Sound Tigers “rebooting”? **UPDATE** changing name to BPORT Islanders

will5059

Mar 7, 2010
Madison CT
The one cool thing is we’ll probably get to see cool variations of islanders jerseys with the AHL squad.

I’m willing to bet they eventually have a fisherman third to see how the fans react to it.
Not as long as Lou is involved.

will5059

Mar 7, 2010
Madison CT
Are they playing at the Coli now?
You guys think they would go through the time to register trademarks and do a rebrand knowing they would do it all again the following year? If they were moving to the Coliseum why wouldn't they go through a lame duck year as the Sound Tigers and do all this nonsense once? Only articles I can see from the past couple years other than bloggers saying they hope they end up on LI is the Islanders saying they plan to turn The Coliseum into a concert venue.

Beacon Isles

Feb 20, 2015
Beacon, NY
You guys think they would go through the time to register trademarks and do a rebrand knowing they would do it all again the following year? If they were moving to the Coliseum why wouldn't they go through a lame duck year as the Sound Tigers and do all this nonsense once? Only articles I can see from the past couple years other than bloggers saying they hope they end up on LI is the Islanders saying they plan to turn The Coliseum into a concert venue.

I agree. I think any talk of moving from Bridgeport to the Island is a long shot and blogger fodder.

Reactions: will5059

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Why is the stick upside down?

The tape on the stick looks like an "M" and resembles the MTA logo.

Couldn't they remix the Fisherman logo and just put Pelech's face on it?

Peterpuck7810

Jan 13, 2021
That logo is absolutely horrible..... Looks like someone's third grade kid made it... Was Lou too cheap to spend more that $50 for someone to come up with that crap??? Easily the worst logo in the AHL....

Reactions: scott99

scott99

May 13, 2005
That logo is absolutely horrible..... Looks like someone's third grade kid made it... Was Lou too cheap to spend more that $50 for someone to come up with that crap??? Easily the worst logo in the AHL....
Yeah it’s pretty damned fugly.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
My money's on the Coliseum being turned into commemorative paper weights like The Spectrum.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
My money's on the Coliseum being turned into commemorative paper weights like The Spectrum.
The land it sits on is infinitely more valuable than the arena (which even with an AHL team would be nothing but a gigantic money pit) so yeah, it's days are numbered.

Wanderson

Aug 1, 2011
Can someone explain the old name “Sound Tigers” for me since I’m not from the US and I don’t understand what Tigers has to do with Connecticut..? What does it even means?

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
Can someone explain the old name “Sound Tigers” for me since I’m not from the US and I don’t understand what Tigers has to do with Connecticut..? What does it even means?

It’s completely a made up thing.

“The title is a reference to the Bridgeport Sound Tigers, the AHL affiliate of the New York Islanders. The team plays out of Bridgeport, Connecticut, but adds the 'Sound' in homage to the Long Island Sound, according to Wikipedia. As someone who knew of the town, I read it as "the Sound Tigers of Bridgeport." A 'Sound Tiger' is not a thing. You're welcome.”

What's a "Sound Tiger"? An NHL Fan's Guidebook to the AHL

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Is it possible that this logo is a leftover from some secondary logo work (like for hats, etc.) the team had done when they moved to Brooklyn? And the NY on the stick was more prominent at that time?

I know I'm reaching, but this thing is just so odd....

Taswell

Oct 4, 2017
I hope down the line they move to the arena being built in Ronkonkoma (why they are building an arena there is still beyond me, but I digress...)

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Is it possible that this logo is a leftover from some secondary logo work (like for hats, etc.) the team had done when they moved to Brooklyn? And the NY on the stick was more prominent at that time?

I know I'm reaching, but this thing is just so odd....
It may be, but to me the rebranding is another opportunity to push the Fisherman yet again.

Now which theory is odder?

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
Who is going to play there? Air Supply and Connie Francis?

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
As others have pointed out, the name Islanders makes little sense for a mainland team. I get the connection to their NHL sponsoring team but....nah.

The only think dumber was when the NBA's New Orleans Jazz moved to Utah yet kept the Jazz name. :huh:

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
As others have pointed out, the name Islanders makes little sense for a mainland team. I get the connection to their NHL sponsoring team but....nah.

The only think dumber was when the NBA's New Orleans Jazz moved to Utah yet kept the Jazz name. :huh:
Or when the Lakers moved from Minneapolis to Los Angeles
Or when the Dodgers moved from Brooklyn to Los Angeles.....

Those are the 2 that come to mind first.

Reactions: The Real JT

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad