Sound Tigers “rebooting”? **UPDATE** changing name to BPORT Islanders

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Don’t know what this means or if it’s anything serious but if Ledecky and Malkin find a way to get these guys playing at the coliseum that would be unreal.
The AHL season just ended so maybe it has to do with that?

Reactions: Thrasymachus

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Don’t know what this means or if it’s anything serious but if Ledecky and Malkin find a way to get these guys playing at the coliseum that would be unreal.

They'll now be known as the Bridgeport Mainlanders?

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Always thought getting the Sound Tigers to the Coli would be the way to go. Further cements the Isles marketing foot print. Can do cool stuff like cross promotional double header with shuttle service from Coli to Belmont.

Also gives ownership another development opportunity. They’ve already demonstrated they are competent at getting these things done.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Looks like a name change towards Islanders.

AHL Sound Tigers to Become Bridgeport Islanders?

Not a fan of the name because it doesn't fit, but from a marketing standpoint it makes complete sense. Using that stylized B with the hockey stick ties it back to our original logo and the new NY logo the team has been using. I'll be interested to see the rest of their re-brand and might pick up some merchandise if it doesn't suck.

Reactions: periferal

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Not a fan of the name because it doesn't fit, but from a marketing standpoint it makes complete sense. Using that stylized B with the hockey stick ties it back to our original logo and the new NY logo the team has been using. I'll be interested to see the rest of their re-brand and might pick up some merchandise if it doesn't suck.

Should’ve kept Sound Tigers. Then they could put a big BS on the front. :sarcasm:

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Looks like a name change towards Islanders.

AHL Sound Tigers to Become Bridgeport Islanders?

Ug....Why? A few other teams do this, but most have different names than their AHL affiliate. The Islanders* are starting to do well and shedding their embarrassment label that they eared the past 15-20 years. Now they want to have the same name as a team that is one of the worst teams in their league annually?

Also there was ZERO wrong with the Sound Tigers name. Was actually kinda cool - Tigers is always a fine name and they're located on the Sound so it fits and sounds right. I've been to Bridgeport (and even looked at a map) and it's no Island.

*Also pretty soon we're going to refer to the "Islanders" and have to clarify if we're talking about the NHL or AHL squad. Just an annoyance for no reason.

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
The stylized B looks like a 13.

maybe that’s why barzal sat out.... he’s going to Bridgeport to lead the sound tigers to a champeenship!

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Ug....Why? A few other teams do this, but most have different names than their AHL affiliate. The Islanders* are starting to do well and shedding their embarrassment label that they eared the past 15-20 years. Now they want to have the same name as a team that is one of the worst teams in their league annually?

Also there was ZERO wrong with the Sound Tigers name. Was actually kinda cool - Tigers is always a fine name and they're located on the Sound so it fits and sounds right. I've been to Bridgeport (and even looked at a map) and it's no Island.

*Also pretty soon we're going to refer to the "Islanders" and have to clarify if we're talking about the NHL or AHL squad. Just an annoyance for no reason.

Someone better tell Rhode Island.

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018

Good. The tigers never really felt all that connected to the isles...

Granted I'm a sucker for Sparky, and he is pretty damn random as far as mascots go

Reactions: Strummergas

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Good. The tigers never really felt all that connected to the isles...

Granted I'm a sucker for Sparky, and he is pretty damn random as far as mascots go
Just two days ago my daughter asked me why Sparky was the Islanders mascot. I explained to her about the arena football dragons and how he was their mascot and became the islanders mascot by default.

personally, I didn’t mind Nyles

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad