Injury Report: Soshnikov (concussion) hasn't been cleared yet. Feeling symptoms over the summer.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
Tough break. Hope he can make a full recovery, but there's no need to rush it that's for sure. Amazing how these things can linger on for so long.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
I'm not sure what exactly the Tweet is implying: Is Sosh still experiencing symptoms or are the symptoms gone but he hasn't yet formally met with Leafs doctors to clear him to play? The former would be worrying. Either way, I guess that answers the question of whether he was really injured or just got beat out of a job by Kapanen down the stretch last year.

In the long run, Sosh is going to have to learn to reign himself in a bit. The human pinball game he plays is part of what makes him an effective player and one of the funner guys to watch on the ice but it undoubtedly takes a physical toll. He needs to play more like Komarov (still a pest but in control and picking his spots) and less like Grabovski (a similarly reckless player who's career, sadly, appears to be over on account of concussions) if he hopes to have a long career in hockey and (hopefully) a healthy life after it.

Last edited:

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I'm not sure what exactly the Tweet is implying: Is Sosh still experiencing symptoms or are the symptoms gone but he hasn't yet formally met with Leafs doctors to clear him to play? The former would be worrying. Either way, I guess that answers the question of whether he was really injured or just got beat out of a job by Kapanen down the stretch last year.

In the long run, Sosh is going to have to learn to reign himself in a bit. The human pinball game he plays is part of what makes him an effective player and one of the funner guys to watch on the ice but it undoubtedly takes a physical toll. He needs to play more like Komarov (still a pest but in control and picking his spots) and less like Grabovski (a similarly reckless player who's career, sadly, appears to be over on account of concussions) if he hopes to have a long career in hockey and (hopefully) a healthy life after it.

Soshnikov didn't have the frame to play that way either.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I wouldn't expect him back for awhile. This might affect his career to be perfectly honest.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
This may offer the Leafs an opportunity to hide Soshnikov for a year until the group of veteran UFAs leave the team next summer.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
He should take his time in returning. I liked his game but he was a bit all over the place
Like Nylander and other players, the Leafs will take their sweet time. As they should

I hope this is just a bump in the road

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
The Leafs are going to have to be careful with him, and make sure he does the right thing for himself and allow himself to heal.

No doubt, he see's all the Leafs depth and will feel that any extended leave from the Team may see him fall further and further behind on the depth chart, but he absolutely has to take care of this first, and let everything else fall where they may....

I hope he gets better fast. He's a spunky player, and while I'm not convinced he has a future on the Leafs, I do think he has a future in the NHL. He's got to take care of personal health first, however.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Tough break for him but the harsh reality is it's not a big deal for the team. He wasn't going to be around this Team for much longer anyway.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Convenient injury for the club to suffer right now. There was a good chance he would have been pushed down the lineup anyways. He gets some time off, the NHL lineup gels a bit, and when he is better he comes in try and push out the weakest link. He could get Wally Pipped of course, but that may have happened anyways because his value as a PK is reduced with the current lineup and minus that he doesn't stack up to Leivo offensively.

I think a 10 game stint in the AHL to get his offense going would have been good for his confidence even if he wasn't hurt. I think he will be back, but will this change his game?

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Signifies the importance of having depth, and hopefully we do. I'd think a healthy Soshnikov would've made our top 12.

Super Mega

Jun 29, 2013
He needs to play more like Komarov (still a pest but in control and picking his spots) and less like Grabovski (a similarly reckless player who's career, sadly, appears to be over on account of concussions) if he hopes to have a long career in hockey and (hopefully) a healthy life after it.

The Grabovski comparison is very apt, Brandon Kozun is another leaf that comes to mind.

I wonder if its external pressures to perform, surely staff would reign him in if they wanted too in that regard

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
thats what depth is for, sosh was high on the depth chart, good thing we have solid depth at the forwards

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
The Leafs are going to have to be careful with him, and make sure he does the right thing for himself and allow himself to heal.

No doubt, he see's all the Leafs depth and will feel that any extended leave from the Team may see him fall further and further behind on the depth chart, but he absolutely has to take care of this first, and let everything else fall where they may....

I hope he gets better fast. He's a spunky player, and while I'm not convinced he has a future on the Leafs, I do think he has a future in the NHL. He's got to take care of personal health first, however.

Or dump him for whatever they can get.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
The kid has zero hockey sense. I like watching him but I don't think he has an NHL future. Hope he makes a full recovery.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
This may offer the Leafs an opportunity to hide Soshnikov for a year until the group of veteran UFAs leave the team next summer.

They didn't really need that though. Sosh was waiver exempt this year anyway(until he plays 3 more games) And if you're hiding someone for a year injured, it means they're not playing for a year, which obviously wouldn't be good.

Hope he feels better soon, But this just makes his chances of making the team even less than it was. Take all the time you need, get better and go down to the Marlies and rehab until we need you.

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012
I wouldn't expect him back for awhile. This might affect his career to be perfectly honest.

It absolutely affects his career. Having concussion symptoms for 4 months is terrible news tbh.

Hoping he makes a speedy recovery.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
They didn't really need that though. Sosh was waiver exempt this year anyway(until he plays 3 more games) And if you're hiding someone for a year injured, it means they're not playing for a year, which obviously wouldn't be good.

Hope he feels better soon, But this just makes his chances of making the team even less than it was. Take all the time you need, get better and go down to the Marlies and rehab until we need you.

Do not forget that the latest research suggests that an extended time off is the best way to recover (and have a good quality of life in retirement) when post-concussion symptoms persist for months.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
Tough news for the kid hope he recovers and gets back in the lineup.

His first goal still makes me chuckle, the pipe music and the Ric Flair woooooo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->