Value of: Sorokin to New Jersey

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
The Devils aren’t giving up the pieces it would take to make a deal for Sorokin. It would revolve around an unprotected high first round pick, one of the young main pieces of the core/future at minimum (Luke Hughes/Simon Nemec) and go up from there.

• Haha
Reactions: Zajacs Bowl Cut

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
The Devils aren’t giving up the pieces it would take to make a deal for Sorokin. It would revolve around an unprotected high first round pick, one of the young main pieces of the core/future at minimum (Luke Hughes/Simon Nemec) and go up from there.
I think the OP (apparently a Sabres fan?) had thr idea that the Isles would want to dump Sorokin coming off a meh year and having a long expensive extension about to kick in. NJ fans with one or two exceptions are still familiar enough with Lou to know that he sends out picks and prospects he doesn’t trade for them.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
I think the OP (apparently a Sabres fan?) had thr idea that the Isles would want to dump Sorokin coming off a meh year and having a long expensive extension about to kick in. NJ fans with one or two exceptions are still familiar enough with Lou to know that he sends out picks and prospects he doesn’t trade for them.
He should know better. They know that an offer of a young player, cap dump and a pick won’t work within division and the aging vets they have don’t do anything for the Islanders either.

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Sponsor
He should know better. They know that an offer of a young player, cap dump and a pick won’t work within division and the aging vets they have don’t do anything for the Islanders either.
The OP? He didn’t open with an offer just that Sorokin would want to get away from Roy. NJ is picking in thr lottry this season. They aren’t in a position to move young pieces. It’s a silly idea from the get go. There was a narrative over the past couple of years that NJ just needed a goalie but after this season I don’t see how any NJ fan could believe a goalie alone is going to put them back in the playoffs let alone be an actual contender.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
The OP? He didn’t open with an offer just that Sorokin would want to get away from Roy. NJ is picking in thr lottry this season. They aren’t in a position to move young pieces. It’s a silly idea from the get go. There was a narrative over the past couple of years that NJ just needed a goalie but after this season I don’t see how any NJ fan could believe a goalie alone is going to put them back in the playoffs let alone be an actual contender.
It was true for like the first 25 games or so when the team was firing on all cylinders and the goaltending was utterly horrific. But since then there have been significant issues with the bottom 6 (especially after losing McLeod), and the defense

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
The OP narrative is sitting on that because Varlamov is playing over Sorokin right now. Lambert burned Sorokin out with the 10 game stretch and not relying on Appleby/Skarek just to give him a rest. Sorokin had a down year and it showed, he’s ready to just reset in the summer and come back even better. He can easily regain his previous consistency.
As for NJ, the injuries on the backend caused them to implode. They have the youth but the depth is extremely fragile.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
Sorry Isles, you're stuck with him.
Meanwhile Shesterkin is a Ranger for 1 more season and can leave for free. He is going to get his giant contract and the Rangers will be stuck with him for 7/8 years. You better hope they can win the big prize with him or that long-term deal could be like this Sorokin one.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Meanwhile Shesterkin is a Ranger for 1 more season and can leave for free. He is going to get his giant contract and the Rangers will be stuck with him for 7/8 years. You better hope they can win the big prize with him or that long-term deal could be like this Sorokin one.
It could. He's a top goalie so he's going to get paid for sure.

Glorydays22

Nov 21, 2011
What would it take for Devils to land Sorokin?

I doubt Sorokin wants to stick around with Roy
First off, not trading Sorokin...He just has a bad year. We just signed him to a long term deal this past year. And Secondly, even if Lou wanted to deal him, no way within our division.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
First off, not trading Sorokin...He just has a bad year. We just signed him to a long term deal this past year. And Secondly, even if Lou wanted to deal him, no way within our division.

Well when this popped in my head I never felt Isles would trade him because he had a bad year. It was pretty much about Sorokin wanting out and demanding a trade. Yes it's unlikely and probably won't happen but you never know.. Goalies are weird like that..just ask Patrick Roy

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Well when this popped in my head I never felt Isles would trade him because he had a bad year. It was pretty much about Sorokin wanting out and demanding a trade. Yes it's unlikely and probably won't happen but you never know.. Goalies are weird like that..just ask Patrick Roy
Didn’t Roy also have major issues with Montreals management then?

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa

I’m an NJ fan, and I think they’re a good goalie, a good coach, and better injury luck away from being a contender. They’ll most likely fix the coach thing this summer, and injury luck is largely uncontrollable. So yeh, I think the only player move they need to make (other than the usual depth deck chair shuffling) is to improve at goalie.

My3Sons

Sponsor
I’m an NJ fan, and I think they’re a good goalie, a good coach, and better injury luck away from being a contender. They’ll most likely fix the coach thing this summer, and injury luck is largely uncontrollable. So yeh, I think the only player move they need to make (other than the usual depth deck chair shuffling) is to improve at goalie.
Health and a little bit of maturity probably fixes the defense but I think they need to renovate the supporting cast among the forwards. Last season they moved on from some speedy guys like Wood Sharangovich and Boquist and didn’t really replace them with guys who were fast or particularly physical. They have to figure that out in my view. If you look at the stats Kahkonen and Allen put up with NJ they were good but the team lost anyway. Maybe it was just injuries or the team had thrown in the towel but I think they need to figure that out for a goalie to truly make the difference for them.

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
If you look at the stats Kahkonen and Allen put up with NJ they were good but the team lost anyway. Maybe it was just injuries or the team had thrown in the towel but I think they need to figure that out for a goalie to truly make the difference for them.

I don’t think Travis Green was really a different voice and that’s what they needed. An actual new coach, and building something new from a training camp, would provide a much better indication of if a coaching change can help this group, than just a promotion from within the existing coaching staff in mid-season ever would.

My3Sons

Sponsor
I don’t think Travis Green was really a different voice and that’s what they needed. An actual new coach, and building something new from a training camp, would provide a much better indication of if a coaching change can help this group, than just a promotion from within the existing coaching staff in mid-season ever would.
I'd like to think you are correct.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad