see them losing this tournament.. they are truely the strongest team IMO. Without Schwarz today, it could have been a blowout.

em1ss

Dec 27, 2004
PA, USA
Leph28 said:
all that being said, great game by Canada. I do not see them losing this tournament.. they are truely the strongest team IMO. Without Schwarz today, it could have been a blowout.
Thats how it sounded on the radio feed. Schwarz kept them in it and they had a chance.

Puckhead

Jun 13, 2004
Behind you!!!
RoyIsALegend said:
While I can sympathize with anyone who is a fan of Montoya, I simply see as McGuire doing his job. If Montoya had made a mistake and McGuire went off on him for the rest of the game, that would be wrong. However, I have watched all of the US games and he has made big time mistakes in almost every game. So, how can you fault Pierre for repeating his rant on Montoya, if Montoya keeps making huge mistakes, that in my opinion have really hurt his team chances of let alone repeating as gold medallists, but getting a medal at all? If the US loses to Russia tonight, they will in all liklihood lose to the Czechs on Tuesday.

Puckhead

Jun 13, 2004
Behind you!!!
Leph28 said:
Montoya has not had a good tournament. That being said, i am incredibly annoyed at Pierre Maguire.

I'm a neutral fan watching this tournament (not cheering for any team, my country is not represented), and i do enjoy the hockey being played, but Maguire takes every opportunity to rip on Montoya, and then doesn't give the player his props when he plays well. Montoya played a very solid game vs the Swedes, yet Maguire didn't say anything good about his play. You can bash a player all you want, but at least recognize when the player is doing good things.

I've watched this tournament since i was young, but never have i been annoyed by an announcer as i am with him.

Oh, and Olesz lay a good hit on Phaneuf early in the game. Had it been the other way around, we would still be hearing about it.
:shakehead

When bad far out weighs the good, you tend to make mention of it more often. Let's not forget Montoya was the reason the US won last year, and that was the reason he went so high to the Rangers in the draft. He is a big boy, and some much deserved criticism from Pierre McGuire is nothing, compared to what he faces from the scouting services around the globe. This tournament can make a young prospect, but it can also break them just as quickly.

After what Montoya was able to do last year, he came in with some excess baggage this year, and mentally he just hasn't shown up. Don't fault the commentator for doing his job, fault the player who let his team down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->